Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Lindy rigging line?

I just had a discussion tonight with my buddy and we were talking about lindy rigging lines.

What does everyone use and why do you use that over another line?

I have been using fireline crystal for my rigging rods and I think he was to but has noticed that when rigging the last few years he has noticed his production to be not as good as in years past. He said he was using mono before that and got to thinking about it and said it seems like since he switched to fireline he noticed the decrease in fish.

He has switched back to mono this year and I am kind of thinking about going to pick up some mono for my extra spools to see if it does make a difference. Do you think it would make a difference or should I even bother switching it up? I have used fireline or braid since I started rigging so I don't know what kind of difference would be made.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 PM

i used the new suffix this week end....was it better than the Fireline i used last year?.......hmmmmm, not sure.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM

I think I may just fill a couple spare spools with some trilene XL 8lbs and try it out sometime. Maybe set the 2 rods up the same but have one with the mono and the other with fireline and see what happens. Can't do any harm and if one really outfishes the other I can switch the other rod pretty quick and get both people into the eyes at the same rate.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Talking

when rainbow fishing ,i get way more bites when using 6 pound test
Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM

i find stick choice is way more critical than line choice for rigging
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 PM

The rigging rods I have are 2 7' diawa heartland walleye series rods and I also could run 2 7' berkley cherry wood rods. The cherry woods are alot lighter and probably more sensitive.

Out of those rods which would you recommend using?

I don't have any fancy rods and have always used low end generic set ups so I don't really know what the difference is between high end and low end rods.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The rigging rods I have are 2 7' diawa heartland walleye series rods and I also could run 2 7' berkley cherry wood rods. The cherry woods are alot lighter and probably more sensitive.

Out of those rods which would you recommend using?

I don't have any fancy rods and have always used low end generic set ups so I don't really know what the difference is between high end and low end rods.
sorry Nate not familiar with either of those rods.
i prefer rod with little flex in 2/3 of the butt section and moderate to moderate high flex in the tip section.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM

That is about how my heartland rods would be and I happen to have rigged up already. I will keep using them and rig up the extra spools for the reels with that mono and see what kind of difference I find while prefishing chin this week before the tourney.

I have the cherrywoods rigged up with slip bobbers and will just keep them that way also.

Thanks for the advise Darter and I will keep you updated on what I find out about the fireline and mono differences.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
That is about how my heartland rods would be and I happen to have rigged up already. I will keep using them and rig up the extra spools for the reels with that mono and see what kind of difference I find while prefishing chin this week before the tourney.

I have the cherrywoods rigged up with slip bobbers and will just keep them that way also.

Thanks for the advise Darter and I will keep you updated on what I find out about the fireline and mono differences.

good chance i'll see you at the prefish....if i dont good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM

Sounds good. I will be out in an older dark sparkly 619 Range with an opti on the back. Look for the skinny guy that is all bundled up and the only parts of skin showing will hurt your eyes from being so white. That will be my partner.

I went out and bought some trilene sensation today and spooled it up onto my spare spools. I then tied up both rigging rods exactly the same except one has the sensation and the other has fireline. I asked bob if we could fish both my rods for a bit during prefishing to see how much of a difference there is or if there is any difference at all.

I will be in the group campground with my black gmc quad cab and the older white camper on the back if you don't see us on the water but want to stop by for a visit and to chat about the fishing.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

I am interested to see the results of your little experiment nate. keep us posted.