Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
killed an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a legal weapon??? just because you couldn't do it, doesn't mean he shouldn't.
X 1,000,000. I can't understand how hunters are against what this guy did. Ya he Could have toned down the celebration, but so could a lot of athletes after they score. At the end of the day, if some guy shot a bear with a rifle and jumped around like an idiot, would all the people who are ok with Agfa's stance on spear hunting be ok if they took the same stance on rifle hunting? The premise is absolutely no different.

Last edited by 300magman; 08-20-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM

And you all expected....? Same old boys club that watched opportunities get turned into long-wait draws, allowed the grizzly study fiasco to wipe out that hunt, doesn't say much about outfitters having non res tags that residents won't ever be able to draw, has never openly called out apos on their poaching issues, has rarely had anything to say about hunters being locked out of crown land by leaseholders...etc ad infinitum.

Not that they haven't done good in some respects, but they have never had backbone when it comes to controversial issues.

Been saying it for a long time, the afga needs a through house cleaning. They don't represent alberta hunters.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Needs a house cleaning from the top down.
Too entrenched for too long.
New blood to deal with new issues.
Don't waste your money until there is a change
Don't waste your time emailing

Our club was the second largest club when we decided to disassociate ourselves from the AFGA. We didn't approve of their business practices, and we felt that we could put the $60,000 in annual fees to much better use for our members.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Not a big fan of most hunting shows for the same reasons that have been mentioned here- I was already cringing pretty hard at the fake heartbeats and I almost groaned out loud when he started rewinding the throw.

That being said you just can't win with these people- you use a gun, its unethical because the animal "has no chance". You use one of the simplest tools man has ever utilized and its unethical because it wasn't killed "quickly enough".

The AFGA should take a good hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they bother with their organization if they're not supporting hunters in situations like this one. Our NDP government will applaud a guy for being 'brave' enough to use the ladies' room but heaven help us if a man wants to hunt dangerous game with a primitive weapon
Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It wasn't to many years ago the anti crowd use to be critical of hunting with firearms, and how we should hunt with primitive weapons to give the animal a chance, now a days archery and "Spear" hunters are chastised. Its a no win situation for hunters.
Of course the way some hunters present themselves on camera or in public doesn't help matters.
Exactly
Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

Gotta admit I'm a bit perplexed at the presidents statement.
But deciding to not support the AFGA because you don't agree with this is just a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right'.
They are one of the few groups who do fight for our rights that gov't listens to...and until anyone comes up with a better solution...or does something concrete to preserve our rights I'll continue to support those that do.
Other than maybe write a letter or two I can pretty much guarantee that those who are pulling their support actually do squat to preserve our rights.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
And you all expected....? Same old boys club that watched opportunities get turned into long-wait draws, allowed the grizzly study fiasco to wipe out that hunt, doesn't say much about outfitters having non res tags that residents won't ever be able to draw, has never openly called out apos on their poaching issues, has rarely had anything to say about hunters being locked out of crown land by leaseholders...etc ad infinitum.

Not that they haven't done good in some respects, but they have never had backbone when it comes to controversial issues.

Been saying it for a long time, the afga needs a through house cleaning. They don't represent alberta hunters.
Agreed
Old 08-20-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
The 8 spear hunters in Alberta should be outraged by this!
I'm glad Alberta Fish and Game is not wasteing funds supporting such a small group of enthusiasts, when so many other issues are at hand.
And I am not a big fan of the organization.
Having said that, I am a member of a large organization who also has to pick what hill to die on, and spear hunting tainted by this fool is not that hill folks.
He has drawn negative attention to all, and for that the public will make us all suffer. Hunting isn't about blood and guts, at least not for me, and I wouldn't buy UA gear if they supported It.
And if you take a stand on this, you will flip that large portion of the public that are sitting on the fence, the ones who do not hunt but understand our connection to it. All hunting will then be at risk.
Hunters in Canada have proven that we cant band together to protect our heritage, and this tasteless act is where we will all come together? This is a fools stand and should be run from.
Well written and agree 100%
Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 AM

This is a fools stand and should be run from.

About as concise as you can get.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Gotta admit I'm a bit perplexed at the presidents statement.
But deciding to not support the AFGA because you don't agree with this is just a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right'.
They are one of the few groups who do fight for our rights that gov't listens to...and until anyone comes up with a better solution...or does something concrete to preserve our rights I'll continue to support those that do.
Other than maybe write a letter or two I can pretty much guarantee that those who are pulling their support actually do squat to preserve our rights.
This!!! Get your lazy butts off the couch, get actively involved in your local club and run for the executive of the Alberta Organisation. There is a reason the executive is made up of a bunch of old guys. There aren't any young ones running for office,

Who else is doing more or a better job for Alberta hunters, fisherman and outdoors people. Where do you think all the land now being looked after by ACCA, that we can all access, came from. If you want a voice get involved instead of belly aching and sniping an whining on here.

