Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If your point is that you don't load or shoot tight enough to ever see a difference in primers, nor are you worried about pressure excursions, then you are making a point others may agree with. I trust however the description of the bucket is hyperbole for the sake of illustration. If not, then your method of storing primers leaves a great deal to be desired. They are packed in their individually separated holes within their containers for a very good reason. Throwing a few thousand in a bucket is a REALLY BAD idea. Individually primers are not very dangerous, a few thousand going up at once would be another matter entirely.
That’s just how I do it. No one else needs to do it that way.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If your point is that you don't load or shoot tight enough to ever see a difference in primers, nor are you worried about pressure excursions, then you are making a point others may agree with. I trust however the description of the bucket is hyperbole for the sake of illustration. If not, then your method of storing primers leaves a great deal to be desired. They are packed in their individually separated holes within their containers for a very good reason. Throwing a few thousand in a bucket is a REALLY BAD idea. Individually primers are not very dangerous, a few thousand going up at once would be another matter entirely.
If the primers are kept separated at all times then they are not able to communicate. Having them in contact allows them to become part of the collective and adjust their ignition parameters to follow a more synchronized pattern. I’ve had several 0.7 moa hunting rifles that now shoot in the 2’s because the primers are allowed to communicate their ignition sequence parameters.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
If the primers are kept separated at all times then they are not able to communicate. Having them in contact allows them to become part of the collective and adjust their ignition parameters to follow a more synchronized pattern. I’ve had several 0.7 moa hunting rifles that now shoot in the 2’s because the primers are allowed to communicate their ignition sequence parameters.
Primers communicating their ignition sequence parameters? What kind of sorcery is this?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
You should do the same with powder, buy it on sale, throw it in a bucket, stir. Works in any cartridge, use with random primers, shoots in the 1's.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You should do the same with powder, buy it on sale, throw it in a bucket, stir. Works in any cartridge, use with random primers, shoots in the 1's.
For powders I usually just give them a quick check with a digital gaussmeter just prior to loading the cases. I’m not about to reveal the specified range.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
I mean. No.200 thus far. I did just have two duds with them through last weekend with my No.4.
CCI primers have a thicker cup and require more striker force then some other primers.
Your #4 MAY ?????? have a weak firing pin spring...or not, just a thought.

I have fired thousands of CCI 200 primers they were all I ever used for the longest time, never had a dud.. JM2cents
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 PM

I remember hearing tales of people, told by a friend who used to work there, in the CIL/IVI plant in Quebec wandering around with buckets full of primers. Apparently that didn't always end well.