Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Arrow spine for 50 lb. recurve?

I haven't hunted with a bow in a lot of years. Down in South Australia I have bought a "Basic Hunting Permit" that allows me to hunt all sorts of "feral" critters.

A permit for a gun and buying a gun requires one to go through a lot of hoops, while standing on a tight rope juggling. But I can hunt with a Bow and arrow without any permits.

So I bought a takedown recurve, arm guard and shooting glove. then I picked up two cheep allum. arrows (2317).

The bow is 50 lb. pull.

What spine arrows should I be shooting on this bow? String length is 146 cm and my draw length is a little under 28 inches

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 AM

IIRC you take your bow weight and subtract/add 10 lbs. of spine for every inch of draw, then add 10 lbs. for the broadhead.

IE. 27" would be 40lbs., then back up to 50 lbs. for your broad head.
Then add and other 10 lbs because you ant to shoot an 1" longer arrow.
For arrow weight, use 100 grains of arrow for every 1lb. of bow draw, then add 100 for the broad head, and another "just because".
I like to shoot HEAVY arrows!
However, Ii have seen different systems as well....
Cat
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM

2314's are way too stiff. For example I just ordered some arrows for a friend and he's 28" & 55 lbs with a t/d recurve and the best starter selection for him was a 2212 or better yet a 2114 both choices were with a 125 gr b/h & I believe a 30" cut length. (As far as I can recall)

These choices were made from strictly a spine point of view w/o taking mass into the equation since I'm building the arrows so that he can shoot bowbirds with his son. However, a straight flying arrow will outperform a heavier crooked flying shaft any day of the week.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

This will give you some idea:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM

wow, my numbers are way off - I think I need to shove someone's software into an orifice.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 AM

most arrow manufactures will have charts availible on their websites. That being said length of arrow, tip weight and draw weight are the biggest factors in arrows spine. You can shoot the arrows that you have (although some may not agree with me), they will not properly flex around the bow (archers paradox) and will shoot to the left because they are spined to heavily. Or you can buy the proper arrows for your set up, this will make you more consistant and eventually with practise... accurate.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM

With my longbow and recurve both 49-50lbs 27.5 inch draw length I can either shoot 600 spine arrows with a 100gr-125 gr point, depends on length of arrow or 500 spine arrows. My current set up for Bear if I can go is 49lb longbow, 500 spine victory arrows cut to 29.5 inches wrapped with 3 four inch feathers and a 175gr VPA broadhead on the front. These fly like darts out of my bow.

This is what I know works for me but then again I have been told I do things backwards.........lol
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM

I shoot a 50lb recurve and 2016 29.5 inch aluminum arrows has always worked for me. They fly really well with 125 grain points. Got this arrow from looking at numerous traditional spine charts online.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
With my longbow and recurve both 49-50lbs 27.5 inch draw length I can either shoot 600 spine arrows with a 100gr-125 gr point, depends on length of arrow or 500 spine arrows. My current set up for Bear if I can go is 49lb longbow, 500 spine victory arrows cut to 29.5 inches wrapped with 3 four inch feathers and a 175gr VPA broadhead on the front. These fly like darts out of my bow.

This is what I know works for me but then again I have been told I do things backwards.........lol
So you're saying my software isn't as far off as it would appear on Easton's website? Hmm, interesting. A bit of liability management maybe?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:17 PM

http://peteward.com/2010pages/calcul...2011-22-09.xls

http://peteward.com/2010pages/calcul...structions.pdf

The Stu Miller spine calculator is closer than Eastons for traditional Bows. Eastons is way off.

Pete
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM

for the most current version of Stu Miller's spine calcuator, visit http://heilakka.com/stumiller/ Nice to know that my software isn't as whacked as it 1st appeared.

This calculator is free and requires a spreadsheet program to run. If you don't have a spreadsheet program such as Excel. Sun Microsystems offers OpenOffice which is an excellent substitute for MS Office. There's a link to OpenOffice on Stu's website.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Normally I refer to the charts but leave the arrows a couple of inches long then if you notice they fly to the left at further out distances you can cut them back a bit and fool around with point weight. If you buy a dozen work with 3 of them till you get it right then cut the rest. If you are just starting a proper release and follow through will determine good arrow flight moreso than having your arrows fine tuned.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Let me correct that before I get jumped on, if they fly left they are to heavy for they are not bending around the bow, add point weight to correct, if the fly right they are light so remove point weight if still light cut shorter a half inch and try it again till you find the fit. If this bow has center shot adjustment the point of the arrow should be to the left of the string when looking down the center of the bow when the arrow is nocked on the string.