Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
Yes. I'm convinced that her job in radio gave her better insights into the minds of Albertans than any of the other candidates. She took her lumps and learned. Her plan to face Ottawa on Albertas' behalf is reminiscent of Lougheed or Klein. Time to rock the boat a little.
I agree with this, Redhorse. I wasn’t in the room when the shady stuff went down when she crossed the floor. She obviously got played really good by an old pro in Prentice, but I guess I still think people can learn from their mistakes.

I do think her stint in radio has given her a unique insight into the minds of Albertans that frankly her competitors did not have. Just my two cents.

I think it’s time to rock the boat, cuz rowing in the boat hoping Trudeau would play nice has proven to be a fool’s errand.

I wish her luck.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Danielle really screwed up last time the NDP won the election. Never trusted a last second turn coat not disclosing her political points of view early in the game.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:25 AM

Getting elected is half the battle. Now she gets some baptism by fire before the next provincial election has to be called in 2023. Interesting to see how people feel about the new premier after that period of time.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Danielle Smith has become Alberta's premier with 53.77% of the Vote.
Sooo.

We are high fiving because Danielle won the leadership race with 53.8%… and everyone said Kenny failed getting 51.4%?

Seems like accolades are a bit premature. With the new Premier takes down a road of prosperity and minimal political infighting and controversies… or will chaos in the conservative ranks crater the party once again and give the NDP a fighting chance to increase spending and the size of government?

She doesn’t have a seat… she needs to call an election to have a mandate to lead. If she starts up doing bizarre stuff or turncoats on the conservatives again… in Alberta she needs to call the election between March 1 and May 31, 2023.

Time will tell if she can work well with others, lead with intelligence and not screw up.

Media will be hyper sensitive on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
So….
Kenny out with51% approval….

Bring in someone with 53% approval….

….. and now an unelected person is bringing in the ‘sovereignty act’

….
Read you post after my thoughts got typed. We see this exactly the same way.

Will she adopt a common sense read the great room type leadership or more of the crap like people are at fault because they have stage 4 cancer crap and naturopathy protects from cancer crap… without caring that “profession” doesn’t list cancer as something they deal with.

She is a wing nut in some respects… if that defines her leadership… PC is doomed once again and will be destroyed in media and minds of the average voter.

If she leverages the wing nut vote to do a little made in Alberta… Quebec style demands for attention, power and money… maybe it’s worth it a bit.

Sadly what we lack her is votes. Liberals care less about losing our votes… as they didn’t have them before.

Power still resides electorally in Ontario and Quebec.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-07-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster243 View Post
I think we're starting to see the rise of freedom fighting conservatism around the world. Italy for example just elected a women who is for God, Country and family. The mainstream media called her the next Mussolini. You don't have to be religious to see the destruction that's happening to democratic institutions and I think many were seeing that creep into Alberta politics on the social side of things.
Fingers crossed. What we are seeing in society today is madness.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Who will be our next Provincial leader ?

My bet is Danielle will be the winner.9

You guess was correct!
Let the games begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-07-2022, 08:38 AM

One of the things that resonate with a lot of us is that she is a libertarian - less government meddling and more personal accountability.

As for the Sovereignty Act, I'm sure it'll look a bit different after the whole party has a chance to weigh in on it. It's not like it's automatically going to fly in its current state just because she's at the helm.

She wasn't my first choice either, but let's see what she can do. She's in a good position to get some positive momentum going for the Party, as well as the Province - especially since her hands are clean of any participation in the nonsense and dithering that went on over the past two years.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I think the average voter actually has a lot more sympathy for the views she is expressing than you think man... At least from all the people I talk to from all walks of life, but I still think she is a mistake. I hope I am wrong though.
My opinion/experience of what I am hearing from people matches your post. I just don’t trust Smith and think she is blowing smoke for votes

I think a lot of people have reached a breaking point with how Canada has been managed and have either changed views or are actively voting/planning to when they did not in the past

It really seems like people want major change
Old 10-07-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
One of the things that resonate with a lot of us is that she is a libertarian - less government meddling and more personal accountability.

