Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Champion Generators - Consumer Support

In 2014 I purchased a 3100w Champion generator from Costco and was used on a handful of camping trips throughout each year. This year when it would attempt to idle down to economy mode, the RPM would hunt and surge. I pulled the carburetor off and cleaned out the float bowl and jets as I assumed the low speed circuit was plugged. No improvement. Called the Champion support line and after they walked me through a few things to try, they sent me a new carburetor and speed adjustment motor for free. Installed it and everything works perfect! Honda and Yamaha have been losing market share due to the lower price point of these generators. Now, they can also not compete with their customer service. I was apprehensive at first about this manufacturer but I have no reservations about future purchases.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
In 2014 I purchased a 3100w Champion generator from Costco and was used on a handful of camping trips throughout each year. This year when it would attempt to idle down to economy mode, the RPM would hunt and surge. I pulled the carburetor off and cleaned out the float bowl and jets as I assumed the low speed circuit was plugged. No improvement. Called the Champion support line and after they walked me through a few things to try, they sent me a new carburetor and speed adjustment motor for free. Installed it and everything works perfect! Honda and Yamaha have been losing market share due to the lower price point of these generators. Now, they can also not compete with their customer service. I was apprehensive at first about this manufacturer but I have no reservations about future purchases.
Handled as American but built in China.... hmmmmm
Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 AM

https://www.bestgenerator.org/top-brands/
Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Built in China. Enjoy...
I know.....as much as I am against supporting that regime the price point worked. That being said, what can you buy that is not manufactured in Asia?
Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I agree with you for sure it’s darn near impossible....
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
This is a good link, thanks. Looking at 2 of the generators listed here that have similar outputs to mine are, the Briggs and Stratton 30545 reatails on Amazon.ca for $1389 and the Westinghouse iGen4500 at Lowes for $1800. I think I paid around $600 for the Champion so how do you compete with the price differential?
Old 07-01-2020, 08:31 AM

We have one for our camper that was also purchased in 2014. It gets quite a bit of use throughout spring summer and fall. I don't think we've had any issues with it yet.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
This is a good link, thanks. Looking at 2 of the generators listed here that have similar outputs to mine are, the Briggs and Stratton 30545 reatails on Amazon.ca for $1389 and the Westinghouse iGen4500 at Lowes for $1800. I think I paid around $600 for the Champion so how do you compete with the price differential?
Exactly and if the customer support is great then it's a no brainer!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly and if the customer support is great then it's a no brainer!
That’s the kicker right there. Customer support is huge...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I know.....as much as I am against supporting that regime the price point worked. That being said, what can you buy that is not manufactured in Asia?
I'd take Japanese over Chinese.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'd take Japanese over Chinese.

Grizz

I hear you but you can’t disagree with the Chinese and how they have mastered distribution. Look at Covid 19. That product is taking over the world....
Old 07-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Good to know. Like you and everyone else, I hate supporting the Chinese but realistically, it is almost impossible the completely boycott Chinese made products. Some stuff just isn't available if it doesn't come from China. The fact the customer support is stellar, on top of the low price means Honda and Yamaha need to step up big time on the service side, because there is no way they are going to compete on price.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up Thx Bergerboy

Quote:
That’s the kicker right there. Customer support is huge...
So in a nutshell we have been looking for a generator to kinda do it all....run the house....yes I will get an electrician in and all permits too...and be able to do other remote electrical requirements...soooo...talked to the boss today....nicely of course…..and since crappy tire was having as sale...champion 7500 watt generator reg 1300 bucks ish….on sale for 900 bucks ish...we went in and nothing on the shelf but yet they said they got two in stock....sooo….get help and they had to go into a sea can to get the other one....was told it would take some time so we went shopping and came back 30 minutes later....now we got the manger guy and he said the box was damaged and we can make an additional deal...cool....so we go to the isle and nope not the one but the larger one a champion 9200 watt and the box is damaged in one corner....not what I wanted as this one reg 1500 bucks ish on sale for 1300 bucks ish BUT manager said due the inconvenience I can give you this one for 1000 bucks.....yup I said well lets open it up and see what got squashed...nothing........this sucker will run the entire house and then some...be good for any other job too.....champion...what Bergerboy mentioned as customer service all wrapped up to a great Canada Day...

