Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Smile Big Whitefish in the Bow

New to the area and still discovering this great fishery, I went for my first outing on Sunday and caught a decent (40cm, close to 1kg) Whitefish. I have to say that except for the run, the overall look of the fish reminded me of the Bonefish. I have spent the last 20 years of my life and I am learning here a new place and new techniques, but I have to say that so far, (except to Los Roques), Calgary and the Bow have a great fishery both in size and fish abundance.

One question? Are these whitefish any good as a food?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Caught on a size 4 Black/white closer minnow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160410_171603.jpg (27.2 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_171641.jpg (21.8 KB, 457 views)
Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 AM

the bow is awesome, don't let the secret out please. ha ha ha

as for if whitefish are good im sure there are people who do eat them, but I would not. try it and let us know !
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 AM

I caught a 26" whitefish a couple of years ago. He inhaled a #4 stonefly.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Damn! Sucks to live in Edmonton right now. Dead North Sask River and winter killed lakes. We have to hear about calgarians catching fat trout and big whitefish!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

That's a nice one yup. 3-4 years back I got into a few runs on the Sheep Creek in Cache. Multiple Rockies well over 20" that day. A few with teeth marks from the Bulls too!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Damn! Sucks to live in Edmonton right now. Dead North Sask River and winter killed lakes. We have to hear about calgarians catching fat trout and big whitefish!
I've had plenty of luck in the NSR so far this spring. Just last night I caught a few walleye and pike in about 3 hours. I'd love to check out the bow one of these days though.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Smile thanks for the answers and advice

Thanks for the answers and advice.

Caught it in the left leg of the run down by Carbon Park just before the East big bend.

Have a great day guys and Tight Lines

Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM

Talking Carburn not Carbon

Sorry I meant Carburn Park and not Carbon
Old 04-12-2016, 05:45 PM

Wink

Quote:
Sorry for that, pretty sure it warming up there as well too

Hang tight
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM

The weather has been nice! There just has been a sharp decline in fish numbers in the river over the past 2 years.

YeahDude..glad you found a good spot!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 PM

I have caught numerous big whitefish mostly on spinners and a couple of smaller rapala's. The bow and elbow have some big guys swimming around. I wouldn't activly seek out whites with spinning gear but it is always a nice surprise.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 PM

There are numerous people who I see fishing on the Bow who I would gather are keeping some of the White's. Personally I haven't kept a fish to consume in a dozen years if not quite a bit longer and those were Brookies on a camping trip and if I were looking to eat a fish it wouldn't be from the Bow anywhere. Anyone who fishes the Bow see's the "contamination" in the water well past the bioreactors and UV treatment sections in Bonnybrook and Fishcreek which I am sure do a fine job. If the effluent still has solid portions that make it well past Policemens it's enough to deter me from even suggesting someone consume something from it.

Sure there are several processes involved in treating all that wastewater but I just cannot get past how often I have had to clean off my hooks over the years. If someone says it's harmless and they want to eat them, that's totally up to them.

But yeah, there are some big White's in the Bow. They are well fed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 PM

That is a nice white

Congrats!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I've caught some big whites (3 or so lbs.) in the NSR from upstream of Devon downstream to Fort Saskatchewan. The whites like a little faster water. Try bottom bouncing a couple maggots,worm or a white fly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendofacatahoula View Post
There are numerous people who I see fishing on the Bow who I would gather are keeping some of the White's. Personally I haven't kept a fish to consume in a dozen years if not quite a bit longer and those were Brookies on a camping trip and if I were looking to eat a fish it wouldn't be from the Bow anywhere. Anyone who fishes the Bow see's the "contamination" in the water well past the bioreactors and UV treatment sections in Bonnybrook and Fishcreek which I am sure do a fine job. If the effluent still has solid portions that make it well past Policemens it's enough to deter me from even suggesting someone consume something from it.

Sure there are several processes involved in treating all that wastewater but I just cannot get past how often I have had to clean off my hooks over the years. If someone says it's harmless and they want to eat them, that's totally up to them.

But yeah, there are some big White's in the Bow. They are well fed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...Didymo...
Old 04-13-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonchucker View Post
...Didymo...

It's not the algae I have an issue with on my hook. Lol.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM

The water that comes out of the treatment plants is probably cleaner then the water coming in at the other end before it hits your house. It does however contain alot of nitrogen hence the weed growth south of the plants. This can be good and bad thing. Too many weeds = disolved oxygen issues. Regardless the white stuff is dydimo not toilet paper. Not to say there isn't any it just doesnt come from there. The garbage and plastic all over the banks and in the water is what stops me. After the flood water receded just below the glenmore bridge the bank had eroded and exposed what appered to be a construction dump site. Yuck....
Old 04-16-2016, 01:25 PM

Good thing I asked you guys about food quality. Thanks again for sharing all that information. ?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 PM

Recognize that the fish in the photos is a mountain whitefish, not a lake whitefish. As a food item the mountain whitefish have a reputation of being soft texture and boney like a goldeye but might be okay smoked.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 PM

I heard fish from Bow has high Mercury level tho...
Might not be safe for food.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Way down south maybe. But no such warning around Calgary that I have ever seen.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 PM

I've eaten hundreds of them. From the Old man river before the dam went in, the Waterton and all the creeks in the area. Good eating. Clean, scrape off the scales, roll in flower and fry. peal off the skin, use a fork to carefully take off the meat on the one side you took the skin off of, lift out the bones and enjoy.
Bjay