Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Maybe I am just limited in my experience with hunting hounds (that actually hunt) but I can not honestly say I have EVER seen one walking at heel. Nope. Never.

A hunting hound, by its very nature is an independent dog (and a pack hunting dog) - unless it has been turned into something else, like a house dog.

Do we have an "ignore" function on this forum?? Details please.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Nait just curios why you are so afraid of guys being able to have a dog with them while hunting big game? It will in no way shape or form affect you and your cat hunting. No one has stated they want a law to chase herd or in any other way use a dog to help in the harvest of big game(and we have tried to think of ways to keep people from doing this by stating there wiwould need to be regulations). They would like to have them as an animal to possible help with the work or be a companion. If anything the rules would help you out. But your obviously not smart enough to pick that up.
All your doing is making you look narrow minded and very uninformed when it comes to dogs. Funny thing is you talk about our Yuppy breeds. 2 of my last 3 dogs were hunting dogs. One a big black and tan crossed with a blue tick! Right from a very successful houndsman(my neighbor) in my area. The second is the one I have now a pure breed yellow lab. Ive worked alot with a friend that has run way more animals in Alberta in one year than you will in your life time, and guess what he uses Korilean Bear Dogs. You act like your the only one that knows anything about dogs on here.
Pack dogs have been used for many decades and the dogs are as much into it as your hounds. They get excited when the pack comes out and they love to be out doing it.
You commented that it wouldnt be fair for that Golden or Yuppie breeds. And to be a couch dog all year and then have a pack strapped to them. Exactly what is the difference than you having a hound stuck in a kennel exept for the short few months you run cats? My pack dog will be mine and my families companion and used year around, shed hunting, summer back pack trips and hiking days, fishing and then if things got changed following while I hunt. Seems to me my "Pack Dog" would have a better go than your dogs plus wouldnt live couped up in a kennel.
Do I know tons about hound hunting. No, but have put in alot of miles behind them and helping with them. Ive hunted with 5 top houndsman from Alberta and know a couple more that ive talked to about cat hunting alot. They are authorities on hounds (and I sit back and learn), they know little about other breed just like you. You know one type of dog usage. Until you know the ins and outs of other usage you should maybe sit back and try and learn a little before you condem others, as your gunna get the wrong guys mad because you are trying to stop them from having their dogs in the bush(alot more everyday hunters out there that have nothing to do with cat hunting that would be in favor of haveing the law changed)and then they will start fighting against the use of hounds and in the intrest of the other houndsman I know out there I dont think they need that.
I would say that you may want to try and inform yourself before you started spouting off about how smart you are and how little everyone else knows.

And for anyone interested here is a link to a thread I started a few weeks back on another forum when looking at what breed to get for a pack dog.
It has some great pack dog in action pictures.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=pack+dogs

SG

Last edited by sheepguide; 01-14-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Smile sorry to fuel this any more

..but proof is in the pictures
(not my pics by the way)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60709

Last edited by cowdog; 01-14-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Default dog packs....

I googled dog packs looking to see what was around and I think i found a nice one...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
This is one of the worst\Dumbest threads about argueing over such a stupid thing i've ever Heard of.

JMO but what a waste of some of your guy's time.
X10000000

there hasnt been a single VALID concern for opposition. i usually try real hard to see the other guys point of view when in a discussion, but in this case there just isnt anything making any sense from the "no" side.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
but in this case there just isnt anything making any sense from the "no" side.
Who is the "no" side?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Maybe I am just limited in my experience with hunting hounds (that actually hunt) but I can not honestly say I have EVER seen one walking at heel. Nope. Never.