Just to be clear, I think AFGA should be supporting Spear Hunters and I will make my views known to them but if they don't change their minds I am still not giving up my membership. Change comes from the inside, not the outside.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM

I have been a member since 1975 and am not very happy about their stance.
However to leave the AFGA in protest would be wrong IMO.
Letters to god president and resolutions at affiliate meetings and the annual convention would do more good.
Cat
Old 08-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This!!! Get your lazy butts off the couch, get actively involved in your local club and run for the executive of the Alberta Organisation. There is a reason the executive is made up of a bunch of old guys. There aren't any young ones running for office,

Who else is doing more or a better job for Alberta hunters, fisherman and outdoors people. Where do you think all the land now being looked after by ACCA, that we can all access, came from. If you want a voice get involved instead of belly aching and sniping an whining on here.

Just to be clear, I think AFGA should be supporting Spear Hunters and I will make my views known to them but if they don't change their minds I am still not giving up my membership. Change comes from the inside, not the outside.
Easy to say dean, thinking they are active on current issues has been a big mistake. Previously, my multiple emails offering help/discussion have been 100% ignored. Same group, same outcome. Alberta hunters don't have time to wait for these guys to retire. It's essentially too late anyways.
I'm not throwing my money away anymore.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Banned

what are you guys willing to lose next without demanding sweeping change or different representation?
Old 08-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
what are you guys willing to lose next without demanding sweeping change or different representation?
Where are you putting your support now for lighting groups ?
Cat
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Loss

Suggesting the loss of Spear chucking opportunities,( or how about the interruption of a non approved form of hunting), resulting in the loss of other forms of killing tools, isn't that likely. Bear hunting has been on the radar for some time, and there are not many supporters of these "Bravado" type kills, in or out of the hunting community. And Bow hunting is a long ways off from plunging a spear into a baited animal in the eyes of Joe public.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Suggesting the loss of Spear chucking opportunities,( or how about the interruption of a non approved form of hunting), resulting in the loss of other forms of killing tools, isn't that likely. Bear hunting has been on the radar for some time, and there are not many supporters of these "Bravado" type kills, in or out of the hunting community. And Bow hunting is a long ways off from plunging a spear into a baited animal in the eyes of Joe public.
Actually, bow and spear including atl atl are exacly the same thing. Only difference relates to the method of projectile delivery. One is musculature charged stored energy, converted to propulsion utilizing mechanical advantage, the other is/are propelled solely by muscular energy. They are in essence exactly the same, muscle energy propelling a shafted projectile!
This is a rediculous conversation. The AFGA needs to get this figured out fast. Thier president's public stance is hopefully not mirrored by the club executive. That would be a very bad thing...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-21-2016, 01:20 PM

A very good analogy. I agree AF&G need to respond publicly right away to define their stance on this issue, but more so than ever, ALL HUNTERS, sportsmen, outdoorsmen or whatever you want to call yourself, need to stand united on these issue and quit arguing amongst ourselves
Old 08-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
The AFGA needs to get this figured out fast. Thier president's public stance is hopefully not mirrored by the club executive. That would be a very bad thing...
Do they need to spell it out in a different language for you?
When a president of a group has a position, it is the groups position.
If a group/exec/board of directors disagrees with the president, they remove the president.
You cannot have an effective group when they are sucking and blowing on the same topic.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:49 PM

The only thing that the hunter is guilty of is making an obnoxious video. If he would have bowed his head and thanked the great spirit for allowing the bear to give his life for nourishment, the outcome would be completely reversed. Of course it was in the heat of the moment and his adrenaline was pumping hard as it should be.
On the other hand the president of afga had plenty of time to make a common sense judgement. I believe that he had an axe to grind with a particular form of legal hunting. He needs to apologize for his poorly worded statement and step down for the greater good of the organization. It's damage control time.
Perhaps the afga should consult other senior members and spend a bit of money and have a lawyer word their opinion a little bit more delicately.
Anti hunters are just that, anti hunters. I have never been attracted to spear hunting particularly but when you witness this hunters remarkable skill, precision and effectiveness of the weapon, I realize that I am too young to decide that neither me, nor anyone else should be able to participate in this method of traditional hunting.
It is a sad day for the future of our great hunting heritage.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:06 PM

Default Are u sure?

I'm not so hire its a hit to our great hunting heritage.
Mane show that video to your grandfather, father or some other senior and see what their take is on it. Maybe they think its a great stance to fight for, but I'm going to wager no. Like it or not, this individual represented spear hunting, and now we have a storm. Someone was right when they said its time for damage control.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Default As travesties go ...

