Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default what spear to buy?

well this is probably my last chance to ever hunt with a spear so i'll give it a go.

https://www.amazon.ca/Cold-Steel-Ass...keywords=spear

this is the one i first considered because it looks like the one used in "the bear video"

i'll be going after deer

Last edited by fish_e_o; 08-22-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM

It will be interesting to see if the NDP can change the law before the general season starts up. The zone I just booked a week off for starts Sept. 17th.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM

Make sure you video tape the hunt for everyone to enjoy. Keep in mind fist pumps and thanking Jesus only add to the entertainment.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Above all.................. make sure your spear is sharp and you have your new clean depends on......
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
well this is probably my last chance to ever hunt with a spear so i'll give it a go.
yeah, it's not like a person needs any time to practice. Everyone knows how to throw.

Watched that &#^# Jason Acorn (who I don't actually mind most of the time) try to hit a deer with a spear on the BoneYard. Only reason it didn't go viral was because he missed by a mile. A true precision killing instrument, in his hands anyway. I do have my limits on what I consider an ethical hunting method, and I think spears are getting pretty close to it.... just short of an axe.

And no, fish, I'm not saying anything about you or that you wouldn't practice. But others....
Old 08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:

this is the one i first considered because it looks like the one used in "the bear video"

i'll be going after deer
I would make it a bit heavier. 27.2 ounces is on the light side.IMO.

Here is some data to help make your decision.

http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/articles/howhard.htm

This spear would be my choice if I didn't make my own.

http://timwellsbowhunter.com/product...el-boar-spear/
Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
yeah, it's not like a person needs any time to practice. Everyone knows how to throw.

Watched that &#^# Jason Acorn (who I don't actually mind most of the time) try to hit a deer with a spear on the BoneYard. Only reason it didn't go viral was because he missed by a mile. A true precision killing instrument, in his hands anyway. I do have my limits on what I consider an ethical hunting method, and I think spears are getting pretty close to it.... just short of an axe.

And no, fish, I'm not saying anything about you or that you wouldn't practice. But others....
i've had tons of deer every year walk directly under me in my tree stand so i think that's going to be how i'll be doing this and how i'm going to be practicing.

i have two months i hope i can get to the point where i'm proficient with it, if not i'll simply not do it.

also that spear looks awesome dmcbride. i'll just have to find a Canadian seller
Old 08-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
It will be interesting to see if the NDP can change the law before the general season starts up. The zone I just booked a week off for starts Sept. 17th.
id be careful hunting with spears this year

from my understanding, the law is already changed when they changed the definition of what a hunting WEAPON is
this happened many months before the 'bear spearing' video came out

from this years hunting regs, a spear does not full into the definition, there is no definition for muscle power projectile:

Weapon - a firearm or any other device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, spring, air, gas, string, wire or elastic material or any combination of those things.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
i've had tons of deer every year walk directly under me in my tree stand so i think that's going to be how i'll be doing this and how i'm going to be practicing.

i have two months i hope i can get to the point where i'm proficient with it, if not i'll simply not do it.

also that spear looks awesome dmcbride. i'll just have to find a Canadian seller
I do think the spear is a bit light and you said that you have deer walking directly under your tree stand so I suggest you use this item with the blade of the spear.
https://www.amazon.ca/NSG-Flight-Pog.../dp/B00BWLCLY4
This will ensure deep penetration and will up the thrill level substantially.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Gone Hunting

I'd go for elk and avoid all those animals with names like Smokey, Bambi, and Bullwinkle.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'd go for elk and avoid all those animals with names like Smokey, Bambi, and Bullwinkle.
you're depending on anti's to not get their species mixed up.

"In a story reminiscent of Cecil the Lion, a famous elk from Kittitas county, Washington was shot and harvested by a hunter last December. Normally, this isn’t news but this particular elk was a local legend. It lived in a pasture and allowed tourists to feed it by hand and take as many pictures as daylight would allow. Nicknamed “Bullwinkle”, he was the star of show. However, how quickly things changed."

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/high-p...trage-follows/
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post

from my understanding, the law is already changed when they changed the definition of what a hunting WEAPON is

from this years hunting regs, a spear does not full into the definition, there is no definition for muscle power projectile:

Weapon - a firearm or any other device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, spring, air, gas, string, wire or elastic material or any combination of those things.
No they haven't changed anything yet. That same definition was in last years regs as well.

Maybe I will just put a knock on my spear and bring my bow.LOL.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No they haven't changed anything yet. That same definition was in last years regs as well.

Maybe I will just put a knock on my spear and bring my bow.LOL.
Man, what would the draw weight be to launch that thing? I wouldn't want to hold it very long.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:

No, the law has Not been changed yet.

There have been NO changes to the definition of legal weapons within the Wildlife Act nor the Wildlife regulations for years.....

But there is a new ORDER from the Premier's office last week demanding that F&W change the laws immediately.

Our Leader has spoken....

We should know soon if this Order will be realized by Ministerial action or through
the legislature.... either way, Our Dear Leader will have her way....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Will this affect FN people to continue using this method?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

There have been NO changes to the definition of legal weapons within the Wildlife Act nor the Wildlife regulations for years.....

But there is a new ORDER from the Premier's office last week demanding that F&W change the laws immediately.

We should know soon if this Order will be realized by Ministerial action or through
Seems to be a trend with our new leader.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Sort of like Ralph and barbs. Took a mistake to get back to sanity.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Seems to be a trend with our new leader.
Ahem.... That's "Dear Leader"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Will this affect FN people to continue using this method?
I don't think so.

Spoken word from F&W Enforcement is that there will likely be a non-enforcement directive in place for Aboriginal people who use spears/atlatl darts.

There is little desire to write an exemption into law for Aboriginal peoples, and no desire to lose the inevitable court case if such charges were laid....

So, an "Indian" and a "White" guy go spear hunting together....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

any mention on if they'll ban it completely or if it does get banned before i can do it maybe i can still poke a rabbit or something so it's not a complete waste.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Gone Hunting

I use a long cattle prod with 12 battteries. When I poke them with it, they run like a turpentined dog, faster than a bull when his jewels are attacked by the same gadget!!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

Would a spear gun fit the regs?
Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Technically if hunting from a platform the spear would be "air" powered as gravity is making it fall to the animal😀
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM

You need to decide if you want a thrusting or throwing spear. Do you want to get within 6 to 8 yards for a throwing spear or an 8 to 12 foot long shafted thrusting spear thrust mere feet from the animal?

Do you "Blow the Throw" or "Trust the thrust"?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-22-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:45 PM

None is great
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Red face

Quote:

Yes it does, I eat stag chilli, gas propels my innards and my arm releases the spear...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Use a Sarissa
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

i'll be going after deer

A pointed one with some mass connected to a sturdy shaft.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:20 PM

I bought my husband a Cold Steel Samburu Spear which he plans to use from a tree stand for deer and elk. It's a beautiful, light, and very deadly weapon. Personally I like the Cold Steel boar spear because it can protect you...http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...pear-1.1701427
Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Blade attached to a pogo stick is a great idea. If you drop it and miss it will bounce back up to you for a second shot. Sort of a semi auto spear.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Blade attached to a pogo stick is a great idea. If you drop it and miss it will bounce back up to you for a second shot. Sort of a semi auto spear.
That's wicked! lmao!