Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Default ATV Tub Trailers

Our usual hunting camp has been becoming more and more difficult to get into with our trucks with the wet weather for the last couple years. We are considering alternatives for access without tearing up the trails. One thought is tub trailers. We only have smaller 500 quads. The tow weight is not a big issue, but the tongue weight is. With a walking beam setup, how much tongue weight do you actually have to deal with? It seems maybe not a lot, but with a single axle/pivot, maybe more than I think. Anyone have some experience they can share? We saw about 10 rigs with them heading out on the weekend, so they seem to be the answer.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM

4 wheels is always the best, for a ATV trailer
Old 09-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Tongue weight is strictly a function of how you load the trailer, whether it has 2 or 4 wheels. Four wheel will make it easier to keep a lighter tongue though but they also pull harder in soft going or over logs. I try to never have more than 150 lbs on the tongue, 100 is better for most quads. Less than 50 lbs is not good unless you have very little total weight in it. Load your heavy stuff at the axle or back from there. Put the lighter stuff ahead of the axle. You can feel the tongue weight pretty easy. Lift the tongue with one hand, if you can't, reduce the load or re-distribute the weight.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM

You don't need a lot of tongue weight but if you end up hauling a big animal in it you will get fairly heavy weight wether you like it or not. Advice from one who has been around these for more years than I can count. Get a 6 foot with a walking beam axle. With a single axle expect roll overs with all of your supplies in it. They work but not nearly as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
You don't need a lot of tongue weight but if you end up hauling a big animal in it you will get fairly heavy weight wether you like it or not. Advice from one who has been around these for more years than I can count. Get a 6 foot with a walking beam axle. With a single axle expect roll overs with all of your supplies in it. They work but not nearly as well.
The walking beam 4 wheeled trailers are WAY better than the 4 wheel solid axles, which is what I was referencing when I talked about 4 wheel ones pulling tougher. If that was an option, like you I too would take one of those over a two wheel trailer.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:38 PM

I just took a quick peek at a Marlon. I think it would work, but a bit small. I would have to rework our camping gear to make it all fit and forgo a few comfort items. Might have to go to the drawing board again.
Anyone know a manufacturer that sells direct?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM

where you located Nast 70 I have a tandem axle bergen in very good shape by Lloydminster if your interested.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I just took a quick peek at a Marlon. I think it would work, but a bit small. I would have to rework our camping gear to make it all fit and forgo a few comfort items. Might have to go to the drawing board again.
Anyone know a manufacturer that sells direct?
Depending on how rough the terrain is going in, you are better off with two trailers than one that is too large. Quads will pull a lot of weight but if it is muddy, swampy, lots of blow down then you start to run into issues pulling too big a trailer. If the going isn't all that bad and your highway trailer isn't too big/heavy you can just tow it as the second trailer.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
where you located Nast 70 I have a tandem axle bergen in very good shape by Lloydminster if your interested.
I'm in E-Town. Appreciate the offer, but a bit far to go. Good luck if you do advertise to sell it!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM

We used a little utilty trailer and it worked great, same trailer that the truck pulled the atv on the roads with!

The tub trailers are nice. If they used a torsion axle, that would be ideal!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:49 PM

I have a steel and a marlon aluminum trailers, both are walking beam double wheels
I used a single wheel at start but, kept flipping them over on side hill stuff and rough terrain,
What ever you get make sure it is walking beam , if you intend to use it in rough country they are very stable
I made lids for mine from an old deep freeze that was no good, I can tie stuff on top that won’t fit inside , like some of my tent pole, I take the lid off the steel one and when we get a moose we load it the trailer and haul it back to camp to finish dressing it out,
On the aluminum one I put hinges off the deep freeze on one side to help lift it up
Works okay for me. This is the steel one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 614183B3-3265-4D2D-B904-764B841454A1.jpg (20.2 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg E9911C5B-40E4-4FE1-AA39-F90CCFF810F8.jpg (22.9 KB, 259 views)
Old 10-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Dean said it best. How you load it pretty much controls tongue weight. 500 cc plenty of machine to haul it given decent conditions. There will be a tendency to overload the trailer so manage the weight carefully. A removable lid, whether factory or homemade, is the way to go. Loading game is easy peasy. The only downside is the initial cost of buying the tool that you may only use for one week a year. Have more parties. Fill with beer and top trailer up with ice. Biggest cooler I own.
Can’t load photo (frustrating)

Last edited by Moo Snukkle; 10-01-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Check out paddle plastics out of Mayerthorpe. That's where we bought our tub trailer and have been very happy with it.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Default tub trailer

Guys, always look at trailer design, must be walking beam, very heavy duty. Pulling trailer over rough terrain/logs etc with 1000 lb load or moose will break apart most trailers. We have no plastic or aluminum on our trailers, all steel and wood.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Not the solution you want to hear, but a superior trailer. trouble is you have to build it yourself as there are no manufacturers around building it.