The video is far from the worst thing I have seen on line
On You tube ,Twitter etc. Anybody who believes any of our
G&F ass. are anything but elitist social clubs must have a degree
In disillusioned. I agree with most who say engage on important
Matters , this ain't it . It's already been stated here , your being
forced to defend stupidity . That video has nothing to do with
Fair chase and sportsman like behaviour as I understand it .
If you allow this incident to be connected to hunting at its highest level
Your helping it into the grave !
Old 08-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
You know who should be really ashamed (The video editor). For putting us hunters in this predicament in the first place. Stop posting stupid crap, bad shots happen but the graphic material does not need to be televised.
100% agreed
Old 08-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Afga stance

Big slow spear/little fast spear (arrow) there's no difference, both kill by hemmorage. I can't for the life of me understand how a difference can be seen in these two hunting methods. We're beginning the divide of divide and conquer if we succumb to this thinking.

The dude made a horrific mistake posting that stupid video we should be going after and vilifying the hunter and his antics not the spear. This is gonna get ugly and the best thing would be a heartfelt and public apology from the poster of the video for his disrespectful attitude. Spear hunting should be done in a respectful and quiet way...without anyone being the wiser.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I
This way there is a chance to make the change you desire.

Write to the AFGA, send your email to each of these individuals.

I have a hunch there will be an executive meeting on this topic very soon, and it is very important for the membership to let these people know where you stand.

And THANK YOU to those that do write in support of HUNTING!

President Wayne Lowry
rwlowry7@gmail.com

Hunting Chair Ian Stuart
ianstuart@cciwireless.ca

1st Vice-President Doug Butler
dougbutler@live.com

2nd Vice-President Brian Dingreville
brianad@shaw.ca Coalhurst
Done.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Someone was right when they said its time for damage control.
Yep, it sure is. And here is your damage control...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Big slow spear/little fast spear (arrow) there's no difference, both kill by hemmorage. I can't for the life of me understand how a difference can be seen in these two hunting methods.
The only discussion we should be considering is if there needs to be some minimum standards for a "legal" spear, as exists for hunting arrows.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 PM

seems to me not long ago some feller made a you tube vid. of coyote hunting with greyhounds.the response was similar ,the results a threat to ban the activity but wait after a large petition was formed the higher powers backed off only to come back with regulations making it nearly impossible to hunt coyotes with hounds legally.I personally new 6 houndsmen who stopped hunting and got rid of their dogs because of it. Be careful what you wish for it might come true!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverJim View Post
seems to me not long ago some feller made a you tube vid. of coyote hunting with greyhounds.the response was similar ,the results a threat to ban the activity but wait after a large petition was formed the higher powers backed off only to come back with regulations making it nearly impossible to hunt coyotes with hounds legally.I personally new 6 houndsmen who stopped hunting and got rid of their dogs because of it. Be careful what you wish for it might come true!
Are you sure that is how it went? I thought the ban came down and some groups fought for what little concessions they could as landowners via livestock protection. Another classic case of some misguided folks who thought they could throw the media antis a bone and they didn't fight for the handful of folks who participated in the activity. All the "holier than thou" hunter types will some day be wondering who is going to stick up for them.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Easy to say dean, thinking they are active on current issues has been a big mistake. Previously, my multiple emails offering help/discussion have been 100% ignored. Same group, same outcome. Alberta hunters don't have time to wait for these guys to retire. It's essentially too late anyways.
I'm not throwing my money away anymore.
You do realize AFGA is a member elected board right? Feel free to run for election next conference. I'm sure by leaving the organization the change that you state is so needed will then definitely occur.

If it is not AFGA representing us, then who? Who should be our voice to the government?

Sure easy to complain online from home. Time for each of us to step up and volunteer our time rather than expect someone else to do it for us.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
You do realize AFGA is a member elected board right? Feel free to run for election next conference. I'm sure by leaving the organization the change that you state is so needed will then definitely occur.

If it is not AFGA representing us, then who? Who should be our voice to the government?

Sure easy to complain online from home. Time for each of us to step up and volunteer our time rather than expect someone else to do it for us.
Agreed if the people boycotting the AFGA would step up and volunteer there time to help change things maybe change would come. But I think they would rather sit on the couch and belly ache. Nothing comes free maybe fight yourself for once instead of letting others do it for you.
Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Gone Hunting

So that huge annual sum of membership money really gets members nothing more than consistently lacking real world results with major provincial issues, and the good old diversion, "step up and do it yourself or dont complain", is all there is to consistently say... Hmmm

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er