Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Bino Advice

Looking at stepping into the world of higher end binoculars and after looking around, and going through a lot of my initial list I've narrowed it down to the following:

Zeiss Victory HT 10x42
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42
Swarovski EL 10x42
Swarovski SLC 10x42

I am aware of the specs and and how they compare on paper, my question to those who have actually used any of the above hunting, what are your thoughts and how do they compare in your experience. There is a large price gap between the most and least expensive of those. Will be used for longer range observing, trying to find animals in more open environments.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 PM

I have owned the EL 10x42
Have used the SLC besides the EL's found the image sharper on the EL the colours seem to pop more, I would say the SLC where flat compared to the EL'S. But the SLC isn't a bad binocular . My eyes liked the EL'S .
I sold them for the EL Range. 10x42
I love these bino's

I haven't used the Zeiss
Old 08-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Banned

If the Zeiss' that you listed are anything like the Zeiss Victory RF, go with the Zeiss. Glass is amazing. And probably cheaper than the Swaros.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:33 PM

I just bought a pair of el 10x42,top of the line.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 PM

I don't specifically have any experience with what you have listed.

But I have learned that to get some of the better real world reviews on pretty much any binocular or spotting scope is to check out www.birdforum.net

That forum has a significant amount of members and they share the good and bad about the tools of their hobby! They are VERY particular about their gear.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Leica 8x42 HD-B

Tried and owned a few of your choices. By far the clear winner for me was the Leica HD-B 8x42. I can stand and use the 8x42 and my shake does't bother me. Also I can use the 8x in a running vehicle. The 10x42 I needed a support or a leaning post and always the vehicle off.
Try the Leica and an any 8x, they may be better for you as well.
Enjoy them. Well worth the investment. Every time I pick them up I say wow.
Good luck.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahfaye View Post
Also I can use the 8x in a running vehicle.
Good luck.
That's definitely detected road hunter

Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 PM

I have the Zeiss 10 x 32 FL and have found them to be very good I spot and stalk for hunting and went to the 32 vs the 42 to drop size and weight. We also use these on our vacation trips and my wife has no problem with them.

Very clear at low light, easy to handle and crisp images. I had looked at the Swarovski and could not see a difference in performance that would justify the difference in price.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the input so far. I looked at, and REALLY liked the Swarovski CL's but decided I wanted a 10x42 to bridge the gap between binos and the spotter I won't have. I didn't really want to invest in a spotting scope because, although I would be able to put it to good use this year, I may not in subsequent years whereas binos are useful no matter where you are or how you're hunting. I know that you can't truly replace a spotting scope with binos, they're two different tools for 2 different things. That said, I figured a 10x top tier bino would help bridge that gap especially considering I'm not neccessrily looking to judge trophy quality of an animal, just to find them at range.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Looking at stepping into the world of higher end binoculars and after looking around, and going through a lot of my initial list I've narrowed it down to the following:

Zeiss Victory HT 10x42
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42
Swarovski EL 10x42
Swarovski SLC 10x42

I am aware of the specs and and how they compare on paper, my question to those who have actually used any of the above hunting, what are your thoughts and how do they compare in your experience. There is a large price gap between the most and least expensive of those. Will be used for longer range observing, trying to find animals in more open environments.
I'v had a few pairs of Ziess binos , and I now have one of the best scopes they make on my 300 ,
I'v owned 2 pairs of Swarovski , I really liked the 10x42 SLC ,
Both are very good products ,

But if your really looking for good binos , you owe to yourself to go check out the new Leica 10x42 HD B with built in range finder , hands down the best glass I'v ever looked through , costly , yet could be worth it on that special hunt
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Had a similar dilemma to yourself last year

Considered Swavorski, Zeiss and Leica (was not hung up on a specific brand but just wanted to get a high quality set of binoculars which would last)

Debated 8X Vs. 10X‎ and I ended up getting the 10X because they work better for how I like to glass for game as well as for my eyes.