Tub trailers have about 8 inches of ground clearance because of the axles. Then if they are long the front or back or both hang up on humps and mud holes.

The hitch is straight off the trailer to the quad and that is another hooking point.

About 20 years ago I welded up a goose neck, drop axle tub trailer. It has hauled out 18 moose, bears, and too many deer, so far.

Only issue was when my brother hit a stump with a tire at a good speed with a whole moose on. The axle bent a little but it still rolled about 10 km to camp.

It uses solid axle stubs that you can get at Princess Auto. From the stub it goes vertical past tire height and that is where the cross beam goes horizontal to the other drop axle. It can straddle the same stumps that the Quad can, and not hang up on the trailer body or the hitch (that is why the goose neck is critical).

The deck is wider than the tire width so it can actually hold quite a bit of gear, or moose, or firewood.

The box is about quad rack height, and it tracks wider than the quad so it does not sit in the same rut as the quad tires and is not tippy.

The key is heavy gauge tube and lots of gusetting on joints in all directions, and from the axle forward to the frame.

This year I pounded on a set of bearing buddies on the hubs. Why it took 20
years to get around to it I don't know.

Anyways, a project for next year if you want a good tub trailer. What is sold commercially does not even compare, walking beam or not.

Drewski
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM

I know I would love to have a 4 wheeled walking beam axle tub type trailer too. Based on the reviews I have found, these guys trailer looks pretty good. http://www.muts.ca/

I don't know shipping price, but I know when I am ready to buy they will be at the top of the list for final investigation.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Yes the MUTS looks nice, but it is no different than a marathon other than a tub trailer.

If you doubt me on how easy it is to stall out when a tub hangs up on a heather hump in a skeg, you won't after it happens to you.

IF this was a drop axle walking beam, don't you think you would have ground clearance on the tub??

but again, I digress.

Drewski
Old 10-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyk View Post
I know I would love to have a 4 wheeled walking beam axle tub type trailer too. Based on the reviews I have found, these guys trailer looks pretty good. http://www.muts.ca/

I don't know shipping price, but I know when I am ready to buy they will be at the top of the list for final investigation.
Muts works good. Hook moose up and roll him in. Head first, then rehook around body. Rear gate comes off, trailer, and place as a ramp, to pull moose head, then body up into trailer. Works great. One my buddy’s has one (Lund17), and we have loading, cleaning, travel (10 km), back to camp, skinning to < 4 hours. Beers 🍺 included.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Not the solution you want to hear, but a superior trailer. trouble is you have to build it yourself as there are no manufacturers around building it.

Tub trailers have about 8 inches of ground clearance because of the axles. Then if they are long the front or back or both hang up on humps and mud holes.

The hitch is straight off the trailer to the quad and that is another hooking point.

About 20 years ago I welded up a goose neck, drop axle tub trailer. It has hauled out 18 moose, bears, and too many deer, so far.

Only issue was when my brother hit a stump with a tire at a good speed with a whole moose on. The axle bent a little but it still rolled about 10 km to camp.

It uses solid axle stubs that you can get at Princess Auto. From the stub it goes vertical past tire height and that is where the cross beam goes horizontal to the other drop axle. It can straddle the same stumps that the Quad can, and not hang up on the trailer body or the hitch (that is why the goose neck is critical).

The deck is wider than the tire width so it can actually hold quite a bit of gear, or moose, or firewood.

The box is about quad rack height, and it tracks wider than the quad so it does not sit in the same rut as the quad tires and is not tippy.

The key is heavy gauge tube and lots of gusetting on joints in all directions, and from the axle forward to the frame.

This year I pounded on a set of bearing buddies on the hubs. Why it took 20
years to get around to it I don't know.

Anyways, a project for next year if you want a good tub trailer. What is sold commercially does not even compare, walking beam or not.

Drewski
All of what you say is entirely accurate, the problem is 98% of us are stuck with what we can buy commercially. Most have either no time, right skills or interest in building their own. You should go into fabricating them, there might be some real good money in it, or see if someone is interested in adopting a bunch of your improvements.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM

I have a MUTS trailer like my friend said and it is great. It has been very durable and has worked great for hunting. A person can load a moose by themselves and haul it back to camp if needed. I got the log skidder kit which has been handy around the lake lot for fire wood and hauling dirt/rocks is easy to unload with the winch. I only have a 450 Kodiak ATV and it tows it with no problems.

It was not cheap and the shipping cost ($550) hurt a bit at first.

If you got the time and skills than make one. It will be satisfying experience and you will get exactly what you want but you will not save that much money. Last winter when we were slow in the shop, I sat down and priced it out to make a couple trailers with walking beams just for general farm use. Nothing fancy and pretty basic. Tires/Rims/Axles and the steel put me almost at the price of a new one.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
All of what you say is entirely accurate, the problem is 98% of us are stuck with what we can buy commercially. Most have either no time, right skills or interest in building their own. You should go into fabricating them, there might be some real good money in it, or see if someone is interested in adopting a bunch of your improvements.
Dean,

Its better that I NOT look at what my various design adventures have cost me. But on the flip side, its alot of fun to sit down and figure out the improvements.