Old 07-01-2020, 03:34 PM

we have had the the 3500/4500 watt for 6 years. There loud but run great for the price they can't be beat.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
So in a nutshell we have been looking for a generator to kinda do it all....run the house....yes I will get an electrician in and all permits too...and be able to do other remote electrical requirements...soooo...talked to the boss today....nicely of course…..and since crappy tire was having as sale...champion 7500 watt generator reg 1300 bucks ish….on sale for 900 bucks ish...we went in and nothing on the shelf but yet they said they got two in stock....sooo….get help and they had to go into a sea can to get the other one....was told it would take some time so we went shopping and came back 30 minutes later....now we got the manger guy and he said the box was damaged and we can make an additional deal...cool....so we go to the isle and nope not the one but the larger one a champion 9200 watt and the box is damaged in one corner....not what I wanted as this one reg 1500 bucks ish on sale for 1300 bucks ish BUT manager said due the inconvenience I can give you this one for 1000 bucks.....yup I said well lets open it up and see what got squashed...nothing........this sucker will run the entire house and then some...be good for any other job too.....champion...what Bergerboy mentioned as customer service all wrapped up to a great Canada Day...
That sounds like an awesome deal!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Banned

Price point worked till ours cratered in -35 in Northern Alberta. Thankfully one of the locals took pity on us and lent us their Honda... Bought a Honda and never looked back.

I suppose if you are using this to run run electric cooler and the worst case scenario is that your BEER BEER will get warm than let it buck... But for me.. Honda....
Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Now that’s awesome!!!!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Bought a Champion generator in 2015. Yeah not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha but for how often I have used it the price difference more than made up for it. I use it as a back up for my house or for when I don't feel like running several hundred feet of extension cord to a project I'm working on. Their service is top notch. I live at 6600' and they recommended the high altitude jet for the machine. Gave customer service a call and a week 10 days later I got the part in the mail. I run premium non ethanol in it and Walmart Supertech oil. Every time I'm done using it I run the bowl dry. The thing always starts on the second or third pull even with running it dry. Not the quietest by any means but having heard some construction generators its fairly quiet.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Bought a Champion generator in 2015. Yeah not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha but for how often I have used it the price difference more than made up for it. I use it as a back up for my house or for when I don't feel like running several hundred feet of extension cord to a project I'm working on. Their service is top notch. I live at 6600' and they recommended the high altitude jet for the machine. Gave customer service a call and a week 10 days later I got the part in the mail. I run premium non ethanol in it and Walmart Supertech oil. Every time I'm done using it I run the bowl dry. The thing always starts on the second or third pull even with running it dry. Not the quietest by any means but having heard some construction generators its fairly quiet.
Instead of running it dry, remove the 2 screws from the service panel and on the bottom of the carburetor bowl there is a drain valve and attached drain line. Back the drain screw out a turn or so and the fuel in the bowl will drain out.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:40 AM

Thumbs up

Went on line and registered it....put in for the free t-shirt....gonna play with it more today and source out an electrician to get the house end done up so if and when power goes out I can just plug and go.....

Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 AM

This goes back a ways now but awesome story here too. I bought a 4k open model many years ago in the U.S. before they were sold in Canada along with my FIL for our camping. They both have been rock solid still though I have not fired it up since the big flood. It ran the fridge, freezer etc. while our power was out for 3 days.
I did buy a 2k inverter model when they first came out as I wanted something smaller and quieter like a Honda without the price. I was so impressed with my 4k unit I gave it a go. They had electronic issues with some of them at first and I knew it but bought anyways. Called customer service in California and tech said to either return it for refund or if I was handy he would send me documentatioon how to replace it. I told him I was handy so had no problem doing it. He then asked if I minded helping out on this issue and would make it worth my time. I was good with that. The next day Fedex showed up with my new board. Was impressed to say the least coming from California. About 2 weeks later a Fedx truck shows up at my door with a big box from Champion. Lo and behold a new 2k inverter generator. He called me a few days later thanking me as he had me try a few things for them along the way as well since I said I would help out. Have all 3 gennys still though the inverters are my go to. Want to sell the open frame model but wife remembers the flood power outage and says no chance. As much as their stuff is Chinese their service has me a customer for life.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Price point worked till ours cratered in -35 in Northern Alberta. Thankfully one of the locals took pity on us and lent us their Honda... Bought a Honda and never looked back.

I suppose if you are using this to run run electric cooler and the worst case scenario is that your BEER BEER will get warm than let it buck... But for me.. Honda....
YUP …. and not to rain on the OP's thread or be a snob, but, let's be honest, you get what you pay for. All my small engines, generators, outboards, tractors are all quality brands like Kubota (Tractor) or Honda.

I turn the key, or pull the rope and it starts, every single time. I don't have to figure out how to make it run properly or test the customer service, I don't have to convert or MacGyver anything - I buy it, put gas in it, and run it. Bullet Proof reliability and no surprises when I'm 7-8 hours away from the closest paved road. I don't ever recall having a good or bad experience from Honda ….. why? ….. because in 25+ years I don't ever recall ever needing them to fix, repair or warranty anything.

I refuse to buy anything with a supposedly "American Brand" like Briggs and Straton which was a piece a junk when it was made in the USA and now, that they are made in China is worse. I don't need the headache and don't want to waste my money fixing something that you paid for and are expected to work properly. Is that too much to ask?

As I get older, and I will be 50 soon enough, I remember the advice my dad told me "I can't afford to buy the cheapest brands or things" …. one ruined trip and the extra bucks you saved seems like bad idea all of a sudden.

Last edited by EZM; 07-02-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
YUP …. and not to rain on the OP's thread or be a snob, but, let's be honest, you get what you pay for. All my small engines, generators, outboards, tractors are all quality brands like Kubota (Tractor) or Honda.

I turn the key, or pull the rope and it starts, every single time. I don't have to figure out how to make it run properly or test the customer service, I don't have to convert or MacGyver anything - I buy it, put gas in it, and run it. Bullet Proof reliability and no surprises when I'm 7-8 hours away from the closest paved road.

I refuse to buy anything with a supposedly "American Brand" like Briggs and Straton which was a piece a junk when it was made in the USA and now, that they are made in China is worse. I don't need the headache and don't want to waste my money fixing something that you paid for and are expected to work properly. Is that too much to ask?

As I get older, and I will be 50 soon enough, I remember the advice my dad told me "I can't afford to buy the cheapest brands or things" …. one ruined trip and the extra bucks you saved seems like bad idea all of a sudden.
well after looking at reviews etc and the duration people ran them/used and abused them put that all into the equation of cost....this was the direction I went...I am a honda, Yamaha fella but got a craftsman ride on lawnmower that just keeps on going....14 years strong....4 hrs of run time every week to keep this property looking good.....now I got this generator to run the house when power is out.....getting electrician in tomorrow...

Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Not to rain on your parade but many of the internal engine parts on the Honda gennys have been made in China for several years now. If you do some research there is lots online. Even Honda is trying to put some profit before quality. Unfortunately it is everywhere. Just like all the people that were buying Marcum cameras because they were made in the U.S.A. Then opened them up when they crashed and burned and found made in China printed all over. It is a gamble and I hate to buy Chinese stuff unless I have too or I find something really good but if it comes out of a factory where they have our standards and our people over there there is a good chance of it being good.

The majority of the fishing reels we use are all made there too even some of the more popular and better names as they farm them all out. Only a few still made in Japan and Sweden as examples.

