Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
You may suspect meaning you are not sure....

I am not mistaken... You used this forum (which is also social media) in the past to try an affect outcomes in a few other game management and harvest tool application to further your own unclear agenda.

I just find it ironic that now you question the use of social media to determine wildlife harvesting laws....with disdain.... which is I think the very definition of hypocritical
Time to prove you either mistaken or....

The ABA did NOT seek to define legal weapons, the ABA proposed to AGMAG to BAN Spears and Atlatls.

I called them out publicly on the proposal after the president made it clear that he was going through with the proposal to ban these tools.

I helped obtain standing for the Alberta Primitive Weapons Society to attend the AGMAG meeting where the ABA proposal was discussed.

The Primitive Weapon Society gained the support of the AFGA, WSFAb, APOS, DWF, WEF, HFT and TWS to accept consideration for defining a legal spear and atlatl dart. The ABA withheld support until consulting their membership. SCI, AAMDC and ABP abstained.

The Alberta Primitive Weapon Society submitted a proposal with supporting evidence to define and regulate a legal spear/atlatl dart for hunting big game.

Since then, with the change in government and the dissolution of AGMAG this proposal has been left in limbo....

So, were you mistaken, or....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

So far, all that has turned out to be a waste of time given where this is headed.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
So far, all that has turned out to be a waste of time given where this is headed.
I would likely agree, considering the fact that somehow the lowest common denominators always for some reasoning seem to be in control positions. Very apparently this situation falls into that norm. Afew reasons for this, everyone with a brain is pretty clear on the hows and whys

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I disagree.

This has roused awareness of the situation, many people are writing in with their concerns, and stakeholder executives are paying attention.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Banned

Maybe spear awareness is something that should have been better kept to yourselves?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Mark Boyce, an executive with SCI Alberta, presumably speaking independently.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nter-1.3723937"Boyce, a hunter himself, said he supports the government moving to ban spear hunting.
"I think that it sounds questionable. Any hunting ethics issues where it's going to give hunting a bad name, or make hunting look bad, strikes me as being the sort of thing we should ban.""
Do these guys think before speaking?
There we have it. According to a couple of guys that are at the highest levels of consulting on behalf of Alberta hunters, hunting regulations are now to be determined by social media.
You nailed it there and everyone is more concerned about what Cam Hanes says about UAHunt. The sad truth is while everyone is burning their UAhunt and worried about some USA sponsored couple and what a USA mainstream company does with it's money we are fighting an uphill battle in AB over our hunting. When the AFGA president and AO writer Mark Boyce come out and support banning spears and neither their organization or company seems to respond we are in trouble. AB hunters seems more concerned about boycotting UAhunt than boycotting or questioning the groups or companies that affect us right here in AB. Sadly while everyone waits to see what the next big US name says about UAhunt we have heard nothing publicly from our AB industry reps on the matter going on here in AB.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM

I would hope that the various hunting show hosts take some responsibility (and the lead) regarding the video issue. It is, after all (in my very humble opinion) their shows which are laying the groundwork and influencing these younger, social media addicted hunters. Showing the recently killed animal (any animal) respect should be paramount.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is how I see the situation personally,

There's two parts to this...
The legalities, legal hunt with a legal weapon. That's black and white.

The portrayal, what the video captured and portrayed and the fact that their should have been some skillful editing selecting the appropriate footage and this whole thing could have been presented much differently...or perhaps not presented to the general public at all.

Any Hunter knows what can and will happen...not every animal dies immediately and with "primitive" means, wound channel and blood loss is by and large what allows us to be successful.

Do we really need to show the world that aspect? We should focus on the other areas of the hunt and portray things differently IMHO. The way this hunt was portrayed and delivered to the masses should be a tutorial in what NOT to do, regardless of the legality issue IMHO.

LC
Well said Lefty.

Watching some of the programs on Wild TV, the hunt is portrayed ethically, and the hunter has respect for the animal he/she has harvested. Others - which I only watch ONCE - portray us in a not so positive light. I have not seen the spear hunting video, nor do I care to.

When I lived in Alberta, I was a member of the AFGA. I did not agree with all of their policies and decisions, but I never walked away. I stepped up and took a leadership position in my club. I made my position known, and did what I could to make my concerns known to AFGA executive. As others have said, there always seemed to be few who would step up and take a leadership position, leaving the same few to continue on in executive positions. Without new people stepping up and bringing forth their ideas, status quo remains. If we want change we have to be part of the solution.

I am not sure how to resolve the spear hunting issue, but I do know that unless we stand together, we will eventually lose the opportunity to hunt, fish, and participate in other outdoor pursuits we are passionate about.

Mr Conservation
Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Well said Lefty.

When I lived in Alberta, I was a member of the AFGA. I did not agree with all of their policies and decisions, but I never walked away. I stepped up and took a leadership position in my club. I made my position known, and did what I could to make my concerns known to AFGA executive. As others have said, there always seemed to be few who would step up and take a leadership position, leaving the same few to continue on in executive positions. Without new people stepping up and bringing forth their ideas, status quo remains. If we want change we have to be part of the solution.
Agreed run for a position on the AFGA board get elected and make change, quitting a club is easy but sometimes there are things that are the way they are for reasons the average member doesn't see or understand. I do think most clubs/organizations do need to work on their communication with the general membership though.

If AFGA really has soured you I suggest joining another club. Which ever one you choose to join just make sure you join and let yourself be counted as a hunter of this province. I use to be an AFGA member but chose to Join ABWSF as it was more in line with my interest.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Default Not a chance

Hunters are comprised of many different backgrounds, educations and beliefs.
Beliefs of what a hunt should be, if its respect for animals, wild and free hunts, enclosure hunts etc.
Some forms of killing are especially bad in the publics and other hunters eyes, for example, canned hunts. This has been a source of many threads on AO, and you will not find the support in this Province to back it. If AFGA were to run with a proposal in support of this, should we all just join hands because we're all hunters? Not likely. We need to support each other when very large issues arise, that are worth standing for, this is not one of those for me.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Hunters are comprised of many different backgrounds, educations and beliefs.
Beliefs of what a hunt should be, if its respect for animals, wild and free hunts, enclosure hunts etc.
Some forms of killing are especially bad in the publics and other hunters eyes, for example, canned hunts. This has been a source of many threads on AO, and you will not find the support in this Province to back it. If AFGA were to run with a proposal in support of this, should we all just join hands because we're all hunters? Not likely. We need to support each other when very large issues arise, that are worth standing for, this is not one of those for me.
Poor analogy, We are loosing hunting rights and that should be condemned by all hunters because your way may be next.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
You nailed it there and everyone is more concerned about what Cam Hanes says about UAHunt. The sad truth is while everyone is burning their UAhunt and worried about some USA sponsored couple and what a USA mainstream company does with it's money we are fighting an uphill battle in AB over our hunting. When the AFGA president and AO writer Mark Boyce come out and support banning spears and neither their organization or company seems to respond we are in trouble. AB hunters seems more concerned about boycotting UAhunt than boycotting or questioning the groups or companies that affect us right here in AB. Sadly while everyone waits to see what the next big US name says about UAhunt we have heard nothing publicly from our AB industry reps on the matter going on here in AB.
This is a good post and I agree.

Although I still won't be supporting UA.