Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
What a ride for Smith! I will give her credit. Came back from being down and out years ago and blabbering on some radio show. To now being the Premier. What a cool story.......

Actually just kidding. IMO she is a joke and it is pretty embarrassing that someone as tone deaf and cooky as her can slide into that position. The funniest part was her smile at the convention yesterday when she literally just over half the vote after what ...... 6 ballots! After a "win" like that I would probably be a little more humble. As far as I'm concerned she has no mandate to do anything. She should just come to work. Sit in the chair and pretend to be important. Make some appearances, heck go represent Alberta at some convention. Basically try not to screw anything up for 7 months until the real Premier gets elected.

The fact that more people are not concerned about her talking about her sovereignty act like it is something that Albertans asked for is troubling. I did not see that in any UPC platform. Heck half the crap they are peddling like provincial police force and starting our own pension fund was not mentioned on their platform when being elected last go around.

I spent a lot of time listening to her “blabbering” on her radio show. I came to like and admire her, given a chance I think she’ll do a good job for the province.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:17 AM

Well I will disagree with you all about a mandate. Danielle smith most certainly was given a mandate.

Jason Kenny left the UCP. He wasn’t pushed out. He won his leadership review and decided to quit. He left the UCP rudderless. Nobody else.

The UCP, who happens to be the governing party of Alberta right now, held an election. UCP members held an election and voted in Danielle Smith.

Danielle was told to govern the UCP and Alberta. That is a mandate. Pure and simple. There is no other way about it.

In the next general election anyone who disagrees with her is allowed to vote for notley. That’s your right.

Anyone complaining about the number of votes she received is laughable. Just remember she garnered more than anyone else. On the first ballot she received more votes than all her competitors combined, excluding Toews. Even with 5 (was it 6?) ballots Toews still couldn’t match her support. She is the clear winner.

I didn’t vote for her but the majority of UCP members did. If you don’t like it, make a donation to the NDP. They need your votes.

As for all of you that are complaining that we will never be treated like Quebec; with your attitudes, you are right. We may not have the seats, but we have the money. The true political power. Anyone not willing to separate does a disservice to this province and likely western Canada. We have the money people. Money is power. Stop acting like repressed peasants and stand up for the hard working wealth/power that we have. Stop being fooled by eastern idiots.

Comparing separation to taking your ball and going home is the exact argument Danielle smiths critics are using.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:58 AM

She doesn’t hold a seat….

She didn’t run in the last election.

Can’t say she’s been ‘chosen by the people.
She’s been chosen by a party….. they are not alberta voters.

Saying she’s our ‘duly elected representative’ does not work for me

Too many steps removed from the electoral process and the general electorate for me to say she should have the power of introducing/creating big legislation pieces.

Win the next election

Be legit.

Simple concept
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Too many steps removed from the electoral process and the general electorate for me to say she should have the power of introducing/creating big legislation pieces.

Win the next election

Be legit.

Simple concept
Couldn't agree more. Just because a person is elected by a small group of card holding members doesn't mean that person has been elected by the population she serves.

Folks outside of the UCP membership are weary. Her political track record is rough and she's opened her mouth plenty too many times without enough knowledge to back what she's saying.

Classic case of not knowing what you don't know.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Win the next election

Be legit.

Simple concept
X2

Some people miss the perspective

Quote:
Chief Returning Officer for the UCP Leadership Election Committee Rick Orman says that 84,593 ballots were cast by UCP members.
Smith got 53.77% of the votes or 42,423.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_U...rship_election

In 2021 there were 2,822,403 eligible voter.

https://www.elections.ab.ca/resource...lector-counts/

Her win is currently meaningless. The UPC won the last election with Kenny as the leader. She needs to win a seat and then prove she is leadership material to 2.8 million voters. 42,423 is meaningless. A large portion of eligible UPC voters didn’t even show up to vote.

The grass roots rural group helped vote her in… interestingly enough… forgot she turncoated on the Wildrose big time.

Should be interesting to see how fractured UPC caucus is now. She won the passionate fringe in the party.

Now she needs to moderate… turn on that group in order to govern her party and the province. Anyone not towing her style… will be ousted or she will see the party collapse before the next election.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-08-2022, 10:34 AM

Did you three buy a membership and vote?
Old 10-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Yes

So… how’s that relate to the point I was making?

I know a few people who were campaign organizers
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2022, 11:13 AM

This is Brian's latest post to members: The voters have spoken. We have a new leader. "It is incumbent on every conservative activist, campaigner, and supporter to come together and refocus our efforts on defeating the NDP next spring." That is what I told Premier Smith last night during a one-on-one phone call.

