Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Slavia 618

Hey guys, I'm trying to fix a Slavia 618 for my brother. He wants it for a kid, his grandson I think.

It's missing the trigger guard and front guard screw and the piston is cracked.

I've spent two days searching the net for these parts and so far no luck.

Of course I checked all the usually places, ebay, amazon, Brownells and Guncorp. They had nothing I need.

I did find two places in the UK that had parts but not the ones I need.

Do any of you know where I could find a broken 618 or two for parts?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2019, 04:32 PM

Can't help with parts I am a little stunned they still exist I got one for my 8th birthday that was 55 years ago
Old 11-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I've worked on two this year. They must have been quiet popular in their time.

They are pretty well made for what they were meant for, but I guess that's not too surprising. After all, they were made by CZ.
No plastic parts on these guns.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Put an add in Town Post for a used one.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Default did u try

J+G airgun parts /USA or D+L airuns in BC
Actually I think a buddy may have a parts gun let me quiz him and get back 2 u . I believe a P1 Beeman /HW45 mainspring fits these after cutting a couple coils.If it's the 618 I'm thinking of?

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
J+G airgun parts /USA or D+L airuns in BC
Actually I think a buddy may have a parts gun let me quiz him and get back 2 u . I believe a P1 Beeman /HW45 mainspring fits these after cutting a couple coils.If it's the 618 I'm thinking of?
I checked J&G but had not found D&L airguns. I'll check them.

I don't need the spring, only the Piston. I listed the parts I need in the OP.

I know that there are a number of CV models that shared at least some of the parts, but mostly just the older ones from the 60s and seventies.

I looked at parts lists for several more recent models and none of the parts listed were anywhere close to what I need.

The only models that I know for sure share the same parts were the 618 and 624. Both are stamped Slavia.
There are cosmetic differances and a longer barrel plus the 624 had a lock screw on the pivit screw. One overlapping the other. As far as I can tell those were the only differances. The 624 appears to be an updated 618.
I fixed a 624 a few months ago and am working on this 618. The internal parts are identical.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Put an add in Town Post for a used one.
Done, and on local facebook buy and sell pages.
That was some time ago and nothing yet.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2019, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

There are probibly a few thousand of these layng in people's basments and garages most of which no longer work.
But I know that in such cases people often forget they have such things plus if they aren't looking in the pertenant buy sell sections they never see the adds.

I've been advertising for old broken down guns for a few years now and haven't made one contact as a result, but in that time I did have three guns given to me, and two of those even worked but needed a lot of TLC.

I have only had one gun given to me that I could not fix. Mostly because it was rust pitted too much. Some rust pits were close to 1/8 inch deep.

Too bad to, it''s a real cool Savage pump shotgun. It was manufactured with a Cutts compensator/variable choke combo on it.

Mechanically it works fine but the butt stock bolt hole was broken off and one side is horribly pitted, including the side of the chamber.

Story has it that a local GOB busted the stock off on his buddies head and then threw it in the bush where it lay for over twenty years. Till a friend of mine found it and brought it to me.

I have three shotguns and and 22 auto that were given to me that I was able to repair. Unfortunately two of those cost more in parts they they are worth.
I also have a sweet little .22 mag lever gun that I fixed, most of it anyway. It works but needs a magazine tube which has been out of stock for the sixteen years I've been looking.

That isn't counting the guns I've fixed for others. And it doesn't count the broken down guns I bought and fixed.

What can I say, I like fixing things! LOL

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 AM

I don't think these things are built to be repairable. Pistons dry out and you can oil them, but that's a temporary fix. Princess Auto has good deals on air rifles regularly, got my grandson one.

