Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Default Laser eye surgery

Thinking of getting this done at Lasik MD, any of you guys or gals have this done?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM

I had it done 2 years ago and wish that I had actually got it done sooner in life instead of waiting till I was 34. My eyes are a little sensitive to the light now but nothing that a pair of sunglasses doesn't cure. Haven't experienced any problems with driving at night. Went to the Lasik MD clinic down town Edmonton.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Had mine done at Lasik MD in Edmonton in 2007 and it was among the best money i've ever spent on anything. I had issues with contacts due to a thin tear layer and my eyes were constantly red because they were dried out. I had to use drops for a year after the surgery but other than that i'm good.

I did notice a slight degradation to my low light vision but I don't get any halos or anything and I do wear sunglasses more often than not when outside but I used to do that most of the time anyhow.

In my experience the benefits FAR outweighed any downside. The first morning you roll over when your alarm goes off and you can see the clock without grabbing glasses or squinting is pretty sweet.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Have a consultation end of March, to see if i'm a candidate. was price reasonable?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM

Had mine done Jan 19. and couldn't be happier. Those guys in that clinic are top notch. I wasn't expecting 2020 but I think I am better then that. It is an amazing feeling. I had the custom wavefront done. My day vision is perfect and my night vision is amazing, and I am still healing (they say 3-6 months for full healing) If my sight is as good as it is now while still healing I can only imagine what it will be like this summer.
It was a little pricey, but I went with the full meal deal and got the lifetime guarantee. But the freedom is well worth it in my opinion. No more coming in from the cold and having the frosting. No more putting the glasses down and having to feel for them.
I digress. If you want pm me if you have questions.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
I had it done 2 years ago and wish that I had actually got it done sooner in life instead of waiting till I was 34. My eyes are a little sensitive to the light now but nothing that a pair of sunglasses doesn't cure. Haven't experienced any problems with driving at night. Went to the Lasik MD clinic down town Edmonton.
Pretty much same as me..

Had it done two years ago and the only negative is eyes are sensitive on really bright days.So many positives that I can deal with one negative..

Edmonton Lasik MD treated me very well.Cost $3800 will full coverage for life.

Wish I would have done it 10 years ago..
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Do it.Lasik
I had a 1 in 100,000 complication, no residual effects it sucked so bad and I would do it again in a second. I realistically couldn't see with out my glasses and had a major stigmatism (sp?) in both eyes and now i am 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right. I paid $3800 and it was a steal, I always thought how screwed I would be if i took a tumble and lost my glasses in a river, no problem now. March 9th will be my one year.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM

I had mine done at Gimble close to 10 years ago(LASIK), just over a year ago I noticed that I was squinting to read signs. Got my eyes tested and need glasses again. I went in to Gimble right away and they seemed surprised that my eyes stayed good as long as they did. When I had my consultation there was talk of touch ups in the future. I got all the tests done again and was told that the only method that they could do was PRK with a 6 month recovery (and no further touchups due to corneal thickness). The job I have won't allow for that long at this point and I decided that although glasses and contacts are a pain I can see alright without them and rather than risk it to tweak my vision, I'll hold out in case something better comes along, or my vision gets a lot worse.

That being said I had nine years without glasses, as someone else mentioned the first time you roll over and can see the alarm clock it's well worth it.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the reply's, making up my mind got a lot easier.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

You guys mind disclosing the age(s) you had these procedures done?

Jim
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

Jim
I had them done about 15 years ago in Victoria when I was about 35. I would definitely reccomend the procedure.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM

I had mine done 12 years ago, best money ever spent !!!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM

I was 23 when I got mine done, got glasses again on my 33rd birthday.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM

28 when i did mine..
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

Jim
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Gimbel did mine when I was 40

Should have done it sooner

Well worth it.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Default laser surgery

My wife had such bad eyesight her glasses were like the bottom of the old coke bottles. She had surgery done at Gimble in Calgary 18yrs ago. Result eyesight that was slightly better than 20/20. Last year she started wearing glasses for reading. Otherwise she's just fine. My wife was 32 when she had it done.

I was going to get it done but they need to replace my lense because of astigmatism. Cost $7200. I passed. Lasik MD doesn't do the kind of work I need done so there was no other options.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Had both Lasik (1998) and Lasek (2005).

I knew I couldn'd be 100 % corrected the first time due to astigmatism. I was about 20/300 (-3.50 in one eye, -3.25 in the other). Was AWESOME.

The second time was because I *did* deteriorate a bit. I had a bit tougher time, since my eyes were dry to start with. Had to wear a bandage contact with the Lasek, had a really tough couple days while they were in.

My eyes are very VERY dry now and I *am* a bit light sensitive, but the payoff is worth it. So I have drops on my nightstand, big deal.

