Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2023, 08:22 PM

Default Alberta Health system brutal

My 79 year old mother had mouth cancer surgery a month ago. She needs to be fed through a stomach GI tube daily. Today we noticed redness around the tube by her stomach. Numerous calls to doctors and homecare. They send us to one of the Mcqaig buildins by hospital. Cause it's Friday they were closing? Sent to ER. Sitting there past 4 hours waiting. What a debockle health care system we have. Frustrating.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:29 PM

Canada wide issue

Lower mainland in B.C. was the worst place I have seen so far
Old 07-07-2023, 08:35 PM

Drayton Valley emergency room was closed for the night a couple of nights ago
no doctors in town wished to man the ER and the locom docs were not available
has happened a couple of times a year

oh well

the town of dv celebrated the Philippine independence from Spain in about 1890
day rather than deal with the health care and hospital issues

understand it’s a province issue but really

what the heck has Philippine independence have to do with the towns responsibility under the municipal government act

we are literally doomed
Old 07-07-2023, 08:41 PM

Thank Ralph and the conservative old boys club. Doubled the population and cut healthcare. Worked out exactly as planned, make it all go to crap and sell it to the yanks.

The high rollers in boardrooms and the legislature don’t care about our families.

My pregnant wife had to sit in ER with a dangerous infection brewing for 7 hrs. Hope your mom pulls through. I hear ya, makes one angry as hell.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:42 PM

Talk to someone in health care and hear what shows up in a ER. Wife can tell you lots.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:49 PM

Best friend's daughter has been a "travel nurse" to both Saskatchewan & BC within the last 6 months, things are bad in Ontario also that I know of

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-07-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Best friend's daughter has been a "travel nurse" to both Saskatchewan & BC within the last 6 months, things are bad in Ontario also that I know of
Should see the interprovincial bidding war for recruitment. She can show ya the numbers.

We’re at the point where money isn’t enough. People want a better work life balance, especially post Covid with all the insane workloads, mandatory OT, cancelled time off, and political attacks. BC just legislated nurse to patient ratios. I expect a concurrent “bidding war” regarding working conditions. Alberta will be on the losing end of both. It ain’t getting better any time soon.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:13 PM

Wonder what happened to the 5000 nurses Stelmach was going to hire?
Old 07-07-2023, 09:16 PM

They haven’t built a new hospital in Edmonton since ‘88 and it’ll be a miracle if one opens by 2034. Lmao
Old 07-07-2023, 09:44 PM

So we phoned GI clinic at 1pm. They don't get back to us till 3 we go to clinic get there around 4pm. Then they say we need to go to ER as they are short staffed. So my poor mom has had no meds no feed since noon. We still wait in ER. Tried to talk to someone in charge. Sooo frustrating.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Thank Ralph and the conservative old boys club. Doubled the population and cut healthcare. Worked out exactly as planned, make it all go to crap and sell it to the yanks.

The high rollers in boardrooms and the legislature don’t care about our families.

My pregnant wife had to sit in ER with a dangerous infection brewing for 7 hrs. Hope your mom pulls through. I hear ya, makes one angry as hell.
"FREE" health care will do that. Everyone with a skinned knee or a boil on their back side runs to Emergency because they are to lazy or to entitled to go to their GP and have it looked at. So people with real issues are put on the back burner. The drug epidemic has a LOT to do with it as well. Friend works for public transit, there are at least eight over doses every day on her eight hour shift. And this is in a relatively small city, can't imagine what the bigger centers have to deal with.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:13 PM

Canada wide issue. Broken system.

How about the majority of our taxes are payed to our province or city where we live. The feds waste most of it away .

How much beracracy from federal government wastes millions of dollars on health system?

Not like we have a military to defend ourselves. Federal government takes too much and has nothing to return.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
"FREE" health care will do that. Everyone with a skinned knee or a boil on their back side runs to Emergency because they are to lazy or to entitled to go to their GP and have it looked at. So people with real issues are put on the back burner. The drug epidemic has a LOT to do with it as well. Friend works for public transit, there are at least eight over doses every day on her eight hour shift. And this is in a relatively small city, can't imagine what the bigger centers have to deal with.
This right here. "Free"

Also have they rehired all the medical staff AHS fired for not pumping themselves full of unknown medical experiments??

AHS fires a bunch of staff and then complains about being short staffed. Durrrrrr.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
This right here. "Free"

Also have they rehired all the medical staff AHS fired for not pumping themselves full of unknown medical experiments??

AHS fires a bunch of staff and then complains about being short staffed. Durrrrrr.
None were fired but given “ unpaid leave “. I would have to ask my wife if the vaccine restrictions were lifted but I do know that even AHS stopped at 2 shots as being mandatory. I know recently a lot of measure’s regarding Covid were lifted for AHS staff

What I do know is at least a portion of the health care workers who left over the vaccine policies never did come back and won’t

But really the healthcare system has been declining long before Covid and this is just a small drop in the bucket
Old 07-08-2023, 04:26 AM

Canadians have been duped into believing how great our "free" healthcare system is, to the point that any discussion of privatizing / partially privatizing healthcare is sacrilegious. Unless it's changed recently, and one would assume that would be for the worse, Canada ranks #30 on the World Health Organization's list of health care systems. #30. You'd think that there would be some room for improvement, but Canadians are oblivious to the fact that our system is unsustainable, and health care services are already rationed. Importing a million new citizens every year is not going to help that, unless most of them are doctors and nurses. I would expect things to continue to decline, based on the financial geniuses that run the country / voters that continue to support said geniuses, for the foreseeable future.

