Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Default McGregor ice

Planning on heading out to McGregor on Friday lunchtime but it's been a loooong time since I've been down there. Anyone have any recent ice conditions they can share? Was planning on testing the shallows at the north dam but I'd like to hear opinions whether the south or north dam fishes better. Any directions on how to get to either dam would be helpful too. The detail on google maps isn't great in that area.

I'll be targetting whites and maybe some burbs late afternoon. If anyone is down there too, come by and say hi. We'll be the ones sitting VERY close to shore as I assume the ice is still thin down there .

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 AM

Ice was sketchy last weekend...a guy went through up to his waist on the north dam. I'd imagine with the good cold weather over the week here that it would be better, but I'd make sure you're prepared for bad ice conditions if you're going (ie: lifejacket, rope, etc).
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 AM

the south is just off the road from the Travers spillway I believe. the roads are barricaded, and posted now. you would have to walk quite a ways to get up there if you went. I was looking at it on Sunday

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM

its a shame the access to the south dam is now blocked. we used to do really wll there for hammer handle pike (40-50 a day between 2 of us) and if you were lucky a walleye and a ling would get thrown in as well. the only good thing about it is that it forces you to find other areas that you may not have looked into previously. enjoy

M