Was 30 the first time. I knew people in their late 40s early 50s that have had the procedure.

Mitchell in Calgary both times.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM

I had it done January 27th. Just reached my one month mark!

My left eye has 20/15 and my right eye ~20/20. I do see some starbursts from lights at night, which may or may not go away as my eyes heal. To be able to see without glasses, I wouldn't mind seeing starbursts the rest of my life, as they really don't bother me that much.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

I know an RN who took the Lazik discount for nurses.

It seemed like a really good deal.

The procedure was not successful.

Brightness, spots, and horrible night vision.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Did it 10 years ago. Can't remember the co name but the price was $1000 total for both eyes and they did the laser cut type. Was playing poker an hour later. Only a bit of night vision loss, but better than reflections off of glasses at night. Vision is still 20/20.

Also there was the warning that the procedure could speed up needing bifocals but at 48 still don't need them.

Great not having to worry about scope brow beating your glasses into you. Great for archery and no issue of sighting through the corner if your glasses.
No glasses to fall down the ice fishing hole.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM

I had the assesment in Edmonton a couple of years ago and the result was they could fix the far or near sight problems only, not both. I would still need to wear glasses so I thought what is the point.

Just my thoughts although I know others who have had it done and are really happy
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 PM

I had mine done 2 years ago at Eye Q premium laser eye surgery in Edmonton.

The doc that is there is the one that is on call for all of the U of A eye traumas.

He is incredible.

Dr Joseph Sit-Leuong (spelling may be off)

Cost 4K or there abouts. Lifetime guarantee.

Was 13 seconds in the right eye and 12 in the left. Most painful part was when they suctioned my eye straight so I could not move it.

Best money I ever spent.

I recommend it to everyone.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Default Lasik

Had it done at 46 (10 years ago). Gimble's Calgary.

Wore contacts for years, but then I was wearing contacts and needing reading glasses figured that is just stupid, not only that when shooting gophers had to take my glasses off for the scope, but put them back on to find the damn gopher.

Had to think long and hard though, you only get one set of eyes. But decided to suck it up.

Best choice I ever made. Wear reading glasses now but that is a result of age. Still have 20/20 left, 20/15 right eye.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Been wanting to get it done for years, just majorly paranoid about my eyes. When I say that I mean the last time I went to get eyes checked the receptionist had to help hold my head so the doctor could get the eyedrops in, and took about half the bottle....
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Mitchell in Calgary in June 2008 at age of 40. Went from 3.5 Left & 3.75 Right to 20/15 Left & 20/20 Right. Cost $3200.

My sister had her's done in January 2010 at Mitchell at the age of 47. She was even worse off than me; 5.5 Left and 5.75 Right. Came out of the procedure and after everything was healed, sees 20/20 both eyes.

Both my sister and I have been wearing glasses all of our lives. I got my first pair when I was 5 years old, so I'm really glad to just "wake and go".... The fact that I don't have to worry about losing contacts while swimming, or wake up and reach for my glasses to see what time it is - priceless....

I told myself that I'd be really happy if I didn't have to wear another set of glasses for 10 years, but wind up wearing sunglasses every day anyway (mostly to be "cool" and fit in with the other kids) but not overly sensitive to bright sunlight. Hunting without glasses again - priceless....

Good luck - everything will come out OK and you'll shake your head and wonder "why not sooner?"

J.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM

I had PRK done at Gimbel in January 2007. Went from -3.25 & -3.00 to 20/20 and 20/15. I was 32 at the time. Cost was $3000. Best money I ever spent.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM

I got mine done in March of 2000. I was 35 at the time. It was money well spent. If it can give you 10-15 years without glasse's, then even better.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM

Had mine done 8 years ago at Gimble in Edmonton... turned out better than 20/20 with a stigmatism... fixed my depth perception as well... i always found it impossible to judge distances while driving, especially at night... now no problem. I would do it again in a heartbeat
Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
I had mine done 2 years ago at Eye Q premium laser eye surgery in Edmonton.

The doc that is there is the one that is on call for all of the U of A eye traumas.

He is incredible.

Dr Joseph Sit-Leuong (spelling may be off)

Cost 4K or there abouts. Lifetime guarantee.

Was 13 seconds in the right eye and 12 in the left. Most painful part was when they suctioned my eye straight so I could not move it.

Best money I ever spent.

I recommend it to everyone.
i had mine done here almost 4 years ago. top notch care.

they use a laser to cut the flap...it has a higher success rate than the handheld instruments.

paid 4700.00 and it was well worth it.

only small draw back is my eyes are a little dry now when i first get up in the morning....quick couple eye drops and im good to go.