Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Default Couldn't help it.

So this year I'm going to try to keep a running tally of all the coyotes I shoot and keep an updated thread going on predatormasters forum and I will try to update here as well.
I usually take pictures as I go so I will try to keep putting them up as well.
Its a bit early to start but with the cold weather and the coyotes presenting themselves I couldn't help it.
Coyotes 1.2and 3.
Fairly anticlimactic start to the season. Was checking on a calf at they yard this morning when I heard howling to the west. I poked my head out to see a dog mousing around at 350 yards. Figuring this would be a great time to try out my new 6mm creedmoor I got setup but didn't see the coyote anymore. 2 min later he popped over a hill at 65 yards so I stood up to get over the grass and shot em off hand.

The second one I saw walking around the horse pen later on in the day. Figuring I may as well try and get brazen dogs out of the yard I grabbed the 22 as to not spook the horses and walked out there. I just walked up to the pen and shot him at 35 yards as he walked away. Stupid little pup didn't even view me as a threat.
Last one once again was fairly boring. I drove out to check on the dead pit where we put a yearling last night. when I came over the hill coyotes spilled out every which way and I figured I'd try my luck in case one was dumb enough to stick around. Sure enough as soon as I put the bipod down I saw one at 300 and the 22-250 put him down. No picture of that one as I was technically still on the clock and had to get to work

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs

Last edited by tikka250; 10-14-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM

Good going. Nice to see your pics. I shot one yesterday with my WK180C. I called for 20 minutes and didn’t get any response. I walked to the east side the qtr and heard one barking on the neighbors but couldn’t see it. About 5 minutes later he showed up along the fence line 250 yards away. I called again and it disappeared, al of a sudden it popped up in front of me at 22 yards.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:21 PM

CZ 455 american heavy barrel .22 by chance? Nice looking gun either way.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
CZ 455 american heavy barrel .22 by chance? Nice looking gun either way.
452 varmint. even better

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
452 varmint. even better

Lets see you change barrels buster.

Great rimfire maker either way. Love mine now that the triggers and bolts are breaking in.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 AM

I had a weak moment as well and popped a couple the other day to see how the hides were .. one was total mange, a no brainer to shoot that one . The other looked big and fluffy til I got close to him . Skinned him out and tho the fur looked decent its not prime yet , the hide was still quite blue , best wait a couple weeks .