Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Trad kills are posted on the "Harvest" thread every year and I am sure there will be some this year. Obviously you knew your post was less than positive as your response time to my post was impressive Almost like you were waiting for someone to call you out. Hunting season is open, if you are that bored, get out for a walk.
Lunch break bud . Either way was not meaning to be nagitive lol If i hurting your sensitive feelings I'll remove it .
Old 09-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger99 View Post
Lunch break bud . Either way was not meaning to be nagitive lol If i hurting your sensitive feelings I'll remove it .
Thanks
Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Not to sure how I tried . Guess your just going to get over it .

Sorry if I hurt feelings in any way ! Congrats to all the people harvesting great bow kills no matter the style of bow your using . Stick and string / compound / cross bow all big achievements and meat in the freezer !

Last edited by Ruger99; 09-16-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:12 PM

My son got this one with his bow on a Sask Draw tag.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Beauty deer Bearman.
Congrats to everyone who has harvested so far.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Got my bull on September 10th .
Called him in at 30 yds on a cow call ,played for couple of minutes , turned him around when he was ready to take of and arrowed him on a move in a very sick bushes through the lungs. Even the shot was a bit higher then expected he run only 40 yds.
My fastest elk hunting ever!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

Nice bull shooter12. Glad to see someone had some luck calling elk this year.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 PM

Default Archery Antelope

Left Fri returned Sun morn from the SE. This is a once for me considering I used 10 years of priority for the tag. Saw plenty of antelope, upwards of a 100 I would say. Have two draws that I've been saving for that I will cash in over the next two years (Trophy and Non-Trophy). In general, all the animals appeared to be smaller in the body that what I have seen say in Wyoming?

Double decoys worked great. Used a full size Montana buck decoy and a bow mounted Heads Up decoy. Used the Heads Up decoy 90 degrees to the Montana decoy. Through a jolt in the buck when at first he could only see the one deke and then the bow mounted deke popped up he just stopped not knowing who to come on to. 35 yards and near cut his heart in half.......

landscape

Ouch

sundown

sunup

trail

broken hearted

the deal

the gear

it's not about the horns
Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 AM

Fantastic pics of the pronghorn.
Well done
Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Left Fri returned Sun morn from the SE. This is a once for me considering I used 10 years of priority for the tag. Saw plenty of antelope, upwards of a 100 I would say. Have two draws that I've been saving for that I will cash in over the next two years (Trophy and Non-Trophy). In general, all the animals appeared to be smaller in the body that what I have seen say in Wyoming?

Double decoys worked great. Used a full size Montana buck decoy and a bow mounted Heads Up decoy. Used the Heads Up decoy 90 degrees to the Montana decoy. Through a jolt in the buck when at first he could only see the one deke and then the bow mounted deke popped up he just stopped not knowing who to come on to. 35 yards and near cut his heart in half.......

landscape

Ouch

sundown

sunup

trail

broken hearted

the deal

the gear

it's not about the horns
Well done CNP! I take it there was no problem gaining access? Thats good news! Hope the fortunes stay that way for my draw this October. Congrats again!

BDAJ
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Wicked!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Day 2 of year 3 (1st year hunting with the bow) was my day this year.

Last Monday my hunting partner and I cow called 3 bulls up a creek and this guy was the first to climb far enough up the creek for us to get set up on him.

We called back and forth from the ridge from about 400 yards away. Once we had a decent idea of where they were we dropped halfway down the creek. My partner set up about 70 yards behind me and after a good 20 minutes we got him up to 40 yards from me. I think he spotted my partner as he got within eye shot because he stared right at us as he approached. After about 3 (long-ass) minutes another elk further down the creek bugled and he turned to reply and I was able to come to full draw. As soon as I came to full draw he looked back in our direction. I waited probably 3 more minutes at full draw and he finally turned broadside to us as he let out a long bugle. I punched him a touch high but got good penetration. We waited 45 minutes and started following the blood trail. He ran about 150 yards down to the creek and about 80 yards up the other side. He was still alive but unable to move at all. I hit him a 2nd time in the neck and he was dead.

We processed the meat ourselves as we always do and we got 324lbs of quality protein from him. We spent the time and did the euro mount too, just need to pick up a Skull Hooker and he'll be up in the shop!

It was not perfect and I know where improvements can be made, but it was one of the craziest things I've ever done in my life and I still can't believe I got it done!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Nice work Madball! That's a good story and great trophy to go with it.

cutthroat
Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post

Last Monday my hunting partner and I cow called 3 bulls up a creek and this guy was the first to climb far enough up the creek for us to get set up on him.

We called back and forth from the ridge from about 400 yards away. Once we had a decent idea of where they were we dropped halfway down the creek. My partner set up about 70 yards behind me and after a good 20 minutes we got him up to 40 yards from me. I think he spotted my partner as he got within eye shot because he stared right at us as he approached. After about 3 (long-ass) minutes another elk further down the creek bugled and he turned to reply and I was able to come to full draw. As soon as I came to full draw he looked back in our direction. I waited probably 3 more minutes at full draw and he finally turned broadside to us as he let out a long bugle. I punched him a touch high but got good penetration. We waited 45 minutes and started following the blood trail. He ran about 150 yards down to the creek and about 80 yards up the other side. He was still alive but unable to move at all. I hit him a 2nd time in the neck and he was dead.

