Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Default MAY 7th; Let your voice be heard!

Hey everyone:

We can bi*^% and complain all we like, but the gov't may respond a little more to our liking if we show up.

So I would encourage all of you to come out to the next Fisheries Round Table meeting. Whether its the aeration issue, OHV concerns, industry impact on habitat and subsequent losses, regulations, lobbying for more QSF, whatever your laundry list of concerns is, lets get out there and participate. A new government wanting to get re-elected just might have more open ears to the angling public.

Details:

Fisheries Round Table Meeting
May 7, 2016; 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Belmead Community Hall, 9109-182 St., Edmonton
Agenda In preparation

Link:

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...oundtable.aspx
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks for your post and suggestion. I will add this to my calendar. I hope to others from this forum there.

Barry ... Oh to be fishing!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM

The Roundtable is not quite a public meeting as nearly all the folks attending are executive representatives of various groups. These groups include Trout Unlimited (Central AB, Edmonton, and rarely Calgary), Edmonton Trout Club, Fish and Game, Walleye Council, etc. You must book a seat as lunch is provided. The agenda is set by the Policy Dept. of SRD. I emailed the Policy Branch manager and asked if the biologists will be in attendance. So far, no response.
If aeration is not on the agenda, it will not be discussed. I've attempted to get items added to the agenda several times w/o any response.

What you must remember is that the Roundtable has transitioned to a Policy meeting. The govt employees attending have little power to change much.
Examples would include the Perch Policy and the Quality Lake Fishery.

Write you MLA and the Minister. They generate the **** running down hill to fix or destroy things.

Don
Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Having attended from Calgary for the last 5 years.I and many other Trout enthusists tried many times to get & keep the pressure for more QSF Fisheries.If they did not want to talk about,it generally took a motion from the floor to get,the topic spoken too.We Calgarians tried to have the mtgs. take place in Red Der at least that was half way.It is there show.
I agree with Don,you might do better to letter write your MLA,OR Minister.We have to communicate with there bosses.Opening it up to the public ???.Understanding that we pay for a licence,there fore you should be able to speak about topics,of concern...I hope you fill the room!!!