Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 AM

Default Bring bird carcasses back from the USA ??

I am headed to Montana this Sept and other states later on to hunt birds. I can't find anywhere after an exhaustive search if I can or what I need to bring back bird carcasses from the USA into Canada.

Can anyone direct me or advise please ?

I know what to do for the guns and ammo so I don't want to debate that here.

Thanks in advance.

Dog_River
Old 08-20-2016, 08:26 AM

We went on a Turkey hunt a couple of years ago and had no problems bringing them back
Old 08-20-2016, 08:38 AM

Default bird on return from US

Usually there is no problem just fill out the paper work on the USA side prior to reentry into Canada. However last year there was a ban on unprocessed birds from certain US states (not Montana) due to avian Flue. Best to check with the Canadian border Veterinarian prior to going down to see if any restrictions apply......
Old 08-20-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhood1 View Post
Usually there is no problem just fill out the paper work on the USA side prior to reentry into Canada. However last year there was a ban on unprocessed birds from certain US states (not Montana) due to avian Flue. Best to check with the Canadian border Veterinarian prior to going down to see if any restrictions apply......
This was exactly my concern. Does anyone have a number for the Canadian vets office ?

Thanks, I will report back what I find out.

Dog_River
Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Birds

Yo!

I have done this quite a few times. On the way back, you stop on the American side and fill out an export permit. They show you how to do it. Then you show it to the Canucks and all is good ...

I have had a few laughs over the years, though .. I show up at Sweet Grass one foggy Halloween night and walked into the U.S. customs. There were two officials sitting together and I told them that I needed an export permit for a swan. One chap looked up and asked me what kind of car that was?

Actually that night was the only time the Canadian customs folk gave me any kind of a delay .. They had me come inside and two of them got on their computers trying to figure out their next step .. ?? Finally one guy said that I needed a zoo permit .. I said that the swan was already dead .. so why would I need a zoo permit ..

They finally got someone on the phone ... obviously the chap asked if I had the export permit and such ... so give the man clearance to come in .. Sheeshhh ..

Another time I had an antelope and they (American customs ) asked if it was O.K. for their new lady officer to pose beside it ... to show other customs agents that Montana was a sportsmen's posting ... They were great ..

Have fun ... I love hunting in Montana ...
Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 AM

Federal Vet..403 344 3808 Mon-Fri.......Coutts AB.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM

I drove across with a bunch of sea ducks once from Washington and they did not want any paperwork done.

I Flew home with Turkeys from Kansas and nobody asked for paperwork either. I told them I had my hunting licence both times and it was all good.

I have an Antelope hunt in NM in October and have to find out what is needed for that. Hopefully its not much.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Flew and drove home several times with whole gobblers frozen or some parts like breasts and tailfan in my checked luggage never had an issue. I put all our paperwork in one bundle and declare what I'm bringing back they never really ask beyond that.

Are you going on an upland game bird hunt? Last time they didn't even check our firearms coming back to Canada.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:59 PM

There is a declaration form that legally allows a you to be in possession of wildlife when down there. They won't mention it when you cross in so you need to ask for one.
Because you usually do not stop at the American side when leaving it's not a concern at the Canadian side.
But if you are stopped on the US side you could face a fine for not having that form filed out.
I found this out in the spring of 2015 when we tried to cross with turkeys from Kansas. Kansas was one several states that had the bird flu ban on at the time.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:06 PM

All great input guy's, Thanks very much.

Dog_River
Old 08-20-2016, 03:15 PM

So what does a guy need for big game hide and horns then? And can you get this form online before hand somewhere?
Old 08-20-2016, 05:42 PM

https://www.fws.gov/le/declaration-form-3-177.html
Must be form 3-177.
The border guard said to just ask for it when you cross.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
https://www.fws.gov/le/declaration-form-3-177.html
Must be form 3-177.
The border guard said to just ask for it when you cross.
Thank u
Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 AM

If you are not bringing back an animal listed under the CITES agreement, or for commercial uses I don't know if that form has to be filled out. Skull plates have to be clean, no sinew, bone marrow and evidence of species and sex have to present. Hunted across the border quite a bit in the past and had made phone calls to FW and government offices to know because it wasn't very clear online. Will look into that again before chasing antelope in Wyoming next year.

§14.91 When do I need an import/export license?
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...50%3A1.0.1.2.8

If I import into the United States or export from the United States . . . do I need an import/export license?

(1) Wildlife in the form of products such as garments, bags, shoes, boots, jewelry, rugs, trophies, or curios for commercial purposes Yes.
(2) Wildlife in the form of hides, furs, or skins for commercial purposes Yes.
(3) Wildlife in the form of food for commercial purposes Yes.
(4) As an animal dealer, animal broker, pet dealer, or pet or laboratory supplier Yes.
(5) As an individual owner of a personally owned live wildlife pet for personal use No.
(6) As a collector or hobbyist for personal use No.
(7) As a collector or hobbyist for commercial purposes, including sale, trade or barter Yes.
(8) As a laboratory researcher or biomedical supplier for commercial purposes Yes.
(9) As a customs broker or freight forwarder engaged in business as a dispatcher, handler, consolidator, or transporter of wildlife or if I file documents with the Service on behalf of others No.
(10) As a common carrier engaged in business as a transporter of wildlife No.
(11) As a taxidermist, outfitter, or guide importing or exporting my own hunting trophies for commercial purposes Yes.
(12) As a taxidermist, outfitter, or guide transporting or shipping hunting trophies for clients or customers No.
(13) As a U.S. taxidermist receiving a U.S. client's personal hunting trophies after import clearance for processing No.
(14) As a U.S. taxidermist importing wildlife from or exporting wildlife to foreign owners who are requesting my services Yes.
(15) As a foreign owner of wildlife exporting my personal hunting trophies from the United States to my home No.
(16) As a circus for exhibition or resale purposes Yes.
(17) As a Federal, State, municipal, or tribal agency No.
(18) As a public museum, or public scientific or educational institution for noncommercial research or educational purposes No.