A hunting hound, by its very nature is an independent dog (and a pack hunting dog) - unless it has been turned into something else, like a house dog.

chances you would see a lion hound in the park,off leash area, is pretty slim. that being said,are you advocating that pack dogs be trained to heel or leashed, or both. seems we are on to the restrictions aspect of the issue. is one hound a pack,lol
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
chances you would see a lion hound in the park,off leash area, is pretty slim. that being said,are you advocating that pack dogs be trained to heel or leashed, or both. seems we are on to the restrictions aspect of the issue. is one hound a pack,lol
We see many hounds , Plots, walkers, Redbones, Rhodesian Ridgbacks, etc, up here in the offleash park, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
Cat
Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
it is not like i'm beating you over the head with a rock trying to make my point. or shove something down your craw that you don't agree with. were adults,not kids and our posts should reflect that. the iggy button should be a last resort, seems like excessive force 2 me.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Come on, do we have an ignore function or not? I think I am going to get an infraction soon...

Nait, I try not to make things personal on these forums, but I get the feeling that you just argue with everyone/anyone for any reason; you are a troll. I have no problem with people doing that as long as their arguments have at least an iota of logic behind them or, are at the minimum, humorous. Unfortunately, yours are neither. Since your posts have been without intelligence for the last few pages, and you always seem to answer a question that has not been asked, I have decided that it is not worth entertaining you with further responses.

Enjoy the banter gentlemen.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We see many hounds , Plots, walkers, Redbones, Rhodesian Ridgbacks, etc, up here in the offleash park, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
Cat
thought it was regarding suitability as a pack dog. the hound is probably the best choice for such activities. athletic,excellent stamina no genetic disposition to hips etc. excellent nose to alert you to the bad bear approaching your camp. loud,alarming voice to scare away such threats to your person, by said bear.LOL ohh yeah, you know i have some for sale, right? LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
sheephunter

I've seen some very obedient hounds that have no trouble walking at heel. If you can control them and they don't chase, harrass or molest wildlife, I say throw a set of packs on them and enjoy the mountains.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A person just needs to read his first few posts to understand Nait's argument is Moot.
Nait made an arguement? I must have missed it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
And for anyone interested here is a link to a thread I started a few weeks back on another forum when looking at what breed to get for a pack dog.
It has some great pack dog in action pictures.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=pack+dogs

SG
Now you REALLY have me interested in this! Looks like about a two year start up when starting from a pup to get some potential. Do you have any good lines on Chocolate Labs (that's what you indicated you were after, right?)?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Come on, do we have an ignore function or not? I think I am going to get an infraction soon...

Nait, I try not to make things personal on these forums, but I get the feeling that you just argue with everyone/anyone for any reason; you are a troll. I have no problem with people doing that as long as their arguments have at least an iota of logic behind them or, are at the minimum, humorous. Unfortunately, yours are neither. Since your posts have been without intelligence for the last few pages, and you always seem to answer a question that has not been asked, I have decided that it is not worth entertaining you with further responses.

Enjoy the banter gentlemen.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Now you REALLY have me interested in this! Looks like about a two year start up when starting from a pup to get some potential. Do you have any good lines on Chocolate Labs (that's what you indicated you were after, right?)?
No lines on any breeders but I did get a great pure bred Yellow Lab pup(8 weeks old). But we took the last two males of the litter.
Does look like a great time and have gotten some good info from the boys over there. Looking forward to picking up my dogs fist pack a soon as he gets bigger.
Have a look on KIJIJI(its where I found mine) lots of Labs on there just tought to pick which ones to look at.
SG
Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4dXOrLnQhI

This video posted in that thread is exactly the point. In the end everything wins, people, dog and bear.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've seen some very obedient hounds that have no trouble walking at heel. If you can control them and they don't chase, harrass or molest wildlife, I say throw a set of packs on them and enjoy the mountains.
i have not read where they must not chase,harass,molest wildlife.

the correct wording is; shall not allow a dog to pursue big game. then you have to get into the meaning of the word and intent of the law. saying no is sufficient to meet the requirements of the act? maybe, seems to be sufficient to the courts. no means no.

back to the outfitters/hunters with dogs in camp. there is a section of alberta wildlife act that defines hunting as being in physical possession of a firearm. therefore, the question now is,why haven't wildlife officiers enforced this issue,if it has indeed happened. are these backcountry guardians perhaps and not officiers.

there has been one instance that i am aware of, where a hunter followed the trail of an animal and was accused of hunting it. the accused had no weapon,only a camera. this fellow was dealt a very severe penalty,maybe he was innocent.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Pretty elitist of you.....wanna compare pedigrees??

