Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Waterfowl Load Patterning

I have been using the 3" Browning #2 waterfowl load, and I was noticing more geese that weren't dead, so I decided to do some load and choke testing. It was very windy, so I used a piece of 3/4" plywood, and shot at 50 yards. I was surprised at the lack of penetration, many pellets were still protruding from the wood. Then I tested the 3" Kent #2 load, and the pellets penetrated much deeper. The Kent load is rated at 110fps more, but that doesn't explain twice the penetration. I used the Kent load, and the Patternmaster choke this morning, and although it was on a very limited number of geese, they all fell dead. The difference in penetration is obvious in the pictures.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM

Interesting I have been using Black cloud 3” number 2’sand B.B. on geese. My wife has been using 20 ga 3” #2’s. I don’t notice that my geese are any more dead than with the 20ga.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:19 PM

I wonder if a chronograph wouldn’t sort this out.
We all know advertised velocities often fail to make the claims manufacturers claim, betchya the Browing fodder is limping along.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I wonder if a chronograph wouldn’t sort this out.
We all know advertised velocities often fail to make the claims manufacturers claim, betchya the Browing fodder is limping along.
Could very well be, I have a hard time believing that 110fps could make this much of a difference. When the birds are landing in the decoys at 20-30 yards, they all die, but when they aren't finishing, and are shot at 40-50 yards, I was seeing more cripples with the Browning load, than I used to, when I used the Kent loads. These results explain why. I am thinking that I will save the rest of the Brownings for duck shoots, and stay with the Kent load for geese.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Default velocity kills

With steel.............. sedate loads cripple.Did you try different chokes usually the larger the steel the more open the choke needs to be.I prefer Heavy Metal.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
With steel.............. sedate loads cripple.Did you try different chokes usually the larger the steel the more open the choke needs to be.I prefer Heavy Metal.
I have tested a few chokes, yesterday, I was testing the Patternmaster Code Black. The patterns were quite decent at 50 yards, about like my LM Briley at 40 yards.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM

I picked up a new shotgun to pattern, see if maybe I can get out and do that early this week.,and post some pics. All I can tell you, is with Kent 3" 1-1/4oz # 3 1450fps loads and a Beretta IC Mobil choke in an A300, it killed 'em good, real good. So did some 3" 1-1/8oz WWxperts in 1550fps # 2's as well.
Although, geese may be wearing armor these days, someone shot one that my dog brought back, I didn't shoot at that bunch, so I know it was not me; dog retrieved it, went to hand it off to me, it flapped, I didn't get a good grip, the bird flapped, got to the ground, stood up, and took off, never to be seen again. Nobody was ready for that one. one guy said he thought it looked headshot. maybe it got coldcocked, saw that on a turkey once as well, never saw it again , either.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have tested a few chokes, yesterday, I was testing the Patternmaster Code Black. The patterns were quite decent at 50 yards, about like my LM Briley at 40 yards.
Have the same pattern master choke, love it