Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 AM

Default Keystone P/L

There have been some "comments" about oil heading upward in the near future. We have had many threads and comments about the Trans Mountain pipeline, but what and where is the Keystone P/L at?

Thanks Dodger.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:20 AM

To my understanding Keystone is proceeding along normally (the old, good normal rather than the new & bad normal).

Strange thing with how that opposition dried up in the USA like a fart in the wind, it’s almost as though the US protesters funding evaporated all of a sudden. It curious how no protesters north of the border have clued in to how they were being played as pawns & traitors by US oil & gas interests to ensure they keep getting Canadian oil heavily discounted by denying us access to other markets. Personally I find the actions of these groups to be treasonous, they’re causing irreparable harm to Canada and our prosperity. The US financiers were doing it to maintain the long standing $20 USD/bbl discount, I’m sure they’re pleased as punch with the current $50 USD/bbl discount.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM

KXL is good for reducing the pipeline bottleneck (and a good portion of the discount), but doesn't get us to tidewater.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
KXL is good for reducing the pipeline bottleneck (and a good portion of the discount), but doesn't get us to tidewater.
Where do you think Keystone XL goes to?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
Where do you think Keystone XL goes to?
Keystone XL is an expansion from Hardisty to Kansas. Sure ain't a lot of ocean along that route. From there it joins the existing line to the Gulf Coast refiners, the same place the majority of our oil already goes to. Little-to-no additional oil will touch tidewater and sell to nations other than the United States.

Why do you think Maya spot pricing is so high despite being a worse quality crude than WCS? Pipelines, proximity to the Gulf Coast, and tidewater access to sell it competitively on the global market. Obviously Alberta can never have the second, but reasons one and three are possible if a project such as TMX ever moves forward. KXL just helps reduce the existing crude glut in Hardisty.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 AM

Good to hear it is still moving along. Even though we have to sell the oil at a discount it allows more to be moving than where we are now.

Now we really need to get our oil to tide water to drive up our discounted price.

Thanks Dodger.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Keystone XL is an expansion from Hardisty to Kansas. Sure ain't a lot of ocean along that route. From there it joins the existing line to the Gulf Coast refiners, the same place the majority of our oil already goes to. Little-to-no additional oil will touch tidewater and sell to nations other than the United States.

Why do you think Maya spot pricing is so high despite being a worse quality crude than WCS? Pipelines, proximity to the Gulf Coast, and tidewater access to sell it competitively on the global market. Obviously Alberta can never have the second, but reasons one and three are possible if a project such as TMX ever moves forward. KXL just helps reduce the existing crude glut in Hardisty.
You are correct (sort of) but the one part you are missing is that the pipe you are referencing from Cushing to the gulf coast is currently filled with 80% US crude that will now be replaced with Canadian Crude. Give or take 700kbbls/day of crude flowing down the Marketlink system that is a good chunk of new Canadian crude that will reach tide water one way or another.

Add on the potential of that pipe being twinned before KXL is complete and you have a win win all around
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM

I'll like Keystone better when we have others going to both coasts, as things stand right now it just increases how much discounted oil they can pump.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

It would be great for everyone involved if they had alternative buyers. The states is ripping us off. I think China would be a huge buyer if we can get it there plus they aren’t happy with Donald Duck and his funny looking little general
Old 10-16-2018, 07:43 PM

It would be real interesting to know how many other countries in the world that have oil/gas resources and 2 coasts don't have a pipeline to water. I would bet zero. Something very wrong here!