Grizz
Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Default parts

Pistons don't dry out as they are metal .The piston seal is leather and will dry out.They can be made easily or rejuvenated by standing the piston tube seal down in a disposable cup with a 1/2" of silicon Neat's Foot oil for a week. The seal will suck this up like a sponge and expand as good as new. Most of these are riveted on.Waste of time IMO to change piston and internal parts while not change to a new mainspring. A 50 year old 618/620 will be piddling along at 300fps compared to a $10 spring investment getting 425fps and good for another 1/4 century.Your mileage may vary.Lamenting over can't find parts when someone has offered you parts shows you weren't really listening in the first place.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I don't think these things are built to be repairable. Pistons dry out and you can oil them, but that's a temporary fix. Princess Auto has good deals on air rifles regularly, got my grandson one.

Grizz
Anything is repairable. I'll weld it if I have to. I've done that with other gun parts with good success.
But I'd rather put in a new part or replace it with a good used part if at all possible.

And yes I do heat treat the parts I weld up.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Pistons don't dry out as they are metal .The piston seal is leather and will dry out.They can be made easily or rejuvenated by standing the piston tube seal down in a disposable cup with a 1/2" of silicon Neat's Foot oil for a week. The seal will suck this up like a sponge and expand as good as new. Most of these are riveted on.Waste of time IMO to change piston and internal parts while not change to a new mainspring. A 50 year old 618/620 will be piddling along at 300fps compared to a $10 spring investment getting 425fps and good for another 1/4 century.Your mileage may vary.Lamenting over can't find parts when someone has offered you parts shows you weren't really listening in the first place.
I know what the pistons are made of. I have it on the work bench.
And I have instructions with pictures on how to make a replacement seal.

The parts offered are not what I need. I listed those part in my original post.

Replacing the main spring may be a good idea but I want to get it working first. Then I can chromy it and see where it's at.

The last one I worked on produced 387 fps average with it's old spring.

Maybe it's not me who isn't listening.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Anything is repairable. I'll weld it if I have to. I've done that with other gun parts with good success.
But I'd rather put in a new part or replace it with a good used part if at all possible.

And yes I do heat treat the parts I weld up.

I like your attitude. Newer piston seals are neoprene, I think. Air rifle diameter seems to be common, salvaged from another brand ?

Grizz
Old 11-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Default What an abrasive attitude.

Offer for free parts rescinded ..........................good luck.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

Grizz
No...definitely repairable. Check Pyramid Airgun Blog and search the 618...lots of info on rebuilding them. The Slavia (CZ) are the Remington 700 of the airgun world...quality pieces with lots of aftermarket tuneup kits available.
Way better than any of the junk Princess Auto sells.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
No...definitely repairable. Check Pyramid Airgun Blog and search the 618...lots of info on rebuilding them. The Slavia (CZ) are the Remington 700 of the airgun world...quality pieces with lots of aftermarket tuneup kits available.
You make me smile!

I actually thought they were cheep junk until I tried to repair one.
I had no idea they were made by CZ or that CZ was a branch of BRNO or was it the other way round.

The more I learn about them the more impressed I am.

Comparing them to a Remington 700 is appropriate I believe.

It's a small part of why I don't want to replace the main spring if I don't have to.
The more original it is the more it is worth. They may never be worth what a field grade LC Smith is worth but who knows, some day they might rival a 22 speedmaster in value.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I checked out that blog. Lots of intersting reading but so far I have found nothing that helps me with this gun.

Lots more to look at though.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
What an abrasive attitude.

No kidding.

Twice I politely informed you that your parts were not what I was asking for and you apparently did not get it.

Then you rudely accuse me of not paying attention and when I suggest that maybe it was you who wasn't paying attention you get in a huff.

Not very neighborly.

As for rescinding the offer, thanks anyway. At least you tried.
Too bad they weren't what I need.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
What an abrasive attitude.
Actually you didn't offer ANY parts.

What you offered was a couple of links which I acknowledged and I checked out.

Then you said you'd talk to someone about a possible parts gun
Quote:
Actually I think a buddy may have a parts gun let me quiz him and get back 2 u
You didn't even know if it was the same make,
Quote:
If it's the 618 I'm thinking of?
Then you suggested I replace a perfectly good mainspring with a butchered spring from a totally different gun.

