Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
You may want to review the Alberta and Canadian labour laws... employees are allowed X number of personal days per year, I believe it is 5. As far as an explanation, unfortunately that is none of your business, If I have to call in sick, its a text message stating "Im sick" and thats all you get, end of story.

At my workplace a text message is perfectly acceptable. If it is abused then maybe you have to start calling your supervisor.
Correct, personal leave after 90 days an employee is granted 5 days, not to be carried forward per year. This can be paid or unpaid, depending on employment contract.

The "texting" of an employee for absence is ridiculous... We have land lines and your direct supervisor should be contacted in regards to your absence.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:49 AM

Part of the attraction for employers having more part timers than full time employees would be hassles like sick days, bereavement etc.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:01 AM

I fail to see how texting isnt acceptable. It's a physical record whereas on a phone it is verbal. And to be honest as supervisor of 10 guys, if I get up and see that someone's texted, it allows me to start thinking about who goes where sooner. Its way more of a pita having to listen to a story when I'm trying to kick off my day and get the crew moving.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Part of the attraction for employers having more part timers than full time employees would be hassles like sick days, bereavement etc.
No the benefit is in the lack of benefits. Part time people still get sick. I worked part time through school and the manager was always calling because someone called in and they were short staffed. You get a different type of dedication when a person works part time.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
You may want to review the Alberta and Canadian labour laws... employees are allowed X number of personal days per year, I believe it is 5. As far as an explanation, unfortunately that is none of your business, If I have to call in sick, its a text message stating "Im sick" and thats all you get, end of story.

At my workplace a text message is perfectly acceptable. If it is abused then maybe you have to start calling your supervisor.
You are mostly correct. Every employee in Alberta has 5 days personal leave, cannot be accumulated from year to year, and the employer is not required to pay wages for these days.

Employers are allowed to create there own policy. For sick days a person is not required to bring a doctors note, however a company can ask for a reason, and not accept personal as a reason.

The government tried to tighten up the regulation, but still left it open ended.

It would be up to the company to decide how a personal and family leave day is to be reported and who it is to be reported too.

BW
Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I fail to see how texting isnt acceptable. It's a physical record whereas on a phone it is verbal. And to be honest as supervisor of 10 guys, if I get up and see that someone's texted, it allows me to start thinking about who goes where sooner. Its way more of a pita having to listen to a story when I'm trying to kick off my day and get the crew moving.
Well, the nature of my business unit requires our people to call when unavailable for work... This allows the front line supervisor to ask questions to determine the work load and or the employee to pass along information as to an job they were responsible for...

The texting " I'm sick and not coming in " does not fly in my world.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Different workplaces need different rules,
In a straight laced office world phone in or you're fired may seem draconian in construction or maintenance it's just business, if we needed 35 workers I hired 40 within a week or two the number would even out naturally. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM

at my work we have
-6 sick days per year
-after 4 straight days sick they go to short time disability
-berevement days
-day off with pay for birthday ( to be used in month of birthday)
-texting manager is ok
- holidays are booked through work day ( human resource mangement system)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Well, the nature of my business unit requires our people to call when unavailable for work... This allows the front line supervisor to ask questions to determine the work load and or the employee to pass along information as to an job they were responsible for...

The texting " I'm sick and not coming in " does not fly in my world.
what about texting "Im sick, but ill be in after lunch" and then they forget to scrub the stamps off of their hand from the bar from the night before....