Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Elk hunting Along Berland River!!

Hi. I am new to this forum. Just curious if anyone has had good luck hunting for elk along the Berland River. Thanks SWR
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Berland Elk

Which portion of the Berland up of Hyw 40 or Down?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 PM
s_buffalo

Depending on when you go, and hunting pressure... I've even seen a herd here (in mid-October).

As far as my luck in hunting them there goes... Well...

I am planning on hunting the Berland East of the highway either this year or next, depends on how much time I have and who I'll be hunting with.

Happy hunting!
Stinky B.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskytype View Post
Which portion of the Berland up of Hyw 40 or Down?
I am going to run up the Berland from the AthaB River. Thanks SWR
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Berland area

Over the years I worked on a few projects in that area-if its SW of Fox Creek where the Berland meets the Athabasca. Lots of road hunters with the easy access due to lease and loggin roads, but if you go up river by boat or get far enough back, should be good for elk, moose, bear. Seen elk all the time.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Berland River

Ice Fishing Maniac is correct about the road hunters. The junction of the Athabasca and the Berland is a great spot but you will need to be in early. Most people stay at or along the road that crosses the Berland and then they Quad or Horse back towards the junction. I have seen good numbers all over the area and across the river towards Hinton. The whitetails can be large also but you need to be off of the roads. I generally strap on the back pack and head out for the day with my maps. On the opening day it will be a mad house but a good bugle will bring awsome excitment.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM

take @@@ from anc, follow till you cross the ......., drive up the............., .........................................!

When you get to the ......................., turn ...... climb hill. When the road exposes a small lease site at a bend in the road, stop. in the corner directly behind you ( to the ........from the lease) there is a small trail. if you take this, you will cross over a very clean clover filled cutline, not visable by the road from any where...This cutline parells the road east from this point, and continues south from where you are. If you travel about 300 yrds down this cutline, on the left there will be a small medow on your right. if you follow all the way ..........you will run into a line that runs ...........

Anywhere on that line heading south, is a great place to call elk. People say the elk don't call in or around fox creek...true,,,but not true here. Once you are on the proper line, the Berland is 3-500 yrds....... and you are about 4-700yrds from any well traveled road.

Keep your calls small, there are a lot os smaller 4x4 and 5x5 bulls. And I have seen only three bulls bigger. I get an Elk out of this area every year. But have since found an even better spot two years ago, and havn't hunted this area since. But have drivin in and the elk sign is still there.

PM me for better directions...afterall this is a public board. And I have dotted................the important directions out........

CH

Last edited by Coldhill; 09-05-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I was being silly and gave away too much imfo...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM

ill be at the bridge 16-23 of sept...no elk there!!!
dont be givin the spots up like that...
rob
Old 08-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
ill be at the bridge 16-23 of sept...no elk there!!!
dont be givin the spots up like that...
rob
any chance your looking for some hunting buddies? be my first time hunting that area aswell, and just happens my friend and i are gonna be the sept. 16-22. Im more interwested in getting a moose with my bow, however if it be awesome to learn the ropes of elk hunting.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck1 View Post
any chance your looking for some hunting buddies? be my first time hunting that area aswell, and just happens my friend and i are gonna be the sept. 16-22. Im more interwested in getting a moose with my bow, however if it be awesome to learn the ropes of elk hunting.
i think he's probably back by now unless it was a 9 year long trip
Old 08-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i think he's probably back by now unless it was a 9 year long trip
oops haha didnt look at the date posted. wow they dont delete old threads eh?
Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 PM

Funny
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Funny
Yup, no disrespect BB1 but just may be one of the longer resurrected threads in a while on AO. Hope you find your moose