Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Angry Motor Problems

Hey guys, just wondering if someone can help me out here. I have a 1978 70hp outboard on my boat. Last day of season last year it caused me some problems. Worked fine all summer except for a minor carb problem which i got fixed in April. The other problem i had is it wouldn't start with the key. The electric choke worked fine but the motor wouldn't turn over. It worked fine at the shop during the carb repair and for the first half of the day on saturday, then it happened again. I have to use booster cables to go from the battery to the starting motor and as soon as i touch the starter the motor fires right up. I can't figure out if it's the selanoid switch(usually u should hear it click-like on a car...right?) or if there's a broken wire? Maybe even something with the ignition? Frustrating to say the least!If anybody has an idea what's going on, please let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Try jumping between 2 large terminals on solenoid if it starts it's the solenoid
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Clean and shine and tighten all your connections. Would help if you said what make but this would be my start point with any make. Actually, my first check would be the condition/volts of the battery. Best of luck. Rick.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Last year I had a similar problem.

Discovered that it was simply the connections. I had the other electricals (live well, sonar, etc) connected first then the motor. Even thought the positive post was not corroded it just wouldn't start. Took everything off and just hooked up the motor and it worked fine. When I added the other stuff it still worked fine - and still does.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Sorry,it's an evinrude. also a brand new battery,so i'll try the crossover on the selanoid and clean my connections.Thanks for the info guys,i'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Last year I had a similar problem.

Discovered that it was simply the connections. I had the other electricals (live well, sonar, etc) connected first then the motor. Even thought the positive post was not corroded it just wouldn't start. Took everything off and just hooked up the motor and it worked fine. When I added the other stuff it still worked fine - and still does.
I always put the motor connections on first followed by a hex nut that I tighten with a wrench, then the other stuff and the wing nut. The motor needs the best of contacts for sure. Rick.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Try jumping between 2 large terminals on solenoid if it starts it's the solenoid
Well Horsetrader i tried your suggestion with the solenoid and it did start.guess you were right so i'm going to pick up a new one.I'll also take the time to clean up all my connections to prevent any future problems in that area. Thanks for the info guys.I knew i could count on AO members to help me out.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Guess i was wrong.Put a new solenoid on the motor an hour ago and it's doing the same thing.When i jump from one big terminal to the other on the solenoid it'll start no problem but it still won't turn over with the key.I'm stumped-anyone have any other tricks i can try?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM

If it starts when you jump the solenoid but not with the key I would think it's obviously either the ignition key itself or a broken wire in between the key and the solenoid. Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Actually not the key, but the ignition switch that the key engages.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Get a wire diagram from the net and a meter one that checks for dc power check your potential difference while turning key youl find the problem that way for sure
Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Default motor

get a 99cent test light, ground the alligator clip to any clean metal on the motor, pierce the small wire on the solenoid and get someone to turn the key to crank postition if it lights up then your ignition switch is ok and your problem is the solenoid, im assuming the starter motor is ok considering when you touched it with the booster cable it started. If the light doesnt light up you have a broken wire between the switch and solenoid, or the ignition switch is busted, im also assuming your getting power to the ignition switch since your choke is engaging. there really isnt much to check, should be an easy fix, if you have any questions drop me line.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM

I found out what the problem was.Turns out it's the NEUTRAL SWITCH! I went and done a search on the web for evinrudes and there were dozens of people having the same problem.I wiggled the shifter/throttle control and the darn thing turned over.What a pain in the neck!Thanks for your help guys,you were on the right track.The tests that you told me to do were the same ones those people were told to do.