Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 12:28 PM

Default Boat sales and prices

Was the boat market still hot this past fall? Thinking of selling my 2013 alumacraft, fully rigged up fishing boat with only 40 hours on the big motor.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:36 PM

I think you’ll do ok if you sell, with the price of the new ones the used market should be pretty hot.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:14 PM

Kijiji asking prices seem right in line with last year. INFLATED. Ask & receive might well be different this year though, there appears to be lots of new inventory available.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-25-2023, 05:33 PM

I am amazed at how much boats have gone up in the last few years. The boat I bought brand new in 2013 (Lund TYEE) is more than double in price since then. Crazy.

It stand to reason - if new went up by twice as much - used would be the same.

I had an offer on my boat last year for MORE than I paid for it. Just Crazy.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I am amazed at how much boats have gone up in the last few years. The boat I bought brand new in 2013 (Lund TYEE) is more than double in price since then. Crazy.

Had a similar experience. No use selling at the time as there was no stock available to replace or upgrade.

The low-hour unit had dealers looking to buy due to low stock and availability last year.

Most times the only limiting factor when selling a used boat is financing options for the buyer. Not all can pay cash on the barrel head or finance so have plenty of tire kickers. The US market is also an option for low-hour units as the dollar is in their favor.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

No doubt!!!! The kind I bought new in 2015 is like yours. Too bad getting into a new one would cost twice as much. Lol
Old 01-26-2023, 09:43 AM

I had a local dealer last spring who serviced mine the fall before call asking if I'd like to sell. He had a customer looking for one like mine. They were offering $10,000 more than I had in mine. I thought it about it until I looked into replacing it and it was going to cost me at least $32,000 more than I'd get for mine.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:50 AM

Just out of curiosity, I priced out the same boat that I bought last year, and the price is up 15%. Just like with snowmobile prices, they are still climbing, despite higher interest rates.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
Had a similar experience. No use selling at the time as there was no stock available to replace or upgrade.

The low-hour unit had dealers looking to buy due to low stock and availability last year.

Most times the only limiting factor when selling a used boat is financing options for the buyer. Not all can pay cash on the barrel head or finance so have plenty of tire kickers. The US market is also an option for low-hour units as the dollar is in their favor.
I stopped in to Kingfisher last fall and apparently all of their build spots are pre sold 2 years out !!!
Old 01-27-2023, 03:52 PM

Smile Boat Value ??

I have decided that it is time for my boat to find a new home.
Health has made using it difficult and not as much fun as in the past.
Used 5 times in last 2 years..
My problem is I have no idea as to what it is worth.
2008 Fish Rite 16' Power Drifter ,Galvanized EZ loader Trailer with side bunks.
Perfectly set up as a Guide boat for 3 People.
2012 Yamaha 4 Stroke, Fuel Injected 40-30 Jet with 70 Hours. Sold and serviced since new by Brian at Auto Marine..
Boat has 2 Fuel Tanks , 9 `Gull Oars, Heavy Duty cover, Bow mount anchor system etc.
Boat was Real Tree Camo wrap and is in good condition . Unique boat on The Bow River .
I am not greedy , but would like to sell it at a realistic price and not leave a ton of cash on the table.
Any thoughts as to value would be greatly appreciated.
PM Me if you would rather not discuss on here.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs View Post
I have decided that it is time for my boat to find a new home.
Health has made using it difficult and not as much fun as in the past.
Used 5 times in last 2 years..
My problem is I have no idea as to what it is worth.
2008 Fish Rite 16' Power Drifter ,Galvanized EZ loader Trailer with side bunks.
Perfectly set up as a Guide boat for 3 People.
2012 Yamaha 4 Stroke, Fuel Injected 40-30 Jet with 70 Hours. Sold and serviced since new by Brian at Auto Marine..
Boat has 2 Fuel Tanks , 9 `Gull Oars, Heavy Duty cover, Bow mount anchor system etc.
Boat was Real Tree Camo wrap and is in good condition . Unique boat on The Bow River .
I am not greedy , but would like to sell it at a realistic price and not leave a ton of cash on the table.
Any thoughts as to value would be greatly appreciated.
PM Me if you would rather not discuss on here.
Thanks
For a 15 year old boat, and 11 year old motor you should still be able to get 65%-70% of replacement if it is, as you stated, barely used and I'm assuming in very good condition. Even if it's in "good" condition - you will likely get 50% of replacement.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:16 PM

When the covid was in full swing and the lock down came people needed something to do cause they could not travel the regular way they wanted to. So they started buying stuff to be able to have something to do. Guess it was a health issue cause it did affect their brain. Gotta get out, gotta do something, gotta buy something. They did and put the market in a state of nothing left to buy at a reasonable price. New or used. The market might come down some cause now they can travel, go back to work the real way and have to pay crazy interest rates. We shall see. Some here did mention a while back about the turn around will happen but will take a couple years.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:15 PM

it is crazy. Bought a new aluminum 18' in 2014, factory ordered for a couple upgrades including higher HP main motor. $32k all in including tax, PDI etc. Same model in 2022 with smaller motor is $59K base price.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:29 PM

Although inflation has gone way up over the last ten years, in 2013, the dollar was on par with the US dollar and aluminum was at a major low - but even with that taken into consideration - just buying a decent new boat now days is a major investment.

Double the price in 10 years is mind boggling. I am going to run my boat as long as I can - when it's time to buy a new one - I'm sure I will shed a tear or two ...
Old 01-28-2023, 12:04 AM

Its funny because when covid started everyone on here was saying people would be loosing their jobs and having to sell their toys for cheap to pay the bills, so it was going to be a great time to buy.

While people lost their jobs, the exact opposite happened and now prices are through the roof.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Its funny because when covid started everyone on here was saying people would be loosing their jobs and having to sell their toys for cheap to pay the bills, so it was going to be a great time to buy.

While people lost their jobs, the exact opposite happened and now prices are through the roof.
People said the same when interest rates started to climb, and while it may happen, it hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post

CERB.......
Old 01-28-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
CERB.......
Exactly CERB $$. However CERB has ended. Prices down from 2021 prices. 2022 prices dropped fast after June 1. The peak was March, April, May, June 2021. Been slow erosion of prices from that peak. Much like everything else (Bitcoin, Vehicles, assets, real estate). Bubble everything……