Just do like me and try to avoid them unless you find a smoking deal that will work for you or just expect a throw away product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I turn the key, or pull the rope and it starts, every single time. I don't have to figure out how to make it run properly or test the customer service, I don't have to convert or MacGyver anything - I buy it, put gas in it, and run it. Bullet Proof reliability and no surprises when I'm 7-8 hours away from the closest paved road. I don't ever recall having a good or bad experience from Honda ….. why? ….. because in 25+ years I don't ever recall ever needing them to fix, repair or warranty anything.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:06 AM

I think the cheap generators have their place, but it's not in a campground. I've camped beside people that startup one of those yellow beasties and let it run all day long and they are sure loud.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
I think the cheap generators have their place, but it's not in a campground. I've camped beside people that startup one of those yellow beasties and let it run all day long and they are sure loud.
ya that's just a jack azz thing to do..but when your in those so called camp grounds expect to be upset from time to time....I would buy a whisper quiet one for those applications but I don't camp amongst strangers...this geny I got is loud...might keep the moose/deer away for a bit

Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Had a 2000W inverter.
It worked fine I guess. A bit hard starting. Felt like the choke knob was going to fall out everytime I used it. It ended up leaking oil after 2 seasons. Called customer service hoping to find a shop to have it looked at. They informed me it was no longer under warranty even though it was purchased within the warranty period. Hell, the manufacturing date on the tag was still in the warranty period. Argued with a couple different customer service reps, got fed up and brought it back to Costco.

Waited for a Yamaha or a Honda to go on sale. Ended up with a Yamaha for $900. Its quieter and much easier to get going. Overall, it has been a much better unit.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Not to rain on your parade but many of the internal engine parts on the Honda gennys have been made in China for several years now. If you do some research there is lots online. Even Honda is trying to put some profit before quality. Unfortunately it is everywhere. Just like all the people that were buying Marcum cameras because they were made in the U.S.A. Then opened them up when they crashed and burned and found made in China printed all over. It is a gamble and I hate to buy Chinese stuff unless I have too or I find something really good but if it comes out of a factory where they have our standards and our people over there there is a good chance of it being good.

The majority of the fishing reels we use are all made there too even some of the more popular and better names as they farm them all out. Only a few still made in Japan and Sweden as examples.

Just do like me and try to avoid them unless you find a smoking deal that will work for you or just expect a throw away product.
Rain away - I realize there are parts made in China that go into Honda, and that's true of any major manufacturer but I think you eluded to a critical piece of the puzzle ....

If 2 things happen, withing the sourcing, supply chain and manufacturing process, you can produce a product which is consistent and reliable. That's something Honda, Kubota, Yamaha, and other companies do better compared to other manufacturers. Some of those components are made in China.

But they invest the time and money to control their components, lower cost manufacturers do not - they just bid and buy.

First, understand which components are "critical to reliable operation" compared to the next component, which may no be "as critical" ... this comes through a FMEA process.

Second, control and implement manufacturing process controls, employ SPC, and other QA protocols to ensure you are building a consistent quality product or component in those "partner plants".

I've done some time in China, and have set up a few JV manufacturing operations in my younger years, and, at the end of the day, this had to happen otherwise, and without prejudice, the Chinese would cheat. They would stop testing or monitoring the quality of raw materials coming in, not watch or control cycle/temperature/or procedural things during the actual manufacturing process and falsify MTR's, SPC, etc..

And this happened the minute you walked out the door - so having independent people on site in a JV situation (which is what Honda does) is not anything at all like comparing "other" companies who simply "purchase" components from China.

There is a BIG distinction there - and it costs more - but the results are crystal clear when it comes to quality, reliability, durability and consistency.

There's far more to it than where it's made. China can make quality components, but they produce what is asked of them. If the consumer wants cheap, they make cheap. If you need something consistent - they can do it - but just like here - it costs more.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Instead of running it dry, remove the 2 screws from the service panel and on the bottom of the carburetor bowl there is a drain valve and attached drain line. Back the drain screw out a turn or so and the fuel in the bowl will drain out.
Good to know thanks!