Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default Early fathers day trip

With the weather forecast for Fathers day, my son and I decided to head out a get some flies wet today. We had a couple of quick stops to make a long the way picking stuff up. In all of that, and where our last stop before the fishing hole was, I ended up turning north instead of south. Just a total brain fart while talking and joking with my son (it doesn't happen often right now as he's 14 and at "that" age). Withbthat wrong turn, it wasnt a total waste. We saw a cow moose cross the road. Slow way down and my son wants a picture so he opens the truck door and takes a picture over the roof of the truck. Then we notice the calf so he grabs a picture of it too.

Finally on our way and get set up and it's a bit breezy but we still tie up. He hasn't casted a fly rod in a few years and has basically forgotten everything. He was casting like Indiana Jones and not having much luck. We working on form a bit and his casting started to get better but on his final back cast and finally casting it was still looking like he was making a rainbow. A little more work and some more practice and he just may be a good caster yet.

Nothing caught today, but still not a wasted day, but rather a very enjoyable day with my son.

Sorry the pictures aren't better. Cell phone pics from a kid who doesn't take pictures, lol.