Last edited by Pierre Tessier; 08-21-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 AM

When I call the vet I will ask him if I need a vet certificate for my dog and will let you guy's know what his response was also.

Dog_River
Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Any of my clients bringing dogs up usually have to get a vet certificate..
Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 PM

I forgot to mention that I am a Dual Citizen, not sure if I even need to submit the 6nia but I will find out soon enough.

Dog_River
Old 08-21-2016, 04:50 PM

Smile The Dog

He definitely needs paper work. Vaccinations up to date in the last 6 months and a "passport" from a Vet that he is in good health.

You'all have fun.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM

They dont have a clue for meat...they were looking on Google to try and find out if bringing back the meat was legal.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 AM

I spoke with the federal vet at the border yesterday and he confirmed all you need to bring back game is the Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife (Form 3-177). The link to download the form is above on this thread.

Dog_River
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Crossing from the US to Canada

I cross the boarder every year with Pheasants with generally no issues at all. Interestingly I have had challenges when stop on the Canadian side at the wildlife stop checks.
Keep your Montana license handy if this occurs. In Montana you must retain attached leg in others words no breasting the Pheasants. This I find odd, who wants a dirty pheasant leg frozen with the meat ...... I end up trying to just keep them good and cold on ice, with the leg pinched in the zip lock outside the bag. Anyway back to the story, the Canadian officers did not know what the limits were, what the possession was or how birds from Montana must be processed, the leg thing. Anyway after a 30 minute delay I was on my way.

Thought I would share
Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Default bird on return from US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teagan View Post
I cross the boarder every year with Pheasants with generally no issues at all. Interestingly I have had challenges when stop on the Canadian side at the wildlife stop checks.
Keep your Montana license handy if this occurs. In Montana you must retain attached leg in others words no breasting the Pheasants. This I find odd, who wants a dirty pheasant leg frozen with the meat ...... I end up trying to just keep them good and cold on ice, with the leg pinched in the zip lock outside the bag. Anyway back to the story, the Canadian officers did not know what the limits were, what the possession was or how birds from Montana must be processed, the leg thing. Anyway after a 30 minute delay I was on my way.

Thought I would share
The only real proof you have brought those birds from the USA into Canada is your export paper work not your MT. hunting lic.........Both Canadian and US officers at the border can be unfamiliar with appropriate paper work required and sometimes I need to remind them what is required/needed. Also off subject your importation of firearms permit is to be carried with you at all times when down there hunting, as well you are not legally allowed to purchase shells down there.......
Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I drove across with a bunch of sea ducks once from Washington and they did not want any paperwork done.

I Flew home with Turkeys from Kansas and nobody asked for paperwork either. I told them I had my hunting licence both times and it was all good.

I have an Antelope hunt in NM in October and have to find out what is needed for that. Hopefully its not much.
my experience as well, USFW told me they only issue an export permit for cites animals. Can customs just wanted to see my hunting license, no export permit required.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhood1 View Post
The only real proof you have brought those birds from the USA into Canada is your export paper work not your MT. hunting lic.........Both Canadian and US officers at the border can be unfamiliar with appropriate paper work required and sometimes I need to remind them what is required/needed. Also off subject your importation of firearms permit is to be carried with you at all times when down there hunting, as well you are not legally allowed to purchase shells down there.......
You need to read up on the rules, first an import permit for game is only required only for certain species (mainly cites ones), its right on their web site NA game animals are exempt, second you don't need a firearm import permit coming back from the US. Once again coming back from the US is exempt from this and your Form 6NIA serves as the documentation. The import permit is only required if you travel over seas and re coming back.

Like you say customs officials are often not up to speed on the rules so I print them off, highlight the applicable sections. I have never had an issue at any border crossing with a firearm or animal in my position.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
You need to read up on the rules, first an import permit for game is only required only for certain species (mainly cites ones), its right on their web site NA game animals are exempt, second you don't need a firearm import permit coming back from the US. Once again coming back from the US is exempt from this and your Form 6NIA serves as the documentation. The import permit is only required if you travel over seas and re coming back.

Like you say customs officials are often not up to speed on the rules so I print them off, highlight the applicable sections. I have never had an issue at any border crossing with a firearm or animal in my position.
You need to read before quoting. And not to be hostile however.
You need to have a 6NIA to import firearms and ammunition into the USA and possess a firearm and said ammunition while in the USA as a Non Immigrant and serves as a document of any import of firearms and ammunition while in the USA! And correct you don't need it to get back into Canada and I never said you did. However you best to have a green card if asked for proof that you exported those firearms from Canada and are returning with them. Second you need a exportation cert. for any wildlife taken in the USA and exported into Canada. I am not to going to argue this point and I have been doing this for 20 years. It is the only proof you have while traveling in Canada and in possession of that wildlife that you have taken those birds(and birds were what this post started as ) in the USA. Hence you can have 9 pheasants in possession in Montana and take them across the border where 6 is the possession limit in Alberta. Furthermore the seasons are slightly different and if you get stopped in Alberta in late Dec. transporting 9 pheasants good luck explaining possession of 9 pheasants with out a export permit from MT......