Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM

I went thought from AB to BC and a police office popped out with a black lab that was "Trained in sniffing out zebra mussels" I have a feeling that dog was trained to sniff for a whole lot more. That would be a real shame to get pulled over for a boat check and the drug dog sniffs out your stash.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusII View Post
I went thought from AB to BC and a police office popped out with a black lab that was "Trained in sniffing out zebra mussels" I have a feeling that dog was trained to sniff for a whole lot more. That would be a real shame to get pulled over for a boat check and the drug dog sniffs out your stash.
They tried that with my boat in Vermilion once. I told them their dog was not boarding my boat. Again the woman in charge got snotty, and I reminded them it was an ocean boat, the last time it was in the water was July the previous year, and this was May. I said get booties on your dog and have at it, until then pound sand.
They then said I was exempt again.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They tried that with my boat in Vermilion once. I told them their dog was not boarding my boat. Again the woman in charge got snotty, and I reminded them it was an ocean boat, the last time it was in the water was July the previous year, and this was May. I said get booties on your dog and have at it, until then pound sand.
You seam to have problems when women are in charge...there appears to be a trend..

I have been checked 4 times never an issue.

Mack
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I bet you did
Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusII View Post
This entire thread is a cornucopia of misinformation:

Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I aways take my plug out as soon as I get out of the water....but the next time I head out I put it back in. By this time, everything is cleaned and dryed out which is why I do not understand pulling the plug on your way out for the next fishing trip. However, I totally understand when coming off a body of water.
They are supposed to know you are on your way out?
Just pull the plug.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
LOL! Arrest that man!!!
Sounds like they were all over the place and not really following anything.

By the way, have you been through these inspections yourself? With your own boat?
Yes.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You seam to have problems when women are in charge...there appears to be a trend..

I have been checked 4 times never an issue.

Mack
You seem to get off following me around and bitching about everything I post.

Good for you Sally.

Ken

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Yes.
How many times? And what was it, a canoe?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
How many times? And what was it, a canoe?
Am I supposed to breakdown and reveal all after being subjected to an exhaustive interrogation?

Why don't you tell us all about yourself and how this thread threatens you.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 PM

Train wreck, inevitable as always.

well done guys

Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
You seem to get off following me around and bitching about everything I post.

Good for you Sally.

Ken
But you make it so easy .

Mack
Old 07-18-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
But you make it so easy .

Mack
What's that? Upping your post count for no reason or your incessant trolling?

Grow up

Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
What's that? Upping your post count for no reason or your incessant trolling?

Grow up
See what i mean you tell someone to grow up just after you childishly called him. Sally.
And why would I care about my post count is that important to YOU!!!

I just thought it was funny that you seem to have problems going through something that is so simple. I think the process is a good idea. Pulling my plug every time is a pain because of location but i will do it

Mack
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Am I supposed to breakdown and reveal all after being subjected to an exhaustive interrogation?

Why don't you tell us all about yourself and how this thread threatens you.
Figured as much. You can take a thread sideways by turning a casual conversation into something else. Thanks for coming out.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Figured as much. You can take a thread sideways by turning a casual conversation into something else. Thanks for coming out.
Wrong. Some participants of this thread don't agree with the programme, by extension could care less about preserving Alberta's waterbodies and deride the officials who conduct it and others promoting it. Do you see yourself in that category?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but .
It doesn't take that much intelligence to remember to drain a boat and pull the plug. Perhaps write a reminder note and tape it to your dashboard. I stopped at a check station yesterday and the gave me a floating key holder that says "Pull the plug" in big letters. All kinds of different ways to help you to remember this 5 second task. I mean, you take the time to drain and dry out the live well, the bilge, etc. anyway.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Went boating with a guy once, who forgot to replace it. Hey Les, why is there water in the back of the boat ?

Grizz
Hahaha, the new regs state "remove the plug when traveling" on land only though....lol

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Some participants of this thread don't agree with the programme, by extension could care less about preserving Alberta's waterbodies and deride the officials who conduct it and others promoting it. Do you see yourself in that category?
See, you really take this another direction. Like there is some conspiracy against the "program" and people that want to ruin our lakes. We are all the same here. I doubt there is a single person on this post, or AO for that matter, that doesn't want to preserve our waterways. The fact that you just admitted, again, that you think some are, shows how out of touch and accusational you are. This is a fishing forum, we are all pretty much like minded. No need to stir things up alright?

