Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 02:56 PM

Default COVID Outbreak at Oilsands Site

Outbreak at Albian Sands

http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/new...ls-albian-site
Old 08-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Its the second time also
Old 08-15-2020, 05:00 PM

Heck that’s nothing wait to school is back in season!! That’s exactly why school won’t work unless the government lifts the restrictions.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:17 PM

Considering that workers are coming from all corners of the country to work in the Oilsands I’m amazed there hasn’t been more outbreaks.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Its the second time also
That is incorrect. This is the first "outbreak" at Albian.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Considering that workers are coming from all corners of the country to work in the Oilsands I’m amazed there hasn’t been more outbreaks.
That and the prison camps workers are packed into
Old 08-15-2020, 06:32 PM

Yet Adriana LaGrange and the UCP expect kids to be conscientious.

Pack of buffoons.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:48 PM

My nephew is under quarantine up there now. Guy came on the plane and lied about symptoms . Nephew sitting row close to the guy so he is waiting for test results. Others on plane complained about guy as they could tell he had symptoms. Had nobody said anything this guy would have exposed more people to the virus.

If you have symptoms stay home . One person can screw many family's over. No need to put others at risk. Hope this guy gets fired from his job.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 PM

Default well

If masks are so effective ,why don't they issue them to prisoners instead of releasing them?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
If masks are so effective ,why don't they issue them to prisoners instead of releasing them?
Laughing!

-Billy Molls
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
My nephew is under quarantine up there now. Guy came on the plane and lied about symptoms . Nephew sitting row close to the guy so he is waiting for test results. Others on plane complained about guy as they could tell he had symptoms. Had nobody said anything this guy would have exposed more people to the virus.

If you have symptoms stay home . One person can screw many family's over. No need to put others at risk. Hope this guy gets fired from his job.
Wow, what an absolute dick head.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
That and the prison camps workers are packed into
I haven’t worked in one of those “prison camps” you speak of but some are definitely better than others.

I’ve been in camp now for 3-1/2 years. The rooms are decent size, queen bed, tv, ac and every room has a bathroom with sink and shower. Good food although it is a bit repetitive. Great gymnasium and weight room with a separate one for just the women so they don’t have to worry about being stared at the whole time they are in there...not that that would happen...🤓. Outside there is a fenced walking path that circles the whole place so you can get out in the fresh air and walk or run.

It’s not home but I’d bet some people live in a lot worse place.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post

It would be interesting to know if the guy was a contractor or Albian employee.

I can see a contractor possibly showing up thinking it’s just a cold because not all of them get paid sick days and for some it’s been a really tough year. No excuse but I can see it happening.

Why an Albian employee would risk the possibility of it being COVID-19 when they get all the paid time off they need is beyond me.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Why an Albian employee would risk the possibility of it being COVID-19 when they get all the paid time off they need is beyond me.
Could be “it’s a hoax and COVID doesn’t exist”, “it’s just flu and the guberment is lying”, “people should just go on as they were”, “I am not in the risk group, so I will just walk it off, even if it’s COVID”, “probably it’s just a cold because chances of catching COVID are minimal”, or something else equally ignorant.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I haven’t worked in one of those “prison camps” you speak of but some are definitely better than others.

I’ve been in camp now for 3-1/2 years. The rooms are decent size, queen bed, tv, ac and every room has a bathroom with sink and shower. Good food although it is a bit repetitive. Great gymnasium and weight room with a separate one for just the women so they don’t have to worry about being stared at the whole time they are in there...not that that would happen...🤓. Outside there is a fenced walking path that circles the whole place so you can get out in the fresh air and walk or run.

It’s not home but I’d bet some people live in a lot worse place.
Sounds like you got bigger rooms then I did in my short stint lol. Mostly I call them prison camps because of the number of people, guards, and scan in/security measures. Every camp I have been in for work I referred to as my part time prison not just the ones in the patch

Food is as you called but we had crap lunch options compared to many Other places. Oil sands camps definitely provide more options for comfort then many other camps. I have spent time in some nasty logging camps that would send many running home lol

I am surprised with the number of people in oil sands camps there has not been more outbreaks though. But I bet they have bumped up cleaning and rules to help prevent it
Old 08-16-2020, 07:49 AM

If 5 people amongst a company where thousands are employed is considered an outbreak, we are doomed. Life will never get back to normal...

Just read my son’s great 8 30 page school reentry package. There is now no such thing as the common cold or flu. The symptoms that used to be a common cold are now treated as Covid and he must stay home for 10 days or till the symptoms subside. There are teachers that have these symptoms on the daily during what we used to deem “flu or cold season”. So now you will have teachers and students lieing about how they are feeling. There aren’t enough substitute teachers in the system to accommodate this fiasco....

The younger kids who can’t stay home alone while Mom and Dad have to work is going to be a real interesting scenario this year. Buckle up.....

Last edited by 1899b; 08-16-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know if the guy was a contractor or Albian employee.

I can see a contractor possibly showing up thinking it’s just a cold because not all of them get paid sick days and for some it’s been a really tough year. No excuse but I can see it happening.

Contractor is my understanding. Should lose it at this point.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
If 5 people amongst a company where thousands are employed is considered an outbreak, we are doomed. Life will never get back to normal...

Just read my son’s great 8 30 page school reentry package. There is now no such thing as the common cold or flu. The symptoms that used to be a common cold are now treated as Covid and he must stay home for 10 days or till the symptoms subside. There are teachers that have these symptoms on the daily during what we used to deem “flu or cold season”. So now you will have teachers and students lieing about how they are feeling. There aren’t enough substitute teachers in the system to accommodate this fiasco....

The younger kids who can’t stay home alone while Mom and Dad have to work is going to be a real interesting scenario this year. Buckle up.....
I agree lots of overreacting

As for schools I really feel bad for all the kids who are dealing with this and how it is impacting their education. This has definitely impacted the quality of education kids are and will receive. It is not settling kids up to succeed in the adult world

After reading the school plan and seeing it consistently change I doubt kids will see a full school year. We will likely see another closer and kids getting a half A education

This is not a shot at teachers either
Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I agree lots of overreacting

As for schools I really feel bad for all the kids who are dealing with this and how it is impacting their education. This has definitely impacted the quality of education kids are and will receive. It is not settling kids up to succeed in the adult world

After reading the school plan and seeing it consistently change I doubt kids will see a full school year. We will likely see another closer and kids getting a half A education

This is not a shot at teachers either
I agree. Teachers are being dictated to by our Governments guidelines. Teaching is hard enough.

Sorry for the derail. I started a new thread about this...
Old 08-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Outbreak sounds scary though. Wouldn't make the news otherwise.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Outbreak sounds scary though. Wouldn't make the news otherwise.
X2. Nail on the head right here.....
Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 AM

You know it’s deadly when they have to test you to see if you are actually sick.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 10:53 AM

I saw a news report yesterday of another outbreak at a Cargill facility, but not the High River one, this more recent one is located close to Country Hills Blvd just east of Deerfoot. That makes two buildings I’ve worked in that have had outbreaks to make the news, the other being the Extendicare home down the hill and across the street from the Jubillee auditorium. It’s been years since I’ve been to either, but I took care of that Extendicare for somewhere around a decade with one employer.