We processed the meat ourselves as we always do and we got 324lbs of quality protein from him. We spent the time and did the euro mount too, just need to pick up a Skull Hooker and he'll be up in the shop!

It was not perfect and I know where improvements can be made, but it was one of the craziest things I've ever done in my life and I still can't believe I got it done!
Yep, crazy but fun.... And now you'll be hooked for life!

Welcome to the dark side (we have cookies and pepperoni!)

J.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Great bull madball!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Yesterday morning I had my first ever archery harvest. I headed out Saturday evening for the last few hours of shooting light hoping to find a new area for moose as everywhere I had scouted had bombed. I headed out of town to check on a tip from a buddy, I ended up taking the wrong road and pulled over to look at the map. As luck would have it there was a powerline across the road where I glassed up a cow and calf bedded. Off I went to check it out, I came in from a pipeline part way down and within a couple hundred yards bumped a different cow and yearling. Further along I found rubs and beds and fresh tracks everywhere, I bumped another cow in the dark on my way back to the truck. That night there was very little sleep as I lay waiting for morning. The next morning I walked into the start of the pipeline in the dark waiting for shooting light. As first light hit I was just getting to where I saw the first cow calf pair the night before when I heard a grunt, I quickly snuck into where I planned on setting up and started cow calling. Right away I could hear him start coming in I called a few more times back and forth. After a few minutes which felt like a lifetime he stepped out at 20yds and started to walk away from me. I drew back and gave a quick grunt as he stopped and turned slightly quartering away from me. I settled the pin and released, I could hear the arrow hit with a sound I keep hearing about online and he dropped a second later, got up and started to run I gave another cow call and he stopped and started to turn to look back just as he dropped and rolled legs up a couple kicks later he was done. He had made it less then 15 yds and I couldn't believe it had all happened so quick. I made a quick call to the wife to make her day as she loves moose and then the work started, what a chore dealing with a moose by yourself. The arrow went through the ribs took out both lungs and the heart. Needless to say it was an amazing day and I am truly hooked on archery hunting

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM

Congrats Stew! Thanks for the story and the pics. I'm headed out for moose in 3 days and this just got my blood pumping.

cutthroat
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Congrats. My first big game bow kill was also a moose. Gets real exciting when you are that close to a bull moose.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM

excellent shot and congratulations!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Congrats on a freezer full of tasty organic meat. Looks like you made a great shot. Now you're hooked on archery for life! It's not such a bad thing to be addicted to.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Congrats on a freezer full of tasty organic meat. Looks like you made a great shot. Now you're hooked on archery for life! It's not such a bad thing to be addicted to.
Congrats man, looks like a beauty shot!!!!! Some tasty meat there.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Congrats Smokedstew! Great shot!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM

wow what a stud mulie!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

landscape

Ouch

sundown

sunup

trail

broken hearted

the deal

the gear

it's not about the horns
In real congrats man
Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post

Congrats on a great bull love them dark horned bulls
Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
Yesterday morning I had my first ever archery harvest. I headed out Saturday evening for the last few hours of shooting light hoping to find a new area for moose as everywhere I had scouted had bombed. I headed out of town to check on a tip from a buddy, I ended up taking the wrong road and pulled over to look at the map. As luck would have it there was a powerline across the road where I glassed up a cow and calf bedded. Off I went to check it out, I came in from a pipeline part way down and within a couple hundred yards bumped a different cow and yearling. Further along I found rubs and beds and fresh tracks everywhere, I bumped another cow in the dark on my way back to the truck. That night there was very little sleep as I lay waiting for morning. The next morning I walked into the start of the pipeline in the dark waiting for shooting light. As first light hit I was just getting to where I saw the first cow calf pair the night before when I heard a grunt, I quickly snuck into where I planned on setting up and started cow calling. Right away I could hear him start coming in I called a few more times back and forth. After a few minutes which felt like a lifetime he stepped out at 20yds and started to walk away from me. I drew back and gave a quick grunt as he stopped and turned slightly quartering away from me. I settled the pin and released, I could hear the arrow hit with a sound I keep hearing about online and he dropped a second later, got up and started to run I gave another cow call and he stopped and started to turn to look back just as he dropped and rolled legs up a couple kicks later he was done. He had made it less then 15 yds and I couldn't believe it had all happened so quick. I made a quick call to the wife to make her day as she loves moose and then the work started, what a chore dealing with a moose by yourself. The arrow went through the ribs took out both lungs and the heart. Needless to say it was an amazing day and I am truly hooked on archery hunting

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Congrats man next time need a hand give me a shout
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Default 2017 Archery Antelope

Was able to harvest my first Antelope. Used a decoy to get into 43 yards and seal the deal. He didn't come into the decoy, we stayed behind it and went in slow, took and hour and a half to make the 230 yards from where we first popped up over the hill. He was by himself and didn't seem threatened by the young buck working his way into visit.
Not sure why my picture keeps coming showing upside down. Will change it when I get on the computer. Tried flipping the picture and uploading again. Still upside down.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Hope this works for ya and great Lope.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 PM

My sons first bow elks.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM

Congrats to all of you sharp stick and string hunters! Fantastic stories and animals too. Thanks for posting and sharing

BW