For me, I've only been stopped coming back from the foothills or Jasper in my 12 foot aluminum since I'm usually fishing lakes that are electric motors only. Not exactly a hard water craft for them to inspect. Kind of a waste of too much time on my little boat when I see others with full sized, live well, bilge pump systems, etc. That spend about the same amount of time there. At least I have a great collection of shammies now

If I came through with my bigger boat, I would expect to spend some additional time there. It doesn't sound like that is happening and Ken's example shows a real lake of consistency. So how effective is this going to be at stopping the spread?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
Oh my what sense does this make man I can't figure this one out.
Your government at work.
As long as they feel all worm and cozy when they fall asleep that there saving our water ways sounds like a cash grab to me.
All this is going to do is have some poor smuck forget to put his plug in and sink his boat
Roll of electrical tape, tape the plug to the wheel of your boat or tiller.
also you should make sure your boat is drained as the weight of water floating around can cause dangerous conditions for you when driving
Lake Ontario is over run with zebra mussels and they kill everything since they filter feed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simong View Post
Roll of electrical tape, tape the plug to the wheel of your boat or tiller.
also you should make sure your boat is drained as the weight of water floating around can cause dangerous conditions for you when driving
Lake Ontario is over run with zebra mussels and they kill everything since they filter feed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I have in big black letters PLUG right at the boarding ladder. Taping it to the wheel is very smart.

Is there any way to kill them? Is the lake ruined forever?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
See, you really take this another direction. Like there is some conspiracy against the "program" and people that want to ruin our lakes. We are all the same here. I doubt there is a single person on this post, or AO for that matter, that doesn't want to preserve our waterways. The fact that you just admitted, again, that you think some are, shows how out of touch and accusational you are. This is a fishing forum, we are all pretty much like minded. No need to stir things up alright?

For me, I've only been stopped coming back from the foothills or Jasper in my 12 foot aluminum since I'm usually fishing lakes that are electric motors only. Not exactly a hard water craft for them to inspect. Kind of a waste of too much time on my little boat when I see others with full sized, live well, bilge pump systems, etc. That spend about the same amount of time there. At least I have a great collection of shammies now

If I came through with my bigger boat, I would expect to spend some additional time there. It doesn't sound like that is happening and Ken's example shows a real lake of consistency. So how effective is this going to be at stopping the spread?
You seem to think that everything that anyone says on AO is factual. The examples of he said/she said are just one persons renditions of what happened.......with a little embellishment me thinks I'm not accusing anyone of making anything up, but all the accusations here are one sided. Like I've been saying, this whole thread is lacking credibility.......I've yet to see proof of one person (in AB) who has received a "ticket" for any of the infractions mentioned here. The reason for not seeing any evidence of a ticket is there aren't any "tickets" being issued in AB. LEO's may issue an appearance notice, to appear in court or give a warning. I've seen written warnings but no tickets. Personally I'd rather receive a ticket than have to go to court in a location hundreds of km's away from home on a day when I should be working. The only "ticket" that I can think of that could be issued is one for failing to obey traffic signs...........i.e., those signs that say mandatory watercraft inspection ahead. I've waited in line while larger boats were being flushed...........my little "clean/drained/dry" fishing boat went through speedily. My experiences are certainly different than others......................and................... ....there is no such thing as "exempt" from inspection.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I have in big black letters PLUG right at the boarding ladder. Taping it to the wheel is very smart.
Yep, that is a good idea until I get used to it.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Mine had a ring on it and gets carabineered to the keys. Can't grab the keys to the boat without grabbing the plug.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Nope unfortunately there is no way to stop them once they've entered a waterbody.

Only option is manual removal (scraping) just to keep them off the structure, but this only keeps them at bay, they will grow back.

