Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 AM

Default Alec Baldwin accidentally kills Director Of Photography on movie set

Reminds me of when Bruce Lee’s son was killed during the filing of the crow.
Not a good day in the Hollywood world yesterday….

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/national...a6198bd94/amp/
Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 AM

It's truly sad that this kind of thing can happen in this day and age. It's not like the prop people aren't aware of the fact that blanks can be dangerous, and take precautions, so nobody gets hurt.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 AM

The way Hollywood is run I wonder what went on exactly. If a blank gun “misfired” and killed someone I doubt Baldwin would have the hand to hold a phone.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:31 AM

In the case of Brandon Lee the prop guys improperly checked the gun

the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions.
However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load).

For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
The way Hollywood is run I wonder what went on exactly. If a blank gun “misfired” and killed someone I doubt Baldwin would have the hand to hold a phone.
With the low standard of plots in today's movies and the reliance on "Action" to compensate for that, accidents like this are inevitable. Latest James Bond being a good example.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Such a tragic event.

With Baldwin being as outspoken as he is as an anti-gunner and know-it-all Hollywood leftist, he’s getting roasted pretty bad online. I’ve seen screenshots of various things he’s tweeted and articles of advocacy he’s been up to such as B-list celebs organizing against the NRA, or in response to an article about a police shooting he Tweeted “I wonder how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone” back in 2017. (**edited when I found the verbatim quote)

There is probably a certain former POTUS who used to have a Twitter account who is just itching to comment on this. High road or low road?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-22-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:53 AM

He won't have to wonder anymore. Tragic, and totally avoidable. Firearms safety is a thing, even for Hollywood idiots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022-085300.jpg (18.0 KB, 403 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Its a movie set, guns laying around etc and then you start farting around with them….if the potential for them to shoot a projectile out then they should be locked up when not in use but maybe they were about to use them and well it went off by goofing around?
Either way bloody tragic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2021, 04:43 PM

The line of responsibility for health and safety issues runs from the Producer to the Production Manager and First Assistant Director and finally on to all crew members who have a duty of care which is recognized by law. If someone can see the potential for an accident and does nothing to try to prevent it, they and their senior colleagues can be held responsible. Safety Supervisors are in charge of preparing a risk assessment which is a detailed document that needs to be done for every film shoot, no matter how small. It lists the possible health and safety risks and hazards that may occur on any film set. It also includes the severity of injury that could occur and the practical control measures to be implemented in order to minimize the risk of injury…

Old 10-26-2021, 03:16 PM

Funny how if you put a revolver on a table with a few rounds beside it in a room full of people sooner or later it will go off!

Old 10-26-2021, 03:59 PM

In an email statement to The Associated Press, a producer for the movie Freedom's Path*confirmed that Dave Halls was fired from the 2019 production after a crew member suffered a minor injury "when a gun was unexpectedly discharged." The producer, who asked not to be identified by name, wrote that Halls "was removed from the set immediately." Production did not resume until Halls was gone.

Like I said Halls is a loose cannon on the set
Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 PM

Yep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99326E58-A95F-4E05-AF63-53A4A40ACDEB.jpg (30.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:25 PM

I just find it incredibly ironic that the actor who was so pro gun control and banning had little to no gun control on set. Even when there was an incident earlier in the week they did nothing to correct the protocol and remove the questionable staff. This is on Baldwin and he should do time
Old 10-27-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I just find it incredibly ironic that the actor who was so pro gun control and banning had little to no gun control on set. Even when there was an incident earlier in the week they did nothing to correct the protocol and remove the questionable staff. This is on Baldwin and he should do time
Exactly^^^.

The man who rants about the dangers of guns should of been more vigilant around these tools.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-28-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I’d like to see some creative sentencing by the judge on this. Give Baldwin some jail time of course, and not a pittance either, but following his sentence have him doing gun safety education presentations at schools and such, akin to how ex-con’s participate in those scared straight programs. But have a gun expert there to cover the safe handling part, Alec just gets to be the bad example.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:57 AM

I haven’t read through this thread a all the way , but if someone hands me a gun and I don’t prove it safe then I only have myself to blame if someone is killed or injured as a result of my own negligence.

That’s how I was taught when I took the firearms safety course and that is how I taught fire arms safety when I taught the course

Bottomline is Baldwin is responsible for this mess and should be charged with manslaughter at the very least.
I doubt that will happen though.
Also I cannot think of a good reason for there to be any live ammo on the set of movie production. Stupid idea to begin with.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:18 AM

The protocol is to have the armourer show the actor the gun is safe by opening it or if it's a cold gun by pulling trigger 6 times in a safe direction before handing it over.

Gutierrez Reed told a detective that no live ammo was ever kept on the set.

Halls, who handed the gun to Baldwin before the shooting, said Gutierrez Reed typically opened the hatch of the gun and spun the drum, though he couldn't recall if she did that before the shooting. He said he only remembered seeing three rounds in the gun, according to the warrant.

After the shooting, Halls took the gun to Gutierrez and said he saw five rounds in the gun, at least four of them were "dummy" rounds indicated by a hole on the side and a cap on the round. Halls said there was also a casing in the gun that did not have the cap and did not have the hole indicating it was a dummy, the warrant said.

Baldwin in his role as actor appeared unlikely to be held criminally or civilly liable for the tragedy. As a producer, however, he is among a long list of associates on the film who could face some sort of liability.

