Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Default shipping firearm..best way?

I find myself needing to ship a firearm to Ontario. I'm sure some of you guys have shipped within Canada. Do you use Canada Post or one of the delivery companies. Any tips would be appreciated
Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Canada post, box it and wrap it in plain brown paper, insure it and bob's you uncle

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:56 PM

X2 on Canada Post.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Thanks guys, also did a search on previous posts, good info
Old 12-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Always package it well with thin foam, also at the ends, as sometimes the barrel can poke through the end. Wrap with good tape at several points along the box and especially the ends. Large printed labels and return address on both sides, and one inside. If you choose to put a trigger lock on use one of those cheap plastic ones.
Sometimes I separate the action from the stock so as to put into a shorter box so it doesn't appear as a gun parcel. I always insure it fully as i am responsible if it goes missing. Get the tracking number and give it to the recipient so he can also track it himself.
It usually takes me at least an hour and a half to put together a package.
When it goes through Mississauga terminal it usually takes about 4 days to clear which can be frustrating.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Yup, package it well and ship via Canada Post. I've done a couple that way with no problems.

Oh, and always make sure to ship it to my address. PM me for details!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 PM

It should have some type of trigger lock on it as well, as per Canada Post policy. (if I remember correctly)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
It should have some type of trigger lock on it as well, as per Canada Post policy. (if I remember correctly)
By law It doesn't have to be trigger locked and Canada Post does not want the box labelled as a fire arm - I have heard that old wives tale as well.
I ship insured and with the guns taken down for smaller packaging and to prevent breakage .
Cat
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 PM

I ship guns in a $20 plastic gun case and then wrap and tape in heavy paper, no need to lock as not required, cheap way to go and not have to worry about the barrel poking through the paper, cheap insurance, have buyer pay half for the case if there is a problem, case's can be bought at Wallmart for that price, have seen them on sale for $15.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
By law It doesn't have to be trigger locked and Canada Post does not want the box labelled as a fire arm - I have heard that old wives tale as well.
I ship insured and with the guns taken down for smaller packaging and to prevent breakage .
Cat
Correct, only restricted need to be trigger locked, and locked case, to ship.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
I ship guns in a $20 plastic gun case and then wrap and tape in heavy paper, no need to lock as not required, cheap way to go and not have to worry about the barrel poking through the paper, cheap insurance, have buyer pay half for the case if there is a problem, case's can be bought at Wallmart for that price, have seen them on sale for $15.
There are no guarantees though, I did have a Pelican 1750 case end up with a barrel sticking through it when it was received!
The guns were super tightly wrapped as well.
Ten years ago I had a rifle show up in a plastic case with the stock broken at the wrist.
Cat
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12 PM

I don't know how my gun case's could end up with a barrel sticking through the end, first off they are are lined with egg crate foam and are heavy duty case's made by Plano, it would take a hell of lot of really bad handling in order for the gun to be damaged, unless the idiot's at Canada Post drive over all their freight with a fork lift, Just my thought's.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know how my gun case's could end up with a barrel sticking through the end, first off they are are lined with egg crate foam and are heavy duty case's made by Plano, it would take a hell of lot of really bad handling in order for the gun to be damaged, unless the idiot's at Canada Post drive over all their freight with a fork lift, Just my thought's.
Pelican is the Cadillac of gun cases and yes, the barrel was sticking out of the ruined cases which was also wrapped with cardboard to boot!
My guess is they must have dropped it off the truck.
Busting a stock in a $50 plastic case would be simple if it was in a pile and only supported on both ends then something else dropped inn the middle of it.
Cat
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57 PM

Cat, I can see that my cheap $20 case but is very hard to believe with a Pelican 1750, if they dropped it off a truck, it must have been 50' in the air or somebody was ****ed in that they didn't have a gun or a nice case like that, I looked at them for many yrs but could not and still can't to afford them, I'll remember not to have one if they are that poorly built. Have a good one.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Cat, I can see that my cheap $20 case but is very hard to believe with a Pelican 1750, if they dropped it off a truck, it must have been 50' in the air or somebody was ****ed in that they didn't have a gun or a nice case like that, I looked at them for many yrs but could not and still can't to afford them, I'll remember not to have one if they are that poorly built. Have a good one.
One wheel was broken as well,, like said ii think they dropped it on a van body truck!
They are still the Cadillac of cases IMO and I bought another.
Cat
Old 12-10-2019, 06:52 AM

Can you please confirm where you are seeing this regarding must be "trigger locked". I can not find that on the Canadian Firearms site stating this, unless restricted of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Correct, only restricted need to be trigger locked, and locked case, to ship.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Can you please confirm where you are seeing this regarding must be "trigger locked". I can not find that on the Canadian Firearms site stating this, unless restricted of course
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...-e.asp#1389620

Section 5.2
Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Perfect thank you. That is news to me, appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post