As for the Sovereignty Act, I'm sure it'll look a bit different after the whole party has a chance to weigh in on it. It's not like it's automatically going to fly in its current state just because she's at the helm.

She wasn't my first choice either, but let's see what she can do. She's in a good position to get some positive momentum going for the Party, as well as the Province - especially since her hands are clean of any participation in the nonsense and dithering that went on over the past two years.
Fingers crossed. NDP are salivating at all the fodder she provides on her lack of understanding on health care.

Health care is quickly becoming a key concern of voters… along with inflation and housing costs.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-07-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I’m with Wayne on this one.

She blew a populist outdated dog whistle.
People barked

I don’t think the av prov voter reflects this
Red Alert Red Alert a leader is listening to the people rather the elites !!!

Must be using a "dog whistle" to manipulate the dumb masses !!

One thing- Alberta leadership just got much smarter and better spoken than it has been in a long time, which I hope will reflect well on us.

I am optimistic, I do think Danielle can attract a new voter to the conservative side. The key to winning is to increase voter turn out and Danielle got it done this summer.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:59 AM

For those comparing Danielles win to Jasons defeat.

The numbers are not comparable because Danielle ran against 6 others (a couple very strong contenders)

Jason got 51% running against no one but himself.

In the leadership race we were fortunate to have 2 strong candidates both much better than Kenney.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
So….
Kenny out with51% approval….

Bring in someone with 53% approval….

….. and now an unelected person is bringing in the ‘sovereignty act’

….
So in essence both Danielle, and Rachel won last night......
Old 10-07-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Fingers crossed. NDP are salivating at all the fodder she provides on her lack of understanding on health care.

Health care is quickly becoming a key concern of voters… along with inflation and housing costs.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. With Thanksgiving family gatherings next week, the ER's and ICU's will be filling up the week after, just in time to start cancelling patients planned procedures due to bed shortages. It will be interesting to see how she handles that.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that one. With Thanksgiving family gatherings next week, the ER's and ICU's will be filling up the week after, just in time to start cancelling patients planned procedures due to bed shortages. It will be interesting to see how she handles that.
Put the fear stick down this is not the Covid thread lol

The shortages in the medical system are across the country and have more to do with the system as a whole not provincial policy

Yes healthcare is a hot topic and yes Kenny/UCP made some poor choices but this is not really an Alberta only issue
Old 10-07-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Put the fear stick down this is not the Covid thread lol

The shortages in the medical system are across the country and have more to do with the system as a whole not provincial policy

Yes healthcare is a hot topic and yes Kenny/UCP made some poor choices but this is not really an Alberta only issue
I agree with you, but Danielle will soon realize that it's much easier to complain from the sideline than it is to sit in the big chair and get roasted by a population that isn't getting what they believe they deserve. She's made a lot of promises that are going to be very hard to follow through on.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
She's made a lot of promises that are going to be very hard to follow through on.
Yep, she's cooked her goose already. Disappointed she got the leadership after her actions crossing the floor. Peoples memories are short, her credibility will start tanking again post haste. Division among the conservatives hasn't gone anywhere and will remain a problem. She will turn out to be another bumbling opportunist snake...... she's proved that previously.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
The numbers are not comparable because Danielle ran against 6 others (a couple very strong contenders)

Jason got 51% running against no one but himself.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I am optimistic, I do think Danielle can attract a new voter to the conservative side. The key to winning is to increase voter turn out and Danielle got it done this summer.
I think so too. Her challenge now is to woo the separatist/independence vote to the UCP to avoid another vote split, such as the one that accidentally launched Notley and her woke band of wannabe communists to power.