I have committed to doing whatever I can to help the party unify and put forward its best efforts on behalf of Albertans.

I have to thank all of the party's volunteers. I cannot express how humbled I am by all of the volunteers and donors who helped my campaign.

I AM PROFOUNDLY GRATEFUL TO EVERY UCP MEMBER WHO PUT MY NAME SOMEWHERE ON THEIR BALLOT! I won't let you down.

We pushed our ideas. We did not win, but our ideas will have an impact. As will those of other candidates. I am proud to be a part of a party that has so many great ideas.

We fought hard, right to the last minute. We left nothing behind.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:21 AM

We have all heard the expression that conservatives eat their own. The more I frequent this forum the more this seems to be true. If all the members of this forum had acquired a ballot and voted then possibly another candidate may have won. I know if I was Notley and I read the divisiveness presented here I would be laughing myself to sleep every night.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:31 AM

At the start of this race, I was hoping Brian Jean was going to win.
BUT.....many times when I seen an official FB post of his, I really started to wonder if he really understood the issues and what Alberta needs.

Some of his statements gave me grave concerns.....like tightening up trespass laws and greatly increasing penalties and prosecution for crown land grazing leases to effectively give complete access control to leaseholder....effectively reaffirming the equivalent of ownership....without consideration for the current abuse of the system that is happening right now. Nowhere in his statement did he mention affirming that rec users also have a right to fairly access that land, that ownership STILL resides with the province and crown.

His comments on healthcare....oh-boy were they uninformed....made me think he had R.Notley’s notes on how to buy union votes.

Got to the point that I started to hope for a D Smith win....to avoid some of B. Jean’s concepts in direction for the province. Started to show just how weak his understanding of complex issues were...and how simple (as in stupid) his replies were.

I believe he talked his way out of the leadership.....but that’s a good thing.....it exposed why he has lost to J.Kenny and now D. Smith.

My biggest issue with D.Smith was her floor crossing to that liberal Prentice. But I can see what she believed was truth....that Prentice and the Wildrose were going to split the vote and ensure an NDP win.

She listened to the MSM too much.... they were constantly pumping that concept. I do believe that D.Smith and the Wildrose would have gotten a minority govt and with a bunch of PC members in the house had the balance of power.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 10-08-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Couldn't agree more. Just because a person is elected by a small group of card holding members doesn't mean that person has been elected by the population she serves.

Folks outside of the UCP membership are weary. Her political track record is rough and she's opened her mouth plenty too many times without enough knowledge to back what she's saying.

Classic case of not knowing what you don't know.
Anyone could have voted, anyone at all.

One of the few chances one has to vote directly for the primer. Not anyones fault except their own if they didn't vote.

Sounds like a case of you either didn't vote or are annoyed that your "guy" didn't win.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Win the next election

Be legit.

Simple concept
I do agree with you about the seat thing. I brought that up on page 5 I think. How can you be premier without being an MLA? I agree with you, but that’s not how it’s set up apparently. Not her fault.

Question. Who is the premier of Alberta right now? That’s a mandate pure and simple. If you want to refuse a legitimate vote based on who didn’t vote; then there has never been a legitimate government in Canada if one eligible voter didn’t vote. Anyone could’ve signed up and voted for their chosen leader. Even Rachel notley could’ve chosen our current premier.

If Kenny had had a heart attack and perished after winning, would you still say that the elected leader after that wasn’t a legitimate leader?

The UCP was elected, Kenny stepped down and the UCP chose their new leader. It’s real simple.

As I said, anyone who rejects her as premier can back notley next spring.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Anyone could have voted, anyone at all.

One of the few chances one has to vote directly for the primer. Not anyones fault except their own if they didn't vote.

Sounds like a case of you either didn't vote or are annoyed that your "guy" didn't win.

Not anyone could vote. Only registered UCP members could vote. Sounds like you think a provincial election just happened!

I'm not one for politics so I can't say I have "a guy".
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Not anyone could vote. Only registered UCP members could vote. Sounds like you think a provincial election just happened!

Sounds like you don't know who can be a registered UCP member.

Your posting in here suggests the opposite. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:

anyone could have gotten a UCP membership, lots did! anyone! anyone with a membership could have voted. same as anyone can get a liberal or a NDP membership, and swayed those parties outlook on Alberta! most choose not to though! i'm open minded enough to wait and see what she does over the next few months.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sounds like you don't know who can be a registered UCP member.

