Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Banned

Default Moose and Motorcycles

So last night around 8pm I jusmped on my motorcycle to head to the gym.
I live in Edmonton but workout in Sherwood Park. Some of you might be familiar with the Whitemud where it ends and turns in 628 south of Sherwood Park.
I take the back way into the Park quite often.
Anyways, last night just as I crossed over the henday I could see a huge Moose just strolling down the highway. As I pulled up and slowed down to almost a stop, he turned and stared at me. After a few moments he headed into the ditch. It was my chance to sneak passed him.
As I started to move he changed directions and started running beside me in the ditch. I thought for sure he was going to come back at me lol. I gunned it to get away. Ill tell ya what, I have never saw an animal move that fast. There was no way he would catch me, but Ill tell ya, I was poopin my pants, until I was well passed him

Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 PM

You probably spooked and confused him causing him to do the change in direction , glad you seen him. I had one run out in front of me outside Saint John New Brunswick once. I was on a Harley flh. Was a good scare! All those what ifs started flooding my mind for the rest of the ride.

That wasn’t the closest call I’ve had though. I was going to jasper on the parkway mid day on my fathers gold wing with my wife on the back when a black bear ran in front and stopped in the middle of the road. Full brake lock up (or at least in my memory it was lol) and boy he was close looking right at us. I was trying to figure out the best way to do a 180 with that big heavy bike when he sauntered off into the ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 03:09 PM

Took my students to a drinking and driving presentation once. One of the speakers was a quadriplegic who hit a moose on a motorcycle at night as a teen (no liquor involved). Moose just ran out on road. Dangerous.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

Seeing him was not an issue lol
He was huge! I wish I could have got a picture, but i am not "that guy"
Hitting him really wasnt an issue. Him hitting me was the problem lol
Old 08-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
took my students to a drinking and driving presentation once.
it all makes sense!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 PM

i ride my sport bike into work everyday down some rural roads and down the highway and honestly i'm more worried about a animal running out in front of me then the people on the road hitting me. I have 10000kms on the bike so far and started riding it late April so I am on it a lot. closest call so far was a coyote 20yds off my front tire running across the highway. Good to hear it ended well, sure wakes you up when something like that happens though.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
it all makes sense!
He was talking about what it is like to live with the effects of a terrible collision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
He was talking about what it is like to live with the effects of a terrible collision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That you're a teacher/instructor! Not the collision part!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Moose and motrcycles

Glad it didn’t end up in a wreck. They are scary to hit with any kind of vehicle. Several years ago, a man and his wife were both killed when they t boned a moose with their motorcycle near Fox Creek.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 08-22-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 PM

Had one buddy hit a bear by manning at night. Wasn’t pretty. Another buddy had a grouse fly out of the ditch while driving about 70 mile an hour... hit him square in the chest and just about blew him off the bike!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:06 PM

There is a story in the Herald right now about two Calgarians that struck a moose in Ontario and were killed.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 PM

Scary stuff! Glad it all worked out okay.

Had a moose collision, and then had the replacement vehicle charged by a bull within a 12 hour period a while back. Sure makes you respect those (tasty) critters.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Moose vs Motorcycle

Since you are in Edmonton, perhaps contact Vince "the moose-killer" of the Black Gold Beemers Motorcycle group. He went thru a moose on the road up to Hyder, Alaska some years ago. He and the Suzuki were repairable, unfortunately the moose was not. Went thru the abdomen, very messy.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Calgary View Post
Since you are in Edmonton, perhaps contact Vince "the moose-killer" of the Black Gold Beemers Motorcycle group. He went thru a moose on the road up to Hyder, Alaska some years ago. He and the Suzuki were repairable, unfortunately the moose was not. Went thru the abdomen, very messy.
That would be a cool story in the playbook
"son when I was younger, I took a Moose with my bare hands??? lol
or helmet covered head...
Old 08-22-2018, 08:29 PM

Cut one if half on my zx6 decades ago. That was fun!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

won't ride at night anymore because of stories like this...…..few years ago I was headed home late in the afternoon near Shelby, mt. going WAY too fast on my v strom when an owl flew out of the weeds beside the road. I didn't even have time to pucker; one second I had a windshield, then I didn't. big wad of owl of feathers stuck in the visor of my helmet when I stopped. i'm convinced that if he hadn't hit the windshield first, it would have broken my neck.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
So last night around 8pm I jusmped on my motorcycle to head to the gym.
I live in Edmonton but workout in Sherwood Park. Some of you might be familiar with the Whitemud where it ends and turns in 628 south of Sherwood Park.
I take the back way into the Park quite often.
Anyways, last night just as I crossed over the henday I could see a huge Moose just strolling down the highway. As I pulled up and slowed down to almost a stop, he turned and stared at me. After a few moments he headed into the ditch. It was my chance to sneak passed him.
As I started to move he changed directions and started running beside me in the ditch. I thought for sure he was going to come back at me lol. I gunned it to get away. Ill tell ya what, I have never saw an animal move that fast. There was no way he would catch me, but Ill tell ya, I was poopin my pants, until I was well passed hi
That sounds like an awesome thrill... moments like that are priceless.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 AM

Years ago my dad pulled into a gas station to fill up in Northern Ontario. As he was completing his fill a small MG sportscar with two guys left the station. When my Dad got on the road a few minutes later and travelled a few miles he came upon a grizzly sight. The sportscar had rounded a curve at high speed, a moose apparently was on the road and their car went right under it but unfortunately their heads didnt. Heads on road, moose basically gutted on far shoulder and sporstcar several hundred yards up road in ditch. They can be nasty.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM

A lot of years ago I hit a duck with my knee, not a big deal for me but probably ruined his day.

Some years ago a friend had just passed a car and then center punched a deer. He was ok but the poor woman in the car didn't know who's blood and guts were on her windshield.

Moose terrify me at night, they are big, black, and their lights and reflectors usually don't work.