Kind of the same challenge that Pierre P. will have with PPC voters. It's a delicate dance, since he'll need to somehow convince other voters to stop voting NDP/Liberal too.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yep, she's cooked her goose already. Disappointed she got the leadership after her actions crossing the floor. Peoples memories are short, her credibility will start tanking again post haste. Division among the conservatives hasn't gone anywhere and will remain a problem. She will turn out to be another bumbling opportunist snake...... she's proved that previously.
I fear that you are correct, she made promises that she can't possibly fulfill, because the federal government will not allow her to, and many voters realize that. Combine that with her past, and although the party chose her, I doubt that she will see as much support from the voters in Alberta.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
So which of the candidates (that the majority didn’t select) wouldn’t face this division within the conservatives?

I couldn’t vote for her because of her past either, but she has as good a chance as anyone else within the Conservative party. By votes alone in the first ballot she had much more support than any other candidate.

If we want to get rid of division within the Conservative party we need to divide it into probably 4 different parties so we can all have the leader and direction we each desire.

There hasn’t been an acceptable premier in this province since Ralph left us. I wonder how Ralph would fare in today’s Conservative party?
Old 10-07-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Excellent point.

I think so too. Her challenge now is to woo the separatist/independence vote to the UCP to avoid another vote split, such as the one that accidentally launched Notley and her woke band of wannabe communists to power.

Kind of the same challenge that Pierre P. will have with PPC voters. It's a delicate dance, since he'll need to somehow convince other voters to stop voting NDP/Liberal too.
The media all told us how much Canada didn’t want pollievre, just like smith. They all are ignoring the polls now that show pollievre ahead of Trudeau, yet no Canadians outside Alberta wanted him. Isn’t that strange.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I fear that you are correct, she made promises that she can't possibly fulfill, because the federal government will not allow her to, and many voters realize that. Combine that with her past, and although the party chose her, I doubt that she will see as much support from the voters in Alberta.
Did she promise things? Honest question here. Or did she say we need to try things? Because promising a result and attempting something are two very different things.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Alberta UCP election coming up.

Quote:
I agree with you, but Danielle will soon realize that it's much easier to complain from the sideline than it is to sit in the big chair and get roasted by a population that isn't getting what they believe they deserve. She's made a lot of promises that are going to be very hard to follow through on.

They all do that!
Then once elected go about their own agenda.

Clean up in house bickering, get alberta or most of it on her side then once voted in go about the business of being a politician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-07-2022, 10:32 AM

shows how little Alberta is considered on the Canadian stage Hardly any mention of the election on news sources i checked out
Old 10-07-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Did she promise things? Honest question here. Or did she say we need to try things? Because promising a result and attempting something are two very different things.
Her Sovereignty Act proposes ignoring some federal legislation and court rulings, which Ottawa will never allow.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
She doesn't need to fulfill them, she only has to try. Kenny never put in the effort and quite Franky didn't have the spine to fight Ottawa. "Albertans are proud Canadians and will always help Canadians no matter what, please do this for us". Smith won't do that crap. She will very much make this an "US VS Them" situation which I very much support.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Her Sovereignty Act proposes ignoring some federal legislation and court rulings, which Ottawa will never allow.
Did she promise she's ram that through though our was it an idea she floated out that she'd like to implement?
Old 10-07-2022, 10:56 AM

She’s floating the sovereignty act stuff as a way of getting Ottawa, to wake up and take notice, and hopefully come to heal, just like Quebec’s distinct society declaration……

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Hah! Never say never! If Pierre becomes the PM- and I sincerely hope so!- he just might be the guy who is going to stand up for Alberta….and go along with DS plans….
Old 10-07-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hah! Never say never! If Pierre becomes the PM- and I sincerely hope so!- he just might be the guy who is going to stand up for Alberta….and go along with DS plans….
He would change some laws, but no Prime Minister is going to support letting Alberta simply ignore federal legislation, and federal court decisions, just because they don't agree with them.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
He would change some laws, but no Prime Minister is going to support letting Alberta simply ignore federal legislation, and federal court decisions, just because they don't agree with them.
Changing the election law would be a good start to give western provinces more votes…. I have big hopes for PP!
Closed Thread