Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Your advice on a 3 weight

So, loving the fishing. I dont want to replace my 5 weight, but over the winter I'd like to build a 3 weight setup for the tight little streams i seem to frequent the most. The 5 weight does ok, but lugging 8'6" of rod though the bush can be challenging at times.

Tried out my buddies 3 weight, 7' combo. Nice setup, but this guy's not ready to shell out a grand on another rod just yet.

So what would you build for a nice little stream rod? And what ballpark in price would it cost (minus the line, backing etc)?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM

When picking weight of rod your first consideration should be what fly you are going to cast. Length of rod is for size or obstacles around the water. It is much easier to bring in larger fish than most people think with smaller weight rods. If you ever break a rod because you just had too much resistance on the end it will break just above the cork if all was good with the rod. Action and tippet strength is where the fish finds the weakness and breaks you off. I have a 3 weight that is 7'6" and it is my go to for Cutties and really enjoy it.

* With the line on the light weight rods they are the nicest to cast with a double taper line. I would pass on the weight forward stuff going under 4 wt.

Last edited by lannie; 10-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM

me too 3wt 7'6". echo carbon. it's around 170$ and an older redington rise. I love it. it is a medium fast action 4 piece with a flat black blank so no flash to scare the fish. look into them really nice rod. paired up with some good line good time.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM

I've got a cheap series 1 tfo 6' 2wt. I don't care about quality too much for a rod where I only cast 25 feet and mainly catch 8" trout on. I'm happy with it.

It's just tricky to find a reel that will balance it.... I might upgrade to a hardy ultralight cc next year from the amundsen txs.

If I were to upgrade the rod, I'd go with this:

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/pr...f2-streamflex/

there's a streamlite reel to match it too that looks pretty nice.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM

I will look into that rod. I would like to keep it 7.5' or less. $170 isn't bad for a fly rod, im hoping to keep the whole package less then $400-$500 as i still need a decent set of waders. And actually when i say decent waders, i mean ones i can hike in for hours on end without getting all sweaty and such. I was even considering a good set of paddling pants as i dont tend to get more then knee deep in the water.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM

no such thing even the most expensive Simms are hotter n hell. the okuma slv is a nice sized reel for 80$ not the best but not bad for the $$$$$
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM

I have been reading up on this very subject on several fly fishing forums.

The Orvis Superfine seems to get rave reviews and is the number one recommended rod for light stuff that I have found so far.

The Redington Classic Trout is also very popular on a budget. I am leaning this way as I like the warranty and I don't think one has to break the bank for a stream rod.

The Grey Streamflex is also mentioned quite often.

I have not fished any of them so I am in the same boat as you.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 PM

If you're willing to go even lighter, check out the Rainforest 6'6" 2wt blank. Super sweet little rod to fish. I like it with a weight forward line, double taper isn't very nice on it. It's cheap too, I think the blank is around $40.

As for reels, a more affordable one is the White River ultralight fly reel at Bass Pro. The Sage Click series is another nice one, but more expensive.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM

I fish a 7'6" 3 wt Redington CT and like it a lot for streams like Racehorse, the Liv, JP, etc. I have an 8' 3 wt Dan Craft Five Rivers LT Custom for the Oldman and similar sized water. The CT is a tad soft for the Oldman, especially when the winds up!!

P
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 AM

These are all great suggestions, i will look into these and hopefully have a 3 weight setup for the spring. As mentioned earlier, when i go fishing for the day, its usually on small streams. When im out camping with my family, the 5 weight will be my steady as we will most likely be on the bigger rivers. I was looking into the sage 4200 and 2200 (believe thats the right model). One thing i like in a reel is a machined billet reel as opposed to cast, just for the durability.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM

I have a Sage 4200 with a spare spool. DON'T DO IT!!!

The spare spool doesn't fit properly. Had to go back for warranty work.

Sage makes nice rods, but crappy reels. Go with the Hardy UltraLite DD for about the same price.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnyd View Post
I have a Sage 4200 with a spare spool. DON'T DO IT!!!

The spare spool doesn't fit properly. Had to go back for warranty work.

Sage makes nice rods, but crappy reels. Go with the Hardy UltraLite DD for about the same price.
Never have owned or looked at a sage but is the spare not identical to the "original" spool the reel is equipped with?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM

I would check out the Galvan Brookie for a 3wt reel.