Having a Brother who is a Mechanical Engineer, and at least as crazy as myself, helps.

But as I say, the commercial designs leave alot of room for improvement.

Real Life experience is also a great motivator for making something better than what is available.

Ever tow a tub trailer over a log bridge with a moose on and your machine is a '94 300 CC Suzuki King Quad? Now that is motivation to learn how to improve a quad trailer AND how to build a better log bridge.

I know I have a Guardian Angel.

Drewski
Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 PM

I got a tub trailer from Costco. Plastic . it didnt have that much ground clearance so i cut he axle hubs off the frame and raised it 3" with square tubing and also beefed it up a bit . I added bracing going forward and up at an angle that acts like a ramp when hitting deep ruts and logs ect . it pulls over everything just fine .
Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 AM

I bought a 6’ heavy duty plastic tub a few years ago its been great
But this winter its getting turned into a tandem.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Yes the MUTS looks nice, but it is no different than a marathon other than a tub trailer.

If you doubt me on how easy it is to stall out when a tub hangs up on a heather hump in a skeg, you won't after it happens to you.

IF this was a drop axle walking beam, don't you think you would have ground clearance on the tub??

but again, I digress.

Drewski
Good question. To be honest, I haven't done enough research to know how much ground clearance a tub trailer should have. How much does the one you built have? Muts advertises a 14" ground clearance. Seems like a lot to me, but agree that off in the muskeg that would vanish pretty quickly!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyk View Post
Good question. To be honest, I haven't done enough research to know how much ground clearance a tub trailer should have. How much does the one you built have? Muts advertises a 14" ground clearance. Seems like a lot to me, but agree that off in the muskeg that would vanish pretty quickly!
Here is Muts trailer in action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C8D5ABB-0C77-4B76-BEE1-E68E6F44F93C.jpg (35.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 01536B78-FEF7-40D2-9975-A8C68BC62984.jpg (35.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 PM

I have two tandem axle walking beam plastic tub trailers from Paddle Plastics. They have carried many animals along with gear, have been beat to the ground and bounced off a couple thousand tree also hauled a couple thousand trees for tent fire box. Originally not a fan but after using them and with zero issues, these trailers are near bullet proof!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Here is Muts trailer in action.
Looks pretty cool

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-04-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Our usual hunting camp has been becoming more and more difficult to get into with our trucks with the wet weather for the last couple years. We are considering alternatives for access without tearing up the trails. One thought is tub trailers. We only have smaller 500 quads. The tow weight is not a big issue, but the tongue weight is. With a walking beam setup, how much tongue weight do you actually have to deal with? It seems maybe not a lot, but with a single axle/pivot, maybe more than I think. Anyone have some experience they can share? We saw about 10 rigs with them heading out on the weekend, so they seem to be the answer.
What type of hitch setup do you have on the atv’s ? If you can show a picture . Tongue weight won’t be an issue with proper weight distribution like people mentioned but my older grizzly came with pretty crappy hitch design that was really weak. The dealer was upfront about it right away and told me how to fix it at the time. I believe the newer ones now come with a nice receiver. Your quad will pull one just fine though so it shouldn’t be an issue. There is a Facebook group I’m on and it’s pretty well known that the marathon trailers are pretty weak and have many axle problems for going up north of fort McMurray but my guess is that people are just going to fast with them. Here’s a picture of the one my dad built for me with the help of are neighbor years back. They made about 4 I think at the time all at once and it’s been going strong since 2005.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Both our quads have 2" receivers. Can't imagine one without one now!
I'm planning a trip in later this month and fill my cow tag (first cow draw! Don't want to waste it!). I think i'll just be transferring my gear into the quad trailer and haul that in. At least the quad has a winch if needed. I will miss the safe, dry, secure place for my food the truck canopy offers. I will figure something out for that.

My dad has a couple Honda quads he's thinking of selling. We will try to convince him to flip them into a pair of tub trailers.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Both our quads have 2" receivers. Can't imagine one without one now!
I'm planning a trip in later this month and fill my cow tag (first cow draw! Don't want to waste it!). I think i'll just be transferring my gear into the quad trailer and haul that in. At least the quad has a winch if needed. I will miss the safe, dry, secure place for my food the truck canopy offers. I will figure something out for that.

My dad has a couple Honda quads he's thinking of selling. We will try to convince him to flip them into a pair of tub trailers.
You might not have to unpack. We hunted near Slave lake. Everyday we saw many different Cows (4-6) no calves. Few bulls. After glassing the cows. The ticks were present in a few cows.