That was all you ever offered in the way of parts.

In your next post you told me things I had not asked about because I already knew them.
Then you offered more opinion about that mainspring that I did not ask about and you ended that post by insulting me.

And you are offended that I replayed the way I did!

Wow! Just WOW!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2019, 12:26 PM

I just checked with the neighbour on a parts gun. I know he has a kid sized slavia and he said he'd take 20 for it. Let me go check the model. I know it shoots but when he cocks it and loads it will go off when he returns the barrel back into firing position. He doesn't have the front sight but the parts you are looking for are there.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
I just checked with the neighbour on a parts gun. I know he has a kid sized slavia and he said he'd take 20 for it. Let me go check the model. I know it shoots but when he cocks it and loads it will go off when he returns the barrel back into firing position. He doesn't have the front sight but the parts you are looking for are there.
If it's a Slavia 618, or 624 I would be glad to pay $20.00 for it working or not.
I'm not sure but even a 630 might have enough matching parts to be of interest. I'm checking into that now.

Thanks. Even if it turns out to be a newer model with no matching parts, the effort is appreciated.

It sounds to me like it may have a cracked piston, but pistons can be repaired
When the piston cracks it can cause the trigger to not engage the sear properly which leads to release on closing issues.
And it will have other parts I can use.

If it's a worn trigger that's an easy fix plus replacements are available from the UK supplier I found. And they also have the right springs in stock if I need one.

I have dealt with UK parts suppliers before and had no issues so I'm not concerned about that.
I'd have already ordered the parts I need if they had them, but trigger guards and screws do not wear out or go missing that often.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 PM

I'll go grab it from him tomorrow to look at it and will pay him later...he'll be cool with that. I'm almost positive it's a 618
Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
There are probibly a few thousand of these layng in people's basments and garages most of which no longer work.
But I know that in such cases people often forget they have such things plus if they aren't looking in the pertenant buy sell sections they never see the adds.

I've been advertising for old broken down guns for a few years now and haven't made one contact as a result, but in that time I did have three guns given to me, and two of those even worked but needed a lot of TLC.

I have only had one gun given to me that I could not fix. Mostly because it was rust pitted too much. Some rust pits were close to 1/8 inch deep.

Too bad to, it''s a real cool Savage pump shotgun. It was manufactured with a Cutts compensator/variable choke combo on it.

Mechanically it works fine but the butt stock bolt hole was broken off and one side is horribly pitted, including the side of the chamber.

Story has it that a local GOB busted the stock off on his buddies head and then threw it in the bush where it lay for over twenty years. Till a friend of mine found it and brought it to me.

I have three shotguns and and 22 auto that were given to me that I was able to repair. Unfortunately two of those cost more in parts they they are worth.
I also have a sweet little .22 mag lever gun that I fixed, most of it anyway. It works but needs a magazine tube which has been out of stock for the sixteen years I've been looking.

That isn't counting the guns I've fixed for others. And it doesn't count the broken down guns I bought and fixed.

What can I say, I like fixing things! LOL
What model is the 22 mag that needs a mag tube?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 AM

Default parts

I had talked to my buddy who is away for a week Peace River elk hunt about the parts Slavia 624 I picked up for him a year ago to fix his own childhood gun and he was willing to gift it to you because I asked him to. I did have parts.If you measure the mainspring you will find it very close to the commonly available HW45 as to be usable when shortened a couple coils and of course properly finishing up and squaring the cut end.Recommended repair for several old Slavias on airgun forums . The guide rod can be snugged up lubed and you have a new gun power wise.The Canadian Airgun Forum or Yellow Forum is a good source of what's interchangeable should one wish to actually learn something.No WOW here ..........no one appreciates condescending replies or being snapped at when they are only trying to help you.You assume much.Presently #2 on my ignore list.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
What model is the 22 mag that needs a mag tube?
It's a model 255 lever action.