Very light weight, fully machined and excellent price point

For a rod, the Winston VSL 376 4pc is a gem of a rod and worth sourcing a dealer and taking it for a test cast
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM

I've been using a tfo pro 7'6" 3wt with a tfo midge reel for 5 + years and have been real pleased with this set up for small streams.Rod is $150 +/- and reel is $70 +/-. Worth a look!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingwest View Post
And actually when i say decent waders, i mean ones i can hike in for hours on end without getting all sweaty and such.
Good luck. I don't think there is such a thing. Also, if you are hiking for hours in waders you are hiking for hours in wading boots. I have a good, comfortable pair of Simms Guide boots, but I wouldn't want to cover 10 miles in them. If you are going that far you put the waders and boots in your pack.

Like your idea about other options. I wet wade (pants or shorts) June to September. Waders are just a hassle when it's that warm. Just wear neoprene booties and your wading boots. Or even sandals or old running shoes. Wading boots offer the most support however.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Well, guess its stick with wet wading then lol. We fished willow last week and wet waded with snow on the ground. Right now my "waders" are a pair of carhart bib overalls and hiking shoes. I found a neat set of paddling boots I might try from mec. Deepest I've intentionally waded is around 24" so they should do for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions on the 3 weight. I can wait to go shopping.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM

My 3wt is a Greys, which I quite like. I'm a huge fan of Peiroway Rods, and I'd love a 3wt Element (http://www.pierowayrods.com/element-series/). It is 219.95, but it is 8.5.' (The Peiroway . . . I bought my 3wt used from "cdone")

I use a little Amundson Reel on mine: http://www.amundson.ca/accessories/f...S_G2_reel.html It is an itty bitty little thing. 129.99

I don't remember what line I've got on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingwest View Post
I will look into that rod. I would like to keep it 7.5' or less. $170 isn't bad for a fly rod, im hoping to keep the whole package less then $400-$500 as i still need a decent set of waders. And actually when i say decent waders, i mean ones i can hike in for hours on end without getting all sweaty and such. I was even considering a good set of paddling pants as i dont tend to get more then knee deep in the water.
These are my favourite waders:
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=24003

I have two pairs of overall style waders, but I much prefer the hip waders for comfort.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM

I use a TFO 3 wt - 7'6" rod. I mostly fish smaller, tight streams and I have nothing to complain about my set up. Last year I had a 8" cutthroat on and a big 26" Bull swallowed him whole. It took a bit of finesse but got him without breaking the rod. 3 wt's are stronger than most people think.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Never have owned or looked at a sage but is the spare not identical to the "original" spool the reel is equipped with?
Long painful story...

Bought the reel with an extra spool. The reel was milled wrong and my line kept getting caught in between the spool and housing. Sent it back for warranty but kept the extra spool. Came back fixed, but the extra spool now takes a little convincing to set it correctly on the reel spindle.

Will buy a Sage rod again but never a Sage reel.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
I've been using a tfo pro 7'6" 3wt with a tfo midge reel for 5 + years and have been real pleased with this set up for small streams.Rod is $150 +/- and reel is $70 +/-. Worth a look!
Was able to try a few rods out, and this is the one i did choose, now to narrow down which reel i want. I do like the tfo bvk, and the sage 3200, but have not seen many others yet. Lots of time before next season though, no rush
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Right on .I'm sure you will enjoy this rod.I need to replace my line this year. Just wondering what line you liked best.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Working on a couple of 6'6" 3 wts. They come with 2 tips. And if you hurry, I'll do the handle/reel seat and wraps just the way ya' want 'em.
They are not graphite or created by the Chinese they are made in Canada although the bamboo is Chinese.

regards,

Don

web site: bamboorods.ca
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
Right on .I'm sure you will enjoy this rod.I need to replace my line this year. Just wondering what line you liked best.
I hope youre not asking me what line i like, im still a noob and have only fished the cheap line that came with my tfo combo.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Ive got a 3wt finesee TFO WITHAN AWESME WHITWATER LIGHT REEL. AWESOME FOR SMALL CREEKS AND SMALLER WATER.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM

for reels, have a look at the hardy ultralight CC, and if you like the classic look, a hardy featherweight.

I don't know what your price range is, but you may also want to try the nautilus FWX. be careful though, you pick one of these up and you might not want to put it down

Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 PM

You should be able to pick up a Sage TXL blank on ebay for 150-200. The Sage Click II gets my vote.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

Opti creek 388-4. Problem solved.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
You should be able to pick up a Sage TXL blank on ebay for 150-200. The Sage Click II gets my vote.
I always had my eye on a sage click but there's a part of my brain that will not let me buy a $300 reel that has no drag.....

instead I bought a $250 reel that has no drag (see OP)