Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Fishing in Montana?

Anyone spend any time down that way? We were thinking of doing some camping this summer and was wondering of some places to go or places to avoid. Lake and streams are both of interest.

I hear Duck Lake is on the reserve lands but a permit can be purchased? What about the others in that vicinity? Species about the same as here?

TIA
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Not sure if it is to far, but I enjoy going to Ft. Peck area. If you have your own boat there is great fishing for a variety of fish, and a nice river below the dam with great fishing as well. it has a couple of nice campgrounds that aren't usually to busy. It is kinda in the middle of nowhere, so ya got to like peace and quiet. Just a thought you can look into.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM

LIBBY DAM. We do a trip every year for monster gerrards and bulls. Its a must for any hardcore rainbow angler. also can keep i think 25 or so kookanee salmon. Last trip we caught 50+ kookanee in the 8-10inch range during our down time in the afternoon when the bite is slow. You can also hit up the small creeks nearby for brooktrout and redband trout.
And that bull my bro is holding at the bottom is SMALL, to what we saw swimming just below our feet. Last time out i seen a TANK swim right by, i almost %&^* myself. lol.
and this can all be done from shore.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM

holy smokes batman! you guys are geeks to fishing! monsters! yup op, go there!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Smile

Seeley Lake area has some nice lakes and rivers around it.

The Columbia Falls area is always a great place to go. Talk to the guys at Arden's Fly Shop in Columbia Falls. They are always helpful.

WOW FG those are some hawgs.

Rob
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Hey Billie,

Duck Lake has been pretty good lately from what I hear. There are a number of other lakes on the Blackfeet Res. that have amazing fishing as well. License is $60 (may be $65 now). Not sure about what is available for camping nearby.

Biggest problem with these lakes is the same problem with SA lakes - the wind!

Looking at those pics of Fishingeek's are making me think a trip further west may be in order!!! When was that? June?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Hey Billie,
Looking at those pics of Fishingeek's are making me think a trip further west may be in order!!! When was that? June?
These rainbows were caught in early august and late sept. You need to check the waterflows for the system and make shure they arent spilling a ton of water below the dam.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
These rainbows were caught in early august and late sept. You need to check the waterflows for the system and make shure they arent spilling a ton of water below the dam.
tip's from the man with the record rainbow how cool is this form.nice lunker's in the pic's FG.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Geez FG, those would flip my little boat. Beautiful fish. Kind of you to offer the info. I won't ask any specific questions and will do my own experimenting but it is good to know what's available to be caught, tks.

I was just browsing around and the Duck Lake area is just 3-4 hours so I was curious. Much further and its too much for a weekend. It looks pretty vacant around there and was wondering if it caught much traffic, how much camping there is and what the fishing is like. It all looks a bit like the Kootenay region but maybe a bit more open? My trips to Kalispell many years ago were in less than 'clear' conditions so I don't remember much but the trees.

I expect we will be doing a bit of exploring next summer.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Duck Lake has a reputation for big rainbow but it ain't the lake it used to be. There is a campground at the lake but it is primitive. There is a KOA at East Glacier about 45 minutes away and another on the highway run by the natives just before the lake. That is where you pick up your license.

duck has been a favorite for so. albertans for years, most likely more guys from Lethbridge fish it than do montana.

Good fishing but not the biggies that it used to hold. That being said it is still one of my favorite lakes.

GOOD LUCK
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Geez FG, those would flip my little boat. Beautiful fish. Kind of you to offer the info. I won't ask any specific questions and will do my own experimenting but it is good to know what's available to be caught, tks.

I was just browsing around and the Duck Lake area is just 3-4 hours so I was curious. Much further and its too much for a weekend. It looks pretty vacant around there and was wondering if it caught much traffic, how much camping there is and what the fishing is like. It all looks a bit like the Kootenay region but maybe a bit more open? My trips to Kalispell many years ago were in less than 'clear' conditions so I don't remember much but the trees.

I expect we will be doing a bit of exploring next summer.
There is a spot to tent right at the dam. or further downstream if you like, its right in the mountains and is a beauitful place, just that there is a MONSTEROUS dam where you are fishing. Fishing can be hit and miss there, this year our first 4 hrs of fishing was the best, we hooked 10fish and lost our monster of the trip, snapped me off, then insisted in jumping straight out of the water 5 times with my hook dangling from his mouth. lmao. was probably in the 20lb mark, like the other 2 we caught in the prev trips. I felt like such a nube. lol. then the fish turned off the next day and fishing was tough. we managed to get our 3 fish over 24inch thou. The rainbow taste great out there as they eat the salmon.
There is a bit of traffic, so we usually start fishing early to get a good spot on the bank, like any fishing goes, it takes some time to figure out the system, but when you do, it can be easy. Bait is allowed so whatever you like catching bows with will work.
I gotta go, if you like any more info you can pm me and ill tell you some secrets about the place. lol.