It came to me missing the inner tube and with the trigger/lever housing broken.

I was able to get a new trigger housing but can't find any magazine inner tube parts. The outer tube is available but I have that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I like your attitude. Newer piston seals are neoprene, I think. Air rifle diameter seems to be common, salvaged from another brand ?

Grizz
I was checking my old parts invoices and find you are right. The newer seals are neoprene.

The 618 had a leather seal, the 624 had neoprene, aside from a few other minor differences the guns are identical. From what I read it appears that the 624 is an updated 618. The pistons are even interchangeable but the seals are not.
I read somewhere that even a 630 uses the same internal parts but nothing else is even close.
The stock, trigger, barrel and trigger guard are totally different.

I was working on this 618 yesterday and discovered that the rear half of the inside of the cylinder is badly scratched. It looks like someone tried to hone it with a 60 grit stone.

It does develop around 250 fps on the chorny with the old seals so I'm going to polish the inside with 400 and 600 grit paper and return it to service that way.
With new seals I should be able to get it up over 300fps which is more then enough for a kid this young.

Even the cracked piston isn't going to be an issue. It will work the way it is.
The crack is only on the rear ring that the cocking rod bears against.

All I really need to finish it is a trigger guard and I may be able to make do with one I have on hand from an old Cooey.
I can build the front screw if I have to.

But only if Rdamours gun doesn't have the parts I need.

If his friends gun is a 618 I may be able to change out the cylinder as well.

If not it should last long enough for the kid it's going to. When he outgrows this one I'll have another to pass down to him.
He is six now and this gun has a cut back stock so it'll be too short for him in a few years.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2019, 07:43 PM

He's home. I'm heading over to get it out of his garden shed with a flashlight.

I'll post back in 5

..It's a 618. Trigger housing and trigger are good. Front sight is there but rear sight is missing. Got it to pump and fire once. I can give it a drop of synthetic oil for springer guns to soften up the leather.

If someone in the Edmonton area can pm me that knows Keg then I can get it to you. I'll put it in my truck and can meetup at lunch any day. I'm all over Edmonton but will be downtown most days.

Last edited by Rdamours; 11-12-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
He's home. I'm heading over to get it out of his garden shed with a flashlight.

I'll post back in 5

..It's a 618. Trigger housing and trigger are good. Front sight is there but rear sight is missing. Got it to pump and fire once. I can give it a drop of synthetic oil for springer guns to soften up the leather.

If someone in the Edmonton area can pm me that knows Keg then I can get it to you. I'll put it in my truck and can meetup at lunch any day. I'm all over Edmonton but will be downtown most days.
Thank you Sir, that sounds perfect.

I plan on being in Edmonton late this week or some time next week.
I have a deposit on a truck down there but am waiting on the insurance payout.

If that doesn't work out, my son lives in the city, over near Winterburn.
He doesn't have a vehicle, so he can't pick it up but if you were to drop it off there he could hold it for me. I can etransfer him the money to pay for it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 PM

If he's around during the day I'm in the west end all day tomorrow so Winterburn is no problem. I'll also be there again next Wed and Thursday.

I could also meet you at the dealership too so no problem there as well. I'll PM you my cell phone so you can text anytime with your son's address or pass it onto your son as well. Don't worry about the money until we know if the parts work for you. Hopefully no one has messed with it so it should be factory and fix all the problems with the old gun.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Smile More information here.

Good morning,
The GTA forum: https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php , is a great place for air gun information. There are Hundreds of pages of discussions to search, and the members seem really helpful from my experience.

Rimfire Central also has an air gun forum page, and the members are super knowledgeable and helpful. Link : https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...?f=165:argue2:

I’d recommend both sites.

I see you may have gotten the parts needed, but these sites are great for all things Air Gun related.
Hope this helps and good luck, Slavias are awesome guns, IMO.
Ken