Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2022, 09:02 AM

Default Renewable company caught using whole logs to make pellets for burning

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63089348

I was shocked to see that a company, claiming to be an environmentally friendly renewable energy company was burning old growth logs.

How is BC… an eco fanatics paradise condoning such use of old growth forests?

I now wonder how many more shams are duping investors and governments.

They chop down whole trees…drive hundreds of kilometres… use a shines to grind them up… make them into sawdust pellets… then ship to the UK… then burn them.

They plant tiny seedlings to make it then renewable.

Unfreaking believable.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 AM
Banned

Don’t they do this all over the world?
Burn trees for power and claim it’s green renewable energy?
Biofuel?
Pretty sure it was exposed in that micheal Moore documentary
Old 10-03-2022, 09:17 AM

Yes. They take account of the latest science too. Safe and effective.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-03-2022, 09:32 AM
Banned

Personally I think it’s a scam when your cutting down the greatest method of removing C02 from the atmosphere. Your cutting them down and burning them to release the same C02 all over again? But now there is less trees to filter it out??
Doesn’t make sense
Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Personally I think it’s a scam when your cutting down the greatest method of removing C02 from the atmosphere. Your cutting them down and burning them to release the same C02 all over again? But now there is less trees to filter it out??
Doesn’t make sense
X100,Mark, 25 years out of my 35 years in logging was doing forest prep sites, scarification so they could send in folks to plant trees . I seen this danger coming in 1988 ,when I drive and see large open cut out or even smaller ones I get ticked off if there not planted.

If they don't pic up there feet and start replanting these forest that are being demolished, then we are going backwards real fast.

There behind in replanting like never before.the sooner they pull there finger out of there arrs ,meaning JT and his cronies the sooner we give this planet half a chance . Every schools ,prisons and even the average Joe should have access to a few hundred trees to plant.

Taxing folks is stupid as it gets , just plant 5 tree for everyone cut .Save the earth.

The stumpage fee money is already given to the government to do this,but it goes to other crap.

We all need homes,but we need to live also,so replace and fix what you take out.

My partner is trying contact PP and make this a top priority if he wins.

Cheers
JD
Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Don’t they do this all over the world?
Burn trees for power and claim it’s green renewable energy?
Biofuel?
Pretty sure it was exposed in that micheal Moore documentary
Not usually a Moore fan, but you have to admit he swings right and left. We do live in a time of hypocrisy .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-03-2022, 11:06 AM

Great points, JD848.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:19 AM

There’s gotta be more to it than that it’s just not economically feasible to cut down a massive log and transport it to sell for Pennies instead of hundreds of dollars.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great points, JD848.
Everyday in the 70's and mid 80's I drove by clear cuts and I realized I was part of it, then I decided to risk it all to try and make it right .

Every person has a home with mostly wood products ,so every person should have access to seedlings and replant a few hundred each year. Pay for them if so and make it a tax deduction.

Kids at an early age should all be made to replant in order for them to understand that were all in this mess, there future is at risk .

Burnt out areas should be salvaged as much as possible, stop all cut permits and head to the burnt out areas.

Only so much of a tree is use and 30 percent stays behind in smaller pieces and the top of trees, set up large containers and load that stuff up for chips or whatever it can be used for, but they hire dozers to clean this up in large piles and burn it come winter .

Every little bit helps.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 10-03-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 PM

Trees either burn one way or the other or they rot and release methane. No big deal, the planet handled it for millions of years.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:09 PM

I like the seedling idea, JD848. Maybe it could start with us hunters - get a credit towards tags for planting X amount of seedlings.

Kind of run it like the timber harvest permits, except in reverse - tell them where you want to plant, what kind and when.

Distribution may be an issue, but hey, it's just logistics...
Old 10-03-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I like the seedling idea, JD848. Maybe it could start with us hunters - get a credit towards tags for planting X amount of seedlings.

Kind of run it like the timber harvest permits, except in reverse - tell them where you want to plant, what kind and when.

I believe forestry companies are required to replant the areas they harvest.

Grizz

Old 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:

X2. Money is put into our system that is totally wasted so why not grow seedlings . I pick up garbage I see when out hunting so why not plant a hundred trees . Animals need habitat to live in ,rivers need a solid banks so they don't erode and it doesn't end. I love the bush and everything in it.
JD
Old 10-03-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
What there required to do and what they do is two different things, yes many do replant ,but large areas are still left out from being years behind .

Some companies close down and steal the stumpage money or say they did it and nothing is done . Or the cash goes in trust of certain groups who I will not mention and go figure where that cash goes.