I hope the original poster's mother received the help that she needed. The system does indeed suck, but this is not just an Alberta thing, it is a Canada wide issue.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:53 AM

Would definitely help the system if citizens were more healthy and policed themselves better health wise rather than taxing the system with their self induced health issues. Lots of natural disasters out there..

I’m not lumping the OP’s 79 year old Mom in this demographic as we dont know her personal health history or habits. Good luck to the OP’s Mom!!
Old 07-08-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Canada wide issue

Lower mainland in B.C. was the worst place I have seen so far
Yup, similar stories from all over the country.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-08-2023, 08:31 AM

This is the end result of forced vaccinations or layoffs due to not conforming to the ridiculous mandates. Educated, intelligent people walking away from a decent paying job because their beloved government is forcing their junk into your arm. Good for them. I guess nature will take its course. Can't force people to be nurses or doctors....yikes! I shouldn't say that!
Old 07-08-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Canada wide issue. Broken system.
That darn Ralph!
Old 07-08-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
This is the end result of forced vaccinations or layoffs due to not conforming to the ridiculous mandates. Educated, intelligent people walking away from a decent paying job because their beloved government is forcing their junk into your arm. Good for them. I guess nature will take its course. Can't force people to be nurses or doctors....yikes! I shouldn't say that!
Fake news. People leaving were a minuscule number. For your reference. There are over 11,000 doctors in Alberta. Over 34,000 nurses in Alberta. Don’t believe everything you read on click bait websites. It comes down to shortage of training universities and past hiring practices that drives institutions enrolment limits. Then drug users filling hospitals, aging populations, strain on the healthcare system due to past pandemic and worker fatigue. Many got zero vacations for two years or more. It’s was very bad for the healthcare staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Chat with a nurse or doc at emerg. Lots of drug addicts filling hospitals these days.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 07-08-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
They haven’t built a new hospital in Edmonton since ‘88 and it’ll be a miracle if one opens by 2034. Lmao
New Hospitals built in SHERWOOD Park and Fort Saskatchewan in 2011.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:24 AM

Maybe if drug overdoses and bruises were at the bottom of the triage list wait times would improve.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:26 AM

First of hope OP mother gets the care she needs

I feel for you !!

My tale......

Wife gets really sick, took here to hospital emergency 4:30 pm

gets admitted, a few people in emergency

waiting her turn, than about 5:30 ish emergency getting busy

Dr. sees wife, about 5:45, needs to go to RD hospital will get a ambulance to take here

1.5 hrs later no ambulance , nurses reassure us its enroute , OK fine

No ambulance came..

9 pm I drive wife to RD hospital ,mean time the emergency ward ,at said hospital is now getting real busy, with patience crying ,screaming, causing disturbances RCMP arrive.

before we left I asked nurse what's with are all the people.

she said Drugs and alcohol related each one of them

All this stuff is self induced no wonder there are some serious issues in the medical field and it not getting better anytime soon
Old 07-08-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Fake news. People leaving were a minuscule number. For your reference. There are over 11,000 doctors in Alberta. Over 34,000 nurses in Alberta. Don’t believe everything you read on click bait websites. It comes down to shortage of training universities and past hiring practices that drives institutions enrolment limits. Then drug users filling hospitals, aging populations, strain on the healthcare system due to past pandemic and worker fatigue. Many got zero vacations for two years or more. It’s was very bad for the healthcare staff.

Someone has a differing opinion and it's fake news from click bait websites?
One could say you may have been guilty of click bait sites for a 2ish year period

Last edited by MountainTi; 07-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:33 AM

Never heard of New Hospital in Ft Sask, same old one when I lived their in 1970's. The UCP Never finished building Sherwood Park Hospital, believe only built a clinic instead. The recent election was a decision between a New Hospital in Edmonton or build a skating rink in Calgary, lace up your skates.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Maybe if drug overdoses and bruises were at the bottom of the triage list wait times would improve.
A result of healthcare being free.
Still remember doing my medicals for a class 1 every 5 years (of which cash is required). Always did it in Drumheller at the medical clinic. Every time I was in there the rather large waiting room was 75% hutterites. That's a problem
Old 07-08-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
There's a changed attitude in society, these jobs require a 24 hour a day commitment and involve shift work and being on call, interferes with people's leisure time. Local dentist works 3 days a week 9 to 4. That's why we need immigrants, they still have a work ethic.

Grizz

Old 07-08-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
A result of healthcare being free.
Still remember doing my medicals for a class 1 every 5 years (of which cash is required). Always did it in Drumheller at the medical clinic. Every time I was in there the rather large waiting room was 75% hutterites. That's a problem
The problem with Hutterites is keeping straight who's who. Only so many given and surnames to go around. there are a fair number of colonies out that way.

Grizz

Old 07-08-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
New Hospitals built in SHERWOOD Park and Fort Saskatchewan in 2011.
We've had this discussion before.

38 inpatient beds in Ft Sask
0 inpatient beds in Sherwood Park

They're both about the weakest definition of "hospital" one can muster.

Edmonton metropolitan area has grown by approximately 750,000 people since 1988--so essentially in 35 years, Edmonton has grown by the entire population of Winnipeg and has built two new hospitals that have a grand total of 38 inpatient beds while currently having absolutely ZERO timeline on building another new hospital despite posting an $11 bln dollar surplus and record rates of net migration into Alberta.

Our conservative overlords at work. Prentice was right--we need to look in the mirror. Until then, our health system will continue to starve.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:08 AM

And they haven't added on to the existing hospitals in Edmonton, they've stayed exactly the same?