Your posting in here suggests the opposite. Actions speak louder than words.
Great quote.

I'm not saying anyone can't sign up to be a member of the UCP. I'm saying a big chunk of the province isn't interested in funding a party that caters to the far right.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Great quote.

I'm not saying anyone can't sign up to be a member of the UCP. I'm saying a big chunk of the province isn't interested in funding a party that caters to the far right.
I guess that's why Smith won't take a chance running in the vacant Calgary Elbow riding. That area has a strong history of being conservative, but that's not the same as being "far right". That's a whole different animal, and I guess she understands that.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Great quote.

Can you name 1 thing they have done that can be legitimately classified as "Far Right" ?
Old 10-08-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Great quote.

Let me guess, you voted NDP in the last election.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Great quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I guess that's why Smith won't take a chance running in the vacant Calgary Elbow riding. That area has a strong history of being conservative, but that's not the same as being "far right". That's a whole different animal, and I guess she understands that.
Sounds like an argument from the "far left"
Old 10-08-2022, 03:37 PM

I consider myself far right
Thats why I am seriously considering voting for the Independence Party
Don't want to split up the right and get Notley in
Is the only thing holding me back so far.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Great quote.

And your real issue comes out front and center you don’t share the political views she represents

Honestly there is no issue with that and if a politician doesn’t represent a platform that supports your lifestyle or views you shouldn’t support or vote for them

No need to beat around the bush about it
Old 10-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Did you three buy a membership and vote?
I did, to get rid of Kenney, hoping we would get some legitimate candidates to turn the party fortunes around. To say I'm disappointed would be an under statement.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-08-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I did, to get rid of Kenney, hoping we would get some legitimate candidates to turn the party fortunes around. To say I'm disappointed would be an under statement.

Grizz
The old saying “ the grass isn’t always greener “ come to mind. Good effort though.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
I consider myself far right
Thats why I am seriously considering voting for the Independence Party
Don't want to split up the right and get Notley in
Is the only thing holding me back so far.
Don’t let a silly thing like splitting the vote hold you back. It’s what conservatives do best… shoot themselves in the foot.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:11 PM

I'm legitimately wondering how someone can be premier with actually holding an elected seat in the legislature...
Old 10-08-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I'm legitimately wondering how someone can be premier with actually holding an elected seat in the legislature...
The same way Don Getty did.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
anyone could have gotten a UCP membership, lots did! anyone! anyone with a membership could have voted. same as anyone can get a liberal or a NDP membership, and swayed those parties outlook on Alberta! most choose not to though! i'm open minded enough to wait and see what she does over the next few months.
Let’s be frank and factual.

78,903 of 2,822,403 Albertans eligible to vote in 2021 actually voted in this private election process. You had to pay to vote and even worse get on another robocall phone list and get repeated unwanted called.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_U...rship_election

I’m with you however… I will wait and see what she does. As head of the Wildrose… the last thing she did was disastrous for the party.

My fingers are crossed hard she learned to moderate her crazy brain impulses and also learn to know how much she doesn’t have a clue about and to stop pretending she does.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Divide-and-conquer, an ageless strategy.

Which begs the question, what is far right.

Of course the implication is anyone that holds extreme views, but what does that mean?

The honest answer is extreme is what the speaker makes it, could be a neo-Nazi/White Supremacist ideology, or someone who likes using hunting rifles or simply someone who doesn't vote for a Liberal.

It is anything the speaker wants us to believe, to discredit and or turn people against an opponent. It's back ally politics.

So what is far right supposed to mean?

It's supposed to mean just the neo-Nazi/White Supremacist and such kind of thinking which is according to the people who study such groups, is a small fraction of the population. About 10 percent.

Not even close to enough to sway the vote in any party. So why then are they mentioned so often.
Again, the answer is, to lead people to believe that one or two or ten in a party means the whole party supports that ideology, Which is not true

In fact, my few encounters with such ideology leads me to believe that the few who may join a political party are not likely to let that party know what their true values are.

And when their views become know they are tossed out immediately.

That being the case, and we all know it is, why the labeling?

The answer is, divide and conquer. Back ally tactics.

They say politics is dirty business. I say so is rape and murder.

An honest man fights fair.

Until people figure that one out we will always get the best crook, not the best leader.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-08-2022, 06:49 PM

First we had TDS

Trump Derangement Syndrome

Now we have SDS

Smith Derangement Syndrome

It seems to make normal people crazy, lol.