Exposure to dry conditions for 30+ days will kill them, say on a boat or dock etc
Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You seem to think that everything that anyone says on AO is factual. The examples of he said/she said are just one persons renditions of what happened.......with a little embellishment me thinks I'm not accusing anyone of making anything up, but all the accusations here are one sided. Like I've been saying, this whole thread is lacking credibility.......I've yet to see proof of one person (in AB) who has received a "ticket" for any of the infractions mentioned here. The reason for not seeing any evidence of a ticket is there aren't any "tickets" being issued in AB. LEO's may issue an appearance notice, to appear in court or give a warning. I've seen written warnings but no tickets. Personally I'd rather receive a ticket than have to go to court in a location hundreds of km's away from home on a day when I should be working. The only "ticket" that I can think of that could be issued is one for failing to obey traffic signs...........i.e., those signs that say mandatory watercraft inspection ahead. I've waited in line while larger boats were being flushed...........my little "clean/drained/dry" fishing boat went through speedily. My experiences are certainly different than others......................and................... ....there is no such thing as "exempt" from inspection.
Who are you talking about? Ken for stating that they said exempt to him and the Op for posting a fine amount...or fine at all? It would help if you were more clear and direct rather than the long winded and, yes, accusational posts.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 07-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default Some people love to cry out loud.

With the exception of the bigus dickus contest, this thread serves as a reminder that a serious problem exists and the public awareness campaign is like a stupid television ad that angers us but causes us to remember the name of the product anyway. Like that annoying 'Gary' from Canadian Tire.

It occurs to me that anyone who has had a boat for longer than zebra mussels have been making the news has forgotten the bilge plug. ONCE. It would be my guess that if a person feels the need to speed excessively every time he gets into his truck then a little thing like being held up by a stop/check would drive him crazy.

The bit about the upside-down tinner on the rack needing the plug out is a bit perplexing. That one needs to be challenged in court.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
With the exception of the bigus dickus contest,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

To the Op on the original post:
Quote:
Pull the Plug! It's the Law
In Alberta, it is illegal to transport your watercraft with the drain plug still in place, as outlined under subsection 6.1 of the provincial Fisheries Ministerial Regulation.
Watercraft users must demonstrate upon inspection that their watercraft has been drained of standing water. Those who fail to comply may be subject to a court appearance and fined up to $100,000.
To review the Regulation, visit the Alberta Queen's Printer website at:
http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...your-boat.aspx

Ken, if I'm interpreting this right, the bill / law allows them to check your boat regardless - no exemptions. You can get to the good parts of the Bill 13 if you search for "inspect"

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index....l=28&session=3

Quote:
Inspection stations for invasive species
33.2(1) The Minister may establish inspection stations on or
immediately adjacent to highways within the meaning of the
Traffic Safety Act for the purpose of carrying out the legislative
intent described in section 1(4).
(2) Where the Minister establishes an inspection station, the
Minister shall, by means of signs that the Government
establishes, have its presence identified at the approaches to it
so that it is clearly visible to oncoming traffic.
(3) An individual operating a conveyance of a kind specified in
an order under section 32(7)(a) that is approaching an
inspection station that is open for inspections shall stop the
conveyance, submit to an inspection and otherwise comply with
any other applicable rules made under section 32(7).
(4) An official at an inspection station may conduct any
decontamination of a conveyance that the official regards as
necessary to reflect the intent referred to in subsection (1).
(5) In addition to complying with section 26(5), a person
referred to in that subsection in a conveyance shall assist the
official to effect the decontamination under subsection (4).
Offences and Penalties
Obstruction
34 A person shall not obstruct an official in the performance
of the official’s duties or the exercise of his or her powers under
this Act.
I haven't gone through an inspection station with a boat like your's. Yes, I do have "boat envy"
Mine has been easy with the little water crafts but I did notice varying degrees on bigger boats. Mostly as quick as my little boat...
Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Default How many of you...

Since this is really about the spread of invasive species, how many of you are doing this (especially the bold one):

Quote:
Clean

Clean and inspect watercraft, trailer and gear
Remove all plants, animals, and mud at the access area or dock
At home, soak your gear in a bleach solution for at least one minute
Rinse, scrub or pressure wash your boat away from storm drains, ditches or waterways

Drain

On land, before leaving the waterbody, drain all water from:
Bait buckets
Ballasts
Bilges
Coolers
Internal compartments
Livewells, etc