There still replanting but with this housing shortage wood is going very fast out the door , so the reforestation companies who do it aren't big enough .If they were behind before this housing boom, then they won't catch up unless they triple the amount of work to replanting. Fires are eating up timber , so there are less trees to cut, but after a fire if it's possible to groom it so it grows proper trees ,then more work in those area's are needed also.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 10-03-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:39 PM

It’s all about trying to get a green government grant and profit from it. If we knew the fraud that went on it would likely make us sick.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM

Id rather it not all be replanted because it is pretty much always replanted with spruce, or pine in Alberta. Mono culture forests are not of much benefit to wildlife. Leaving it to reforest naturally is better for wildlife as many species of deciduous trees, plants, berries, shrubs, bushes, etc will grow which are necessary for a balanced forest and healthy wildlife. Slow growing natural regeneration will feed a lot of critters much longer than a fast growing single species replant of all the same age class which in many cases are then sprayed with glyphosate to kill everything else but the commercially desired replanted species.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Everything is replanted out here (at least the west country). Blocks are planned decades into the future, and with that they will be harvested again.
Think JD is from another province and things may be done differently.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Id rather it not all be replanted because it is pretty much always replanted with spruce, or pine in Alberta. Mono culture forests are not of much benefit to wildlife. Leaving it to reforest naturally is better for wildlife as many species of deciduous trees, plants, berries, shrubs, bushes, etc will grow which are necessary for a balanced forest and healthy wildlife. Slow growing natural regeneration will feed a lot of critters much longer than a fast growing single species replant of all the same age class which in many cases are then sprayed with glyphosate to kill everything else but the commercially desired replanted species.
Pine are planted. The spruce naturally regenerate, as well as everything else
Old 10-03-2022, 04:19 PM

All I can say is I recommend research beyond this article

Timber that is useable for the lumber market is far more valuable as lumber then it is as wood pellets
Old 10-03-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
It’s all about trying to get a green government grant and profit from it. If we knew the fraud that went on it would likely make us sick.
Sunny ways.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48 PM

Seems unlikely for Drax to be to blame. Drax doesn't log anything from what I know they simply piggyback off existing sawmills all along the Yellowhead. Questionable logging by the existing sawmills maybe. It's never going to be economically feasible to haul logs to make into pellets. Pellets are byproduct of the entire industry.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Everything is replanted out here (at least the west country). Blocks are planned decades into the future, and with that they will be harvested again.
Poplar are never replanted. Probably the most widely used species in Alberta and Saskatchewan
Old 10-03-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I was betting he's from Irving Country, sounds like it's a different world, where companies rule the province.

Grizz

Old 10-03-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Poplar are never replanted. Probably the most widely used species in Alberta and Saskatchewan
They don't need to be, haven't cut my grass in a few weeks , looks like I could be logging in the near future. Buddy had a quarter near Valleyview, Tolko cut , mostly saplings, for chip board.

Grizz

Old 10-03-2022, 05:55 PM

Toured a saw/planner mill just yesterday. Old growth is optimized and left over is blocked and sold to China for finger jointing. Nothing is wasted. Yes, the chips are sold overseas as well, but it’s that or your sawdust pile keeps growing. Some of the larger mills here on the Island have massive chip mounds, but that is older stuff, with newer production going overseas.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They don't need to be, haven't cut my grass in a few weeks , looks like I could be logging in the near future. Buddy had a quarter near Valleyview, Tolko cut , mostly saplings, for chip board.

Grizz
Grizz is correct. They are a weed. I have little seedling spruce popping up all over my yard constantly as well. Tamarack are almost as prolific as poplar.
That is why only pine are planted, everything else takes care of itself
Old 10-03-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Yep well aware, just seems some guys believe you have to replant everything. I worked making "chip board" for Tolko and Norbord for 14 years.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Absolutely bang on. Our replanted forests are plantations with no biodiversity.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:57 AM

Yes this is going on and on a larger scale then you think
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...d-pellets.html
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/u-s-for...y-report-finds
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wood-pe...ource-critics/

This is how Europe is meeting its net zero targets
Old 10-04-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Seems unlikely for Drax to be to blame. Drax doesn't log anything from what I know they simply piggyback off existing sawmills all along the Yellowhead. Questionable logging by the existing sawmills maybe. It's never going to be economically feasible to haul logs to make into pellets. Pellets are byproduct of the entire industry.
Correct mill waste, waste poplar logs, and cut off tops from logging outfits is what theses places run off. Mill waste being the big one

I worked for a logging outfit in BC in the past that provided the waste for this purpose and I can tell you there is no possible way we were going to send lumber grade logs to a pellet plant lol

At least here in Canada this is how it works

I have personally been in theses yards many times and seen the material used