I'm sure your dogs are different though......hounds are pretty famous for their intelligence and should pick up the difference easily

tm
are you insulting the intelligence of my PR hounds?
still waiting on that pedigree
Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Nait made an arguement? I must have missed it.
didn't your pappy tell you not to poke the bear
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
i can control my K9 only to a certian point, he is bred to hunt,detect game and will communicate that info to me. that is something that cannot be controlled,contained. most of your mutts/mongrels/yuppy puppies don't have the same ability, so you will be giving me and perhaps a few others a very distinct advantage over you, i believe.....
My comments were in response to this.

YES I was poking fun at your dogs

I have yet to see hound listed anywhere near the top of an intelligence list. I've only met a couple in my life and one was a great dog imo. I think my response was rather subdued compared to your post.

You can check out my dogs bloodlines at:

www.bearunoffkennels.com

I think I'm done wasting my time with you.

tm
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
i have not read where they must not chase,harass,molest wildlife.

the correct wording is; shall not allow a dog to pursue big game. then you have to get into the meaning of the word and intent of the law. saying no is sufficient to meet the requirements of the act? maybe, seems to be sufficient to the courts. no means no.

No, the wording I posted was correct for a jurisdiction it's legal in. It would hardly be ethical of me to tell you to pack your hounds while hunting in Alberta now would it. I was suggesting you trying it where legal and follow the rules. Come on Nait...keep up
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM

"4)your hunting (without a weapon) something that can kill you and your hounds,be afraid,be very afraid."

Ok I some a questions for you guys.

I took this quote from Nait over in the Hound Hunting thread.

Is it normal to hunt cats without a weapon?

Would this not be considered harassing wildlife?

If you do not intend to kill it why are you chasing it?

We have a really cool law up here that allows us to pursue on snowmobile if we intend to kill it.....if you do not intend to it is illegal.

I know you tree cats that are not deemed shooters....but you do this to determine whether or not your going to kill it. If you decide not to.....then it goes its own way.....correct??

tm
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
sheephunter

A few pics of our boy actually hunting.....no chasing, harassing or molesting here

Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
back to the outfitters/hunters with dogs in camp. there is a section of alberta wildlife act that defines hunting as being in physical possession of a firearm. therefore, the question now is,why haven't wildlife officiers enforced this issue,if it has indeed happened. are these backcountry guardians perhaps and not officiers.

there has been one instance that i am aware of, where a hunter followed the trail of an animal and was accused of hunting it. the accused had no weapon,only a camera. this fellow was dealt a very severe penalty,maybe he was innocent.
You don't have to be physically carrying a firearm to be hunting. If you don't have a firearm and you are just pushing the bush for someone it is considered hunting. By the sounds of your story that is how it is enforced.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,

(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting;
Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 PM

I guess I should re-word my question.

If a guy has hounds can he go out and run cats whenever he wants or only when he's trying to kill a cat?

tm
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I guess I should re-word my question.

If a guy has hounds can he go out and run cats whenever he wants or only when he's trying to kill a cat?

tm
No expert on this but from what I know BC has a chase only season and a hunt season(I think). But for here in Alberta I beleive you can only legally run cats for the purpose of harvesting.
SG
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Good on you SH for taking your pup with ya. My hounds would be nuts if I didn't take them out walking and what have you. And they stay close and don't harass anything
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You don't have to be physically carrying a firearm to be hunting. If you don't have a firearm and you are just pushing the bush for someone it is considered hunting. By the sounds of your story that is how it is enforced.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,

(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting;
the person in question (not a story) was alone. no weapon, just a camera.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
No expert on this but from what I know BC has a chase only season and a hunt season(I think). But for here in Alberta I beleive you can only legally run cats for the purpose of harvesting.
SG
ok...maybe Nait drives over there to chase them without weapons

tm

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 01-14-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Closed Thread