Baldwin appears to have dodged a bullet as an actor, as a producer he could face some penalties and lawsuits
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ings-1.6226872
Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 PM

Funny, here and MSM immediately said accidentally killed her. As soon as it happened. No investigation, no question, I wonder what the headlines would have been if it was Mel Gibson on the other end of that gun. Shalom...

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-31-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Funny, here and MSM immediately said accidentally killed her. As soon as it happened. No investigation, no question, I wonder what the headlines would have been if it was Mel Gibson on the other end of that gun. Shalom...

On another forum someone made the suggestion that if it was Tom Selleck who did it, we as the gun community would not be criticizing him. This is true, but not for the reason they suggested. This is because Tom Selleck, being a gun guy, would habitually check his own firearm and the incident wouldn't have happened in the first place. An experienced and professional actor who is also an experienced and professional gun aficionado following gun safety and nothing happening, go figure....
Old 11-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
On another forum someone made the suggestion that if it was Tom Selleck who did it, we as the gun community would not be criticizing him. This is true, but not for the reason they suggested. This is because Tom Selleck, being a gun guy, would habitually check his own firearm and the incident wouldn't have happened in the first place. An experienced and professional actor who is also an experienced and professional gun aficionado following gun safety and nothing happening, go figure....
Agree 100%
Old 11-01-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You would have to ask Tom Selleck but what I have gathered from other posts on this thread is that the last thing the armorer wants is having the talent trying to examine the prop. I know nothing about this first hand but there is lots here to suggest that's correct. There is no way to know if the actor knows anything about firearms so there are supposed to be lots of safety protocols to be sure that doesn't matter.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:47 PM

The actor is not required to be a firearms expert , and with the exception of the armorer, neither is any other member of the crew or cast, or the producer. What they are all required to do , is to follow the safety protocols concerning the use of firearms on the set. If they all follow the safety protocols, nobody gets hurt.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Default That didn't take long

They are stirring up emotional support by portraying Baldwin as a victim.
Must divert attention from the fact they ignored all prop firearm safety protocols in order for this to happen; this was not an accident.
Disgusting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...=pocket-newtab

Excerpt:
Quote:
Alec Baldwin and the neglected trauma of unintentional killing

Along with feelings of shock, Baldwin may also be experiencing moral injury, which Gray defines as "guilt when our behavior fails to live up to our moral expectations." As a result, many unintentional killers often engage in self-destructive behaviors, like denying themselves happiness or punishing themselves.

It may be tempting for some to criticize Baldwin, but experts say this is an oversimplification of a complex incident.

"We have enough compassion in our hearts that we can not only mourn for Halyna, but also recognize the suffering and despair that Baldwin may well be experiencing," Gray advises. "We can acknowledge great harm has been done and hold people accountable, yet we can also recognize he didn't intend harm and that he may be suffering from psychological despair."

Ching says everyone on set is likely traumatized from witnessing the unexpected death, but instead of pointing fingers and speculating who's responsible, we should show empathy and compassion.
"We live in a culture that loves to critique for sport," says Ching. "We want to have blame and have people pay, and we do need justice and accountability. But if we don't have empathy and compassion along with it, we're just going to continue piling on the ruthlessness we're seeing in our culture today."

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-20-2023, 09:57 AM

From what has been said on all the news casts I have heard.....that smug Baldwin and only Baldwin is guilty. He is trying to throw everyone he can under the bus to lesson and divert blame....COWARD.... Even the eye witness guy that was shot, said Baldwin pulled the trigger....

In the real world, deployment of OHS standards are there to protect employers and employees for a safe work place.....

Baldwin's set was unsafe because he ignored the safety protocols, was cheap $$$, rushed and cut corners....THAT IS WHEN ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

Guns, not so funny now eh, Baldwin.

"A-Lister" my butt.......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:43 AM

He should absolutely be raked over the coals by the labor safety authority, regardless of whatever criminal charges his fame & fortune might help him avoid. Even make the process the punishment, those types of gov't org's excel at that!
Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM

The irony of it all, is that Baldwin is one of those people that feels that citizens can't be trusted to own firerarms. He failed as the actor handling the firearm, and as the producer, by not enforcing the safety protocols on set. If he had done his job as either, this would not have happened. This happened on his set, and he pulled the trigger, so I see no way of him not being found guilty of at least some charges.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:23 AM

My guess is he gets found guilty on a lot of smaller charges but not involuntary manslaughter. He has too many people to point the blame to before the crap sticks to him. Might even plea out to that long before a trial. Not right but that's what I think will happen. The Armory lady will get nailed to the wall and see jail time.

Thought I heard on the news or read that he settled a lawsuit already with the deceased ladies family.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:35 PM

Why was the firearm pointed in a deadly direction???
Old 01-20-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
My guess is he gets found guilty on a lot of smaller charges but not involuntary manslaughter. He has too many people to point the blame to before the crap sticks to him. Might even plea out to that long before a trial. Not right but that's what I think will happen. The Armory lady will get nailed to the wall and see jail time.

Thought I heard on the news or read that he settled a lawsuit already with the deceased ladies family.
I could see Possible negligent endangerment or something along those lines. But in the end multiple people were responsible for the many fails leading up to the incident but the firearm was in his hand where he had it pointed. Will be interesting to see how this cookie crumbles.