Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Sheep hunting (Last Minute Questions)

Hi Everyone,
I'm 2 weeks away from departing on my NWT hunt for sheep/moose. I need a few last minute items that I'm not sure about.

1. What kind of towel should I be taking? ultra-light specialty backpacking towels(small and compressible), or is the micro fiber ones that you use for drying cars good enough?

2. Is taking baby wipes to wipe down a little each day worth it?

3. Does everyone carry a small metal cup?

4. I assume a leatherman multi-tool is must have? I've heard comments both in favour and against.

I think I have the rest of my stuff sorted out, but if there is anything else that seems minor, but is a must have please feel free to share. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail77 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm 2 weeks away from departing on my NWT hunt for sheep/moose. I need a few last minute items that I'm not sure about.

1. What kind of towel should I be taking? ultra-light specialty backpacking towels(small and compressible), or is the micro fiber ones that you use for drying cars good enough?

4. I assume a leatherman multi-tool is must have? I've heard comments both in favour and against.

I think I have the rest of my stuff sorted out, but if there is anything else that seems minor, but is a must have please feel free to share. Thanks in advance.
1. yes it'll work. the most use i have had for my towels is drying out boots
2. it feels pretty good
3. i have a collapsible plastic cup and i bring tea bags and instant coffee with me
4. i love mine. to make it lighter i removed the useless tools and just have the saw, screwdriver, etc (whatever you think you'll need)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail77 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I wouldn't bring any of it except the cup....use a piece of dirty clothing as a towel. Baby wipes stink, dry out and freeze. Hope your guide brings a leatherman.

Last edited by drake; 08-22-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM

Who are you going with?

All of these questions also depend on the type of hunt you will be having. Some hunts stage you from a horse, boat or cabin so you can bring a few extras and then spike out from there. If you are going on a full backpack hunt where you expect to be gone for 10 days then you want to minimize everything and worry about how bad you smell when you get on the plane to come home.

I don't bring a leatherman, find very little use for most of the items. Any towel or piece of clothing will work.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM

Thanks Everyone,
I'm going with Arctic Red River Outfitters. 21 day backpack hunt. Get dropped off by a cub and meet my new best friend for the next 21 days. No cabin, no horses, just a tent in my pack and everything else that I need.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM

Call the outfit and double check the weather. If "unusually" hot, cold, wet adjust accordingly.