Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM

Default tag question, need help!

okay looking for some help here. this is my first year hunting. so i applied for antlerless mule deer in 312 and drew for it. rifle season is draw only and bow season is general. can i bow hunt with the special tag or is it only applicable for rifle season. thanks and sorry if its stupid question.
Tom
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM

If there is a nondraw archery season for the exact same zone you hold a draw tag for, you can hunt that zone only during the archery only season with archery tackle.

LC
Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If there is a nondraw archery season for the exact same zone you hold a draw tag for, you can hunt that zone only during the archery only season with archery tackle.

LC
Awesome that's what I was hoping. I appreciate the feedback. I have a hunt planned for Sept 2nd -5th and wanted to make sure I can archery hunt with my drawn tag.
Tom
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
Awesome that's what I was hoping. I appreciate the feedback. I have a hunt planned for Sept 2nd -5th and wanted to make sure I can archery hunt with my drawn tag.
Tom
You can hunt your drawn tag. I don't want to confuse you to much but look at the license combinations again. Maybe you already know.

If you are set on bowhunting 312 you can also purchase a general tag and bowhunt an antlered or anlerless mule deer also. Might get a chance at a good buck if you are out. The general tag will not be valid in 312 during the general season.

Good Luck

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
You can hunt your drawn tag. I don't want to confuse you to much but look at the license combinations again. Maybe you already know.

If you are set on bowhunting 312 you can also purchase a general tag and bowhunt an antlered or anlerless mule deer also. Might get a chance at a good buck if you are out. The general tag will not be valid in 312 during the general season.

Good Luck

MAC
now I'm confused lol...I thought if I drew (and purchased) my special antler less mule deer tag that I could not buy a general tag for that species...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 PM

You can have both a general and a doe draw tag. You just have to follow the regulations in regards to where your tags can be used. Clear as mud , right lol
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
now I'm confused lol...I thought if I drew (and purchased) my special antler less mule deer tag that I could not buy a general tag for that species...
You cannot hold an antlered mule deer special license and a general mule deer license.

A Resident Adult may obtain only 1 of the first 2 licences.
A Resident Youth may obtain only 1 of the last 3 licences.

Mule Deer 39.95
Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence 39.95
Youth Mule Deer 6 8.25
Special Antlered Mule Deer Partner Licence (Youth) 12.00

You can hold an antlerless mule deer special license if you have one of the 2 above

A Resident Adult may obtain 1 of each of these 15 licences (excluding the Youth licences).
A Resident Youth may obtain 15 different licences from this list of 22, but not more than 1 licence from this list for any one species.

Now I wont post all 15 but antlerless mule deer is of them

go to the regs and look in the license combinations chart for residents

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...encecosts.html

Look in the far right column at the top for Maximum Licenses allowed per hunter. It is broken up in sections and you can have any combination under that box based on the allowed criteria such as
A Resident Adult or Youth may obtain 4 different licences from this list of 25, but not more than 1 licence from this list for any one species.

Read it over several times and let it sink in.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
You can have both a general and a doe draw tag. You just have to follow the regulations in regards to where your tags can be used. Clear as mud , right lol
Im gunna sit down and do some more regulations reading lol...seems I can never wrap my head fully around it. My special drawn doe tag is only for 312. But I can also purchase a general mule license and hunt 312 (following dates and regulations obviously)?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Im gunna sit down and do some more regulations reading lol...seems I can never wrap my head fully around it. My special drawn doe tag is only for 312. But I can also purchase a general mule license and hunt 312 (following dates and regulations obviously)?
I don't have this hears regs yet. But you can have your doe draw tag, which will be zone specific, in your case 312. On top of that you can have your general tag, but it wont be good for every zone. Maybe someone who hunts 312 on a regular basis can help further
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
My special drawn doe tag is only for 312. Yes, 312 is the only zone this (draw) tag is valid for. It is good for all seasons, archery and rifle.

But I can also purchase a general mule license and hunt 312 (following dates and regulations obviously). Yes, but it is ONLY valid for the archery season. Once archery season closes, the tag is no longer valid.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
My special drawn doe tag is only for 312. Yes, 312 is the only zone this (draw) tag is valid for. It is good for all seasons, archery and rifle.

But I can also purchase a general mule license and hunt 312 (following dates and regulations obviously). Yes, but it is ONLY valid for the archery season. Once archery season closes, the tag is no longer valid.
Okay I am 100 % understanding now. Thank you for clearing it up for me!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tom, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting regulations in AB. If you study them carefully, and ask questions on the forum you will eventually have a BASIC grasp of how things are supposed to be done.
Before some of the forum marshals jump all over you, here's an important tip. There is no such thing as a doe or a buck in the regs. To be clear about what you are talking/asking about please use correct terms like antlered and antlerless. Makes answering any queries you might have much easier. Throw in the word Calf if you must, but a lot of times the answer you need depends on whether you ask the question correctly.
Good luck on that doe this year....lol
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Tom, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting regulations in AB. If you study them carefully, and ask questions on the forum you will eventually have a BASIC grasp of how things are supposed to be done.
Actually the regulations are not nearly as complicated or as difficult to understand as you would have us believe. If a new hunter takes the time to carefully read over the regulations a couple of times, you should understand most of the regulations almost immediately. If the person is still unclear about certain details and asks for clarification, he can pretty much learn all that he needs to know before he even sets foot in the field to hunt for the first time. The people that have the most problems with the regulations, are the ones that simply can't be bothered to take the time to carefully read the regulations carefully, well in advance of starting to hunt. Some people have hunted many years, and have not once actually sat down and read the regulations carefully, and because of that, they still don't understand the regulations, and then when they are caught violating the regulations, they plead ignorance and complain that the regulations are too difficult to understand. And to make things worse, these people that don't understand the regulations themselves, provide new hunters with incorrect information. TA good percentage of the times that a question is asked about the regulations on this forum, someone posts an incorrect response to the question that was posted, because the person posting the response doesn't understand the regulation himself.

I have taken out many new hunters in the past ten years or so, but I refuse to take them out, until they have read the regulations multiple times, and I have asked them questions to satisfy myself that they really have read the regulations. I have had to clarify a few details for some of these new hunters, but they knew all that they needed to know about the regulations before they set foot in the field to hunt with me.