Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Coyote,s

2017-Good or bad run of coyote,s this year .I am 40% bad.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Could u explain bad.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Default coyote

coyote shoulder mite,s or mange.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 PM

What area are you located in
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 PM

The worst about mange is it is often transferred among coyotes at the den site. The mange or mites will hold on the roof of the den and drop onto any coyote that enters.
That's why some areas are more prone to inflicton. If there is lots of mange in an area a person would have to kill all the mangy yappers and treat the dens to fix the problem.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 AM

I found hitting them hard the first year really cleans up the mange. Next year will be better if you get a decent amount of coyotes off a bait this year.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Nube, since mange is passed around the group, do you think trapping baits would put larger numbers in closer proximity to each other? I don't mean a single set, but possibly a carcass or a feed lot dead pile? i would think it would be harder to get rid of mange in these cases.
I seldom see a mangy coyote and when I do I punch him dance card, summer of winter.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM

i have been shooting the same deadpit at a feedlot for 3 years now and can say that i have not anywhere near the same number of mangy dogs as i did when i first started. mites on the other hand

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I found hitting them hard the first year really cleans up the mange. Next year will be better if you get a decent amount of coyotes off a bait this year.
I have found that to be true as well. I seem to have entirely gotten rid of mange and mites at a a few of my bait sites. Every year it gets better by taking out the infected dogs. I wonder if the mites, lice, etc die off without a host. They must need food to survive.

Unlike the threat of spreading CWD at bait sites for deer, I don't think that they contribute much to the spread of mange or mites in coyotes. Nothing scientific, just my observation. I have noticed that dead pits and coyote carcasses attract more sick coyotes than a created site though. I guess when they are that sick they stick with the easy pickings. Healthy coyotes around here have no interest in coyote carcasses.

I'm seeing LOTS of coyotes this year and I've yet to see a mange one. Snares going up Thursday/Friday so I'll see. It's GO time.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM

So for those of you who are snaring and shooting mangy and mite ridden coyotes. Once you find that it is no good do you have a specified method of disposal or do they just get left or chucked in the bush?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
So for those of you who are snaring and shooting mangy and mite ridden coyotes. Once you find that it is no good do you have a specified method of disposal or do they just get left or chucked in the bush?
I have a separate location altogether.....even away from my coyote carcasses. I then pour some chainsaw gas on them and light them up.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
i have been shooting the same deadpit at a feedlot for 3 years now and can say that i have not anywhere near the same number of mangy dogs as i did when i first started. mites on the other hand
I am quite impressed by this, How many do you typically kill a year off that place? There's a feedlot spot I often hunt and it seems to me the mange is always brutal...quite often it is just the early onset, patches on the back legs, and the tail sometimes... Frustrating but good to know I'm eliminating them.

As for the OP I have been seeing lots of nice coyotes down here in southern Alberta during archery season. Mites do not seem to be as much of a problem in the south as they are in the north? Maybe I'm wrong but just what I have noticed.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
I am quite impressed by this, How many do you typically kill a year off that place? There's a feedlot spot I often hunt and it seems to me the mange is always brutal...quite often it is just the early onset, patches on the back legs, and the tail sometimes... Frustrating but good to know I'm eliminating them.
its been kinda up and down with the average being 15-20 last year was quite bad there with only 10 or so shot from there mostly pups and the odd one with heavy mites. this year has been awesome so far. i am up to 16 coyotes 10 of which have come from that deadpit. i hope to get to 50 total this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have a separate location altogether.....even away from my coyote carcasses. I then pour some chainsaw gas on them and light them up.
thats exactly what i was thinking of doing. the mite situation round here is getting dumb and just killing the ones i see with it dosnt seem to be helping.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=tikka250;3662408]its been kinda up and down with the average being 15-20 last year was quite bad there with only 10 or so shot from there mostly pups and the odd one with heavy mites. this year has been awesome so far. i am up to 16 coyotes 10 of which have come from that deadpit. i hope to get to 50 total this year.

So awesome! Good luck!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Caught 15 so far. 4 are totally garbage, good ones have had nice white bellies better then other years.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 PM

East central is about 2 out of 10 from what I've seen already. Maybe I'm just lucky it was 4 out of ten last year I even quit trapping and snaring and started calling so I could have a look at them. Numbers down here unless you get in the valleys and coulees maybe that has something to do with it. You really think it's spread in the den? ? I see nice big mature yotes with shoulder mites way more than the smaller and younger ones. Male or female make a difference you think?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:45 AM

After reading this thread has gotten my curiosity up. I'm going to keep a short journal in my phone as to wether I shot/snared one at a deadpit or called it and if it has mites hopefully i can find a pattern.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM

So I figured I would update this with what I have so far. Since last posting work has gotten in the way of coyote hunting so not as many as I had hoped.

Before count. 14 killed 3 with mites.
11/11/17. 2 shot. Deadpit. One pup, good. One adult, heavy mites.
11/26/17. 2 snared 1 fem pup, wooly bad guard hairs pink belly (early mange?). 1 fox.
12/03/17. 2 males 1 pup 1 adult both great condition.(called)
12/07/17. 1 snared. Large adult male. Mites.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 PM

I've had two bad out of the 15 I caught this week. Just started so hard to tell so far last cupel years i run about 15-20 percents for mites and mange.