Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Default any old wives tails for treating blisters?

i got a new pair of rugby boots this weekend... and much to my sorrow they didnt fit as well as i thought they did.. so i have a huge blister on each heel.. one of which the skin was ripped fully off the blister leaving the red raw skin below..

the other thankfully still has the skin covering so ive left it well alone..

so does anyone have any tips on how to best heal the raw one??? ive never had one with the skin removed before as ive always treated them before its got that far..

ive got a rugby match wednesday night.. going to use my old boots which fit well.. but right now i can hardly walk in shoes... so living in sandals.. i will put hockey tape over my heels for the game.. but need to get them at least half healed to make the pain bearable...

isnt it funny how the smallest silliest things can be the most painful..

Last edited by crunchiespg; 07-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM

I buy a liquid product that comes in a small bottle called second skin.

If you're like me, you will scream and cry like a small child when applying on the raw wound, but it will build up layers of this synthetic skin to help. It's more flexible and won't work itself off like moleskin does.

I'd apply it the night before the game a few times, but in the meantime, let it breathe and try not to aggravate it by wearing your sandals.

I hate blisters...

Here's my foot from last week!

Been doing a bunch of hiking lately.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I buy a liquid product that comes in a small bottle called second skin.

If you're like me, you will scream and cry like a small child when applying on the raw wound, but it will build up layers of this synthetic skin to help. It's more flexible and won't work itself off like moleskin does.

I'd apply it the night before the game a few times, but in the meantime, let it breathe and try not to aggravate it by wearing your sandals.

I hate blisters...

Here's my foot from last week!

Been doing a bunch of hiking lately.
hmmm, ive heard of the pain that stuff causes... lol... it might be my only option..

its ok, the sandals are heel less so its nice and open to the air...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
hmmm, ive heard of the pain that stuff causes... lol... it might be my only option..
I've thought about tape recording myself to be used as a 'distress call' for feral pigs...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Blisters

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Get some second skin burn pads and apply it to the broken blister. It will sting for a few seconds then start to cool the area. After a few minutes the pad sorta melts to form an airtight seal around the blister. Once the pad starts to dry out just get it wet and it softens up again.

If you have a large piece of moleskin you might want to put it on overtop of the burn pad for some extra protection.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Blisters

Try herb "Swedish Bitters".You can find in some health stores in Edmonton.
Belevie mi its amazing herb (elixir). Help for many things!!!
To read more -Google ~ "Swedish Bitters"
Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Apply one of these for 10-12 hours per day. Guaranteed never another blister again.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM

You must be one of those damn backs! Crying about a little blister! If you guys weren't so busy knocking on the ball and whining about the impact of open field tackles, maybe you would help your poor forward team mates win some games. Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
You must be one of those damn backs! Crying about a little blister! If you guys weren't so busy knocking on the ball and whining about the impact of open field tackles, maybe you would help your poor forward team mates win some games. Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila.
actually im front row forward...
id take broken bones over this blister..
its amazing how something so small can literally stop you in your tracks..
lol
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM

I used to soak my new boots under the tap and wore them to break them in. It wasn't too good for the leather but then again you're probably not getting even two seasons out of a pair of Rugby boots anyway. For blisters I used to use moleskin or duct tape and lots of vaseline.

By the way, I played half a game in the front row and that was plenty for me! Cheers.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila
The above statement is a pot calling the kettle black!

Real men play hockey. Think rugby but with 30 razor sharp blades, a puck that travels at over 100mph, each player carries a stick/weapon, and fighting is encouraged.

Scrum pppffffft.

Who wants to play a sport where a hooker can ruck you over?