I found that the FOV between the 8 and 10 was not significant enough‎ to bother me.*

I also find that I can hold them steady enough so that was not really an issue.

The optics on all these higher end Binos in these brands are all excellent. ‎I looked through all and could not see a difference in quality; I think if you need a spectro-photometer to discern an advantage of one over the other then the advantage is pretty theoretical. *

I ‎ended up getting the Leica 10x50HD and a range finder separately (the rangemaster 1600‎).‎

The Leica were a little cheaper than the Swavorski and with the difference in price was able to get a rangefinder as well.‎ So I got both for about the same price as the Swavorski Binos.*

I could have bought the Leica *with the integrated range finder and that would certainly be more convenient to carry one optic system rather than two however I had two concerns:

Firstly I wanted to buy the Binos once and I am always worried electronic devices are less robust than simple Binos. Hence was worried that Binos with an integrated rangefinder would not last as long as a straight pair of Binos. (even though Leica has decades of experience making these in their Geovid line). Probably not a real concern but to my OCD is was‎ at the time.*

Secondly I felt I wanted the 50mm lens for its increadable clarity and light gathering ability ‎and the integrated Binos on come in 40mm objective lenses.*

In the end I made my decision and am very happy with the Leica.

The biggest thing I can suggest is go to a store and look through and feel each pair.

The ergonomics *are important and they are ‎individual - what's good for me may not be good for you.

The inter-pupillary distance *is also an important consideration.‎

Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 PM

You would not regret the Swaro EL's. Best hunting equipment investment I ever made.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Not on your list, but put your eyes into a set of Leica 10x50's. You want to talk about pop. I've compared my Leica 10x50's right next to Zeiss and Swaro out in the field and do notice a clearer image....at least for me. i too will not pack a spotter, not while i own these binos.Their heavy but worth every ounce of weight. Big time! But word of caution.....don't let anyone look through them because they won't give them back! Trust me.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM

Default Binos

I have never owned any Zeiss binos, but have looked through a few sets, and they are good. I have owned Swaro 10-42 El and they were great. I currently have a set of them with the built in rangefinder and I would not be without them. Prior to buying the Swaro range set, I checked out the Leicas. They to seemed to be very impressive. I elected to go with the Swaro's because of the previous set of ELs I had, and the great service they provided me. You have some pretty great choices with all of them. Find the pair that "feel right" in your hands and your set.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 PM

10X42 ZEISS HD... SO LOVING THEM. I stopped wearing my specs when glassing.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. With the sale on swaro products at cabelas right now I decided to go with the EL's.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM

I think you made a good choice.. I have the Swaro slc 10x42 for a year now. Last fall opened a gate with binos on neck, broke the wheel adj. when squeezed between me and gate post, Swaro fixed no charge... last week I lost one of my lense covers, contacted Swaro, new ones in mail as we speak... no charge........ they paid freight both in sending binos to R.l and sending out the covers via Fed Ex.. They also did up all customs docs for me as part of their warranty service. Gotta like that Hope you enjoy yours as much I as I have.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. With the sale on swaro products at cabelas right now I decided to go with the EL's.
Apologies for the thread derail gents.

45-70sapper - I've sent you a couple of PMs and email regarding items you have listed in the exchange forum. Would appreciate a quick reply - thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Great choice. I have the EL 10x42's and like them. I much prefer the 10x line of binos over the 8x, they seem to be the perfect balance between size, weight, and magnification.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Swarovski El hands down - in low light conditions.
SLC very close second in daytime , but noticably less crisp at prime time!
Own both.
Zeiss Victory HD owned in past, was good but not in same class.
Lower end options better and better these days though.
Vortex Razor HD impressive too considering price tag.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:15 AM

I have the victory ht, I really like the EL's but when panning side to side the view appeared to "roll" with a clear spot only right in the center. The view is very flat when stationary. That was a deal breaker for me, as the zeiss were every bit as clear, I like the feel of the EL better but for my vision I just couldn't live with the one hangup.