Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Around Williams Lake, they send the chippers/tub grinders into the bush. Not sure if the chips go for pellets or to the co-gen. Way better use of the slash than just torching it. I’ve seen the log yard at Meadowbank, lots of birch/aspen logs and some SPF that would never make trade at a sawmill.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:58 PM

Just go past Whitecourt and look at all the 3 to 4 inch trees cut down and stacked. They have been on the ground for 3 years. They are good for nothing but firewood now. There are miles of these clear cuts and they are all the same. Small logs cut but not taken
Old 10-09-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Just go past Whitecourt and look at all the 3 to 4 inch trees cut down and stacked. They have been on the ground for 3 years. They are good for nothing but firewood now. There are miles of these clear cuts and they are all the same. Small logs cut but not taken
Those are the left over tops off trees that were cut for lumber and the logs were hauled away to the mill. The tops of trees are usually cut off at 3" or 4"diameter, they are too small to make 2x4's or fence posts or anything else. Help yourself if you want them for firewood
Old 10-09-2022, 09:05 PM

These are not the tops. The tops are piles to be burned these are stacked logs that were to be hauled away. There is miles of these logs sitting there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1323B07C-299E-4184-B6E9-1F0FDB66E4E3.jpg (45.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-09-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
It’s all about trying to get a green government grant and profit from it. If we knew the fraud that went on it would likely make us sick.
Wrong ,the money is put in by the logging companies from every tree cut,stumpage fees . that money is suppose to be used to fix what they cut.

I'm not some tree hugging freak or a fraudster ,so get it right .

Cheers
JD
Old 10-09-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I was betting he's from Irving Country, sounds like it's a different world, where companies rule the province.

Grizz
Wrong also , I just sold my house just off Wye road in Edmonton 5 years ago ,spent 15 years working for a company out of Nisku . Telling me I from Irving is like telling me I like Trudeau.No way. That is an insult there grizz man.

Nothern Ontario ,BC, and Alberta is where I did my bush work ,250000 acres of all new forests replanted . Not one cent of grant money or taxpayer cash.

When I fly over my areas it gives me a great feeling I tried to do something instead of just bitching about it.

You have a great fall and take care.
Cheers
JD.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:29 AM

Based on comments in this thread, there is a lot of misinformation and lack of understanding of the legal requirements for reforestation here in Alberta.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:24 AM

Been in Alberta forest for more than 60 years. Many forestry companies with West Fraser by far the worse one of the bunch. They just cut 'Baby Trees" now and throw most of the log on the burn piles. We have NO! Alberta Forestry monitoring them anymore.You could make tons of wood pellets with the enormous burn piles of tops.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post

".... cut down a massive log and transport it to sell for Pennies instead of hundreds of dollars."
Therein lies the problem. The log is in British Columbia, HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD FROM BRITAIN!!!!!

For the Eco Warriors, what is the Carbon Footprint of transporting wood pellets and wood products half way around the world, just so you can lie to yourself that it is "green energy"?

They are doing more damage by thinking they are doing good than anyone realizes.

Drewski
Old 10-10-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
These are not the tops. The tops are piles to be burned these are stacked logs that were to be hauled away. There is miles of these logs sitting there.
How big are the stumps in the clear cut, are they all 3" or 4" diameter? Waste wood is sometimes piled depending on how it is yarded and processed, and what the contractual obligations are. Have seen it stacked that way before. Anyway some of that does look a bit bigger than 3"-4" but the bigger stuff that is wasted usually has defects, rot, was standing dead when cut or various other reasons it is left.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Hard to undo

Some things are hard to undo even if certain facts make initial outcomes impossible...

It's hard to deconstruct the harvesting and processing industry once it's in place

It's hard to remove all the specific equipment to silo, load, transport and offload these pellets or their feedstock

It's hard to change your pellet burning plant to burn anything else once the infrastructure is in place

By far the hardest thing to undo is the greenwashing that started this crap in the first place.

And that's why facts have to be omitted or adjusted, the greenwashing can't be broken.

BTW, I'll bet this scrap wood can be mulched on site and returned to the soil, no transport required.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
How big are the stumps in the clear cut, are they all 3" or 4" diameter? Waste wood is sometimes piled depending on how it is yarded and processed, and what the contractual obligations are. Have seen it stacked that way before. Anyway some of that does look a bit bigger than 3"-4" but the bigger stuff that is wasted usually has defects, rot, was standing dead when cut or various other reasons it is left.
All of this ^^

plus some processors are OCD neat. If the waste wood/tops are being trucked out as biomass they will be piled nice or the button top operator is going to want to slap the guys running processor

The last logging outfit I worked for actually used any log with an 8ft section that is 4inch plus(At times smaller). The owner had his own mill so any thing he could run he did. I logged blocks that we joked were for making toothpicks because the trees were so small