Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Default How Does Cattle Grazing affect Deer Hunting?

Hey Guys,
I am looking forward to the start of archery season! I've been scouting one area since early spring and I was really starting to feel like I might have a shot at filling my first tag on the bow... However I was in the same spot 2 weeks ago and there are now cattle everywhere. I talked with the required parks department and they mentioned that this area often sees later season cattle grazing (Aug-Oct).
Now I'm in a bit of a predicament. Do I hunt the spot that I've scouted hard since early this year... or do I abandon it due to the cattle?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, I am new to this and hoping to gain some insight from guys that have been doing this for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

once the cows are out the deer come back within a couple of weeks.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 PM

Cows can definitely change how, or if, deer will continue to use an area. Deer will avoid areas of heavy cattle use - they don't like the noise and disturbance. However, there may be areas cattle won't go, usually in heavy cover. Deer will be concentrated in those areas, which can make it easier to pattern them. Sometimes cattle can concentrate deer movement.
Also, if there is a fence or some other barrier, that the cattle can't cross, deer will often use that as a travel corridor.

Overall I don't like when cattle are present. But, sometimes it can actually help.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Good question, i was wondering the same thing. Ive had a buck id been watching since last hunting season, then lost track of him with a trail cam full of pictures of cows
Old 08-22-2016, 05:37 PM

Cattle can affect access permission. Obviously, if no permission is granted when cattle are present, then it drastically affects the hunt
Is this a grazing lease?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:25 PM

No not a grazing lease, it is public land that is open to "summer" grazing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM

If there are deer there then there are deer there. I have killed elk in pastures where cattle are present a few times. Actually shot an elk two hours after a very busy cattle drive.

LC
Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 PM

I live on a cattle farm and the deer avoid the land that the cattle use at all costs. They won't go far but they definitely don't like to share the land. I watch deer all summer then never see them when the cattle are in those fields but they do come back as mentioned. If the cattle are in there best try somewhere else or figure out if they are using a different part of the land. trail camera is your best friend in this situation.

I have used the cattle to my advantage because depending on the field lay out you can use the land the cattle occupy to enter your tree stands or blind without busting out any deer. The cows will change the deers patterns and depending on the situation it can help you pattern them. not all hope is lost just be patient and figure out where they went and what they are doing now and come up with a game pan.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM

"I watch deer all summer then never see them when the cattle are in those fields but they do come back as mentioned."

Funny...I see them do the same thing when rifle hunters show up
Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 AM

From my experience, cattle and deer dont mix. When the cattle move in the deer avoid. Elk dont seem to care near as much as long as the feed is present.

I actually hunt one part of the land knowing this. The neighbour has cattle on his pasture, the deer live in the thickets withing this pasture. If the cattle are on the fenceline to the property i have permission my night is better spent in a different spot. If cattle are in pasture ar a different location, its game on
Old 08-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Default 406

I have hunted 406 for may years west of Turner Valley. Better success after the cattle are required to be removed after Thanksgiving. Moose don't seem to care but the deer relax and wonder more.