Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2022, 07:55 AM

And next thing you know, you're paying as much for the various streaming services as you were for cable...
Old 10-11-2022, 07:55 AM

I'm still at 67.00/mo for internet at home, 37.00 for 2gb on the phone, same service out here in Morrin as I had in Cgy, just different companies.. Can use Google news for local stuff or Reuters website for news which is what is published on the newscasts. I broke down and use Amazon Prime for some of the newer releases, but, only what is included free with Prime. For 10 or 15.00/mo, I think I get my money's worth on that, along with some of the "no extra freight" "deals" on Amazon, or at least, a reduced freight rate. I use stuff like FB to check for clips of movies I haven't seen, search them as "watch xxxx free online", after a bit of searching they are there to be watched on multiple sites still. Being as there are no ads, I can live with some buffering here and there, most of the time it's pretty good. I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts & documentaries off YT, Spotify, far better than what is on cable TV, plenty of stories you won't hear on cable news. About all the internet I use on the phone, is I Hunter or google & google maps, to find a place. I get to watch what I like, when I want to watch it, no need to record it.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:13 AM

Default cord cutting

I have been using an android box for 2 1/2 years and have no regrets cutting the link to Bell for $160+ month. There are a lot of crappy IPTV services out there and I have attempted to use about 9 of them before I found a really good one. I pay $10 US / month for 4600 channels in multiple languages but there are 200 Canada channels. If your into the adult side of things there are more channels than you can shake your dick at
Once you learn to use Kodi and Real debrid ( $5.00 /month) there is not much that you can not watch. You do need decent internet and huge data though. I regularly us 750 gb per month
Old 10-11-2022, 08:14 AM

No need for streaming services or cable is the whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
And next thing you know, you're paying as much for the various streaming services as you were for cable...
Old 10-11-2022, 08:43 AM

I would cut the cord in a heartbeat problem is the wife can't, she needs the TV schedule to click through a half dozen times before she watch's the big bang for 100th time.
The streaming TV is a pain to watch every APP has a different menu with little or no description of a movie or series. I put interesting looking shows in my various lists on different APPs it does get confusing the wife can't be bothered to deal with that.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:07 AM

I basically only need TV for sports. Mainly hockey and baseball. Anyone use the sportsnet streaming apps?
Old 10-11-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I would cut the cord in a heartbeat problem is the wife can't, she needs the TV schedule to click through a half dozen times before she watch's the big bang for 100th time.
Haha, that is very funny. We've moved on from reruns of Big Bang to reruns of young Sheldon. We had planned to cut the cord a year ago but the wife changed her mind. Now 1 year into this 2 year plan she's like "let's get rid of cable" lol.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:31 AM

Haha! We've been off "cable" for years now, and just reconnected last week because Telus offered us faster internet plus basic TV at a lower rate than what we were originally paying for slower internet.

When the two-year term is up we'll probably ditch it again; I honestly haven't watched a single program on it yet. Incredigirl is getting some value off it now while she's recovering from chemo, so that's good.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Cut the cord years ago and was the best move we made. Lots of ways to watch shows, movies, news, sports you just need to be savvy enough o know where and how and where you can access things. It is much nice to watch shows when we want, no commercials and never a buffer while watching. Don't be afraid to make the move but either contact someone in the know first or do you homework and you will never regret it.
Had dish tv for 3 years as it was a requirement to have the satellite internet where I live. Was literally the only thing that would work. Bought a new house and moved. Dropped dish and have been happy with just Netflix Amazon prime and Hulu. I do like some of the discovery shows so I have had discovery + as well. Not sure if it’s available in Canada but I have friends that get YouTube tv for 60$ month or so. I’m also interested in peacock as well. Most of the things like hbo go and Apple TV only have a show or 2 we like so we get the month free subscription and cancel after binging our show.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:35 PM

My wife and I cut the cord in 2010. Both of us grew up without cable as well, but I had a room mate who couldn't live without tv so there was a brief time before we got married that I technically had cable.

Anyhow, after 8 years of marriage and 2 kids later, both the tv and I had the procedure performed.

The cost for decent internet speeds definitely isn't cheap, but having decent download speeds and a streaming service is far better than cable in my opinion. We have been switching to a different streaming service every year since Netflix started having competitors. Plus there is a lot of content on the web to watch that basically comes with the internet.

I work in a control room that has a couple tv's we can watch on evenings and weekends. Even though the company is paying for the cable, everyone is watching streaming services other than sporting events. And even sports can be provided through a streaming service.

The one thing I miss less than cable, are the commercials.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I basically only need TV for sports. Mainly hockey and baseball. Anyone use the sportsnet streaming apps?
I use MLB.com to stream both the pre-season and all teams for regular season and I have Sportsnet.ca for streaming Jays games in live time (they are the only team you can't watch live time on MLB and have to wait 3 hours after the game has ended to watch) and hockey etc.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-11-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I use MLB.com to stream both the pre-season and all teams for regular season and I have Sportsnet.ca for streaming Jays games in live time (they are the only team you can't watch live time on MLB and have to wait 3 hours after the game has ended to watch) and hockey etc.
Hey tirebob,

You haven’t had any issues with either streaming outlet? Are the hockey games live time? What’s the monthly cost on something like that if you don’t mind me asking? This may be the route to go!
Old 10-11-2022, 10:39 PM

Turned ours off years ago and never looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-12-2022, 09:10 PM

Dumped it 2 years ago, digital antenna gives us 6 local channels that we don't watch. Watch youtube vids on it. Missy has 'flix and prime.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I realize this is an old thread but going to revive it. Cut the cord on Star Choice Direct after 30 years of being gouged. Nothing more than youtube and Amazon Prime until I sort out what is the best way to go. Any updates on the newest gadgetry? Very interested in what others are doing. Am in Spruce Grove so not sure rabbit ears would help much. Anyone use Telus smart hub? Happy thanksgiving to all.
I am south of spruce grove. Just got a telus smart hub and so far so good. They put up a new tower a couple miles away from us. We dont have cable and just use netflix, amazon prime and youtube for our entertainment. I definitely do not miss cable tv.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Hey tirebob,

You haven’t had any issues with either streaming outlet? Are the hockey games live time? What’s the monthly cost on something like that if you don’t mind me asking? This may be the route to go!
I just got sportsnet NOW. they have two packages to choose from. the standard package which gives you all your "local" in market games (canadian teams i believe) as well as mlb/nba and a bunch of other sports as well. This package runs $15/ month or $149/ year.

The premium package gives you all of the above plus out of market games so if you a fan out say the bruins, you can catch there games. costs for premium package is $34.99/month or its on sale at the moment for the annual cost of $199/year

you can stream all games live. i watched the oilers last night with zero issues. i only used cable for sports so going this route to watch live hockey/baseball/basketball was no brainer for me.