Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 AM

On most 4 stroke motors, if you lay them down on the wrong side, oil will leak into the cylinder(s). Perhaps this happened over the winter or when doing the water pump.

Is there a place that you can take the motor and let it run for a while (20-30 min) to see if it clears up? Or even better yet, put it on the boat and run it under power to see what happens.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM

The motor he has posted for sale is the motor I sold him, and which i purchased from another AO member a few years ago. It is a nice 9.8 and if i needed another motor i would buy it back from him.

From owning a Tohatsu, i would definatly buy another one, they run nice and quiet and are pretty reliable, it is unfortunate he is having problem with the
15HP unit.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM

**UPDATE**

I purchased a service manual online and took the head off. Very easy process.. took around half an hour. Gasket looked fine to me but im not 100% sure what a bad gasket looks like. Anyways i ordered a new gasket and it came in yesterday. Will install tomorrow and update again. And yes this is the 15HP not the 9.8
Here are some pics..

What do you guys think?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouzou123 View Post
What do you guys think?
That you should have just bought a compression tester for $30 and tested it instead of ripping things apart... Compression tester would have told you if there was an issue with the head gasket...

Now you are stuck on step 1 again if the new head gasket doesn't fix things... In other words if it still has same issues go out and buy a compression tester and test it...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 PM

UPDATE.

Put everything back together using new gaskets, torqued everything to spec and started it. Started on first pull but smoked a little. Yesterday we took it to the river and ripped around for an hour and bam no more smoke . The next day we took out the spark plugs and both of em looked the same. Started it one last time and ran smooth without smoke.

Thank you everyone for your input and help

keeley lake here we come
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM

awesome, great update, glad it all came together. now to enjoy the fruits of your labour, good fishing
Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouzou123 View Post
UPDATE.

Put everything back together using new gaskets, torqued everything to spec and started it. Started on first pull but smoked a little. Yesterday we took it to the river and ripped around for an hour and bam no more smoke . The next day we took out the spark plugs and both of em looked the same. Started it one last time and ran smooth without smoke.

Thank you everyone for your input and help

keeley lake here we come
Almost certainly just a little grime in the fuel system that burned off with time. Good to hear it wasn't anything major.