Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 AM

Default Narrows at Slave

Any one been to the narrows? can you drive out? Want to make the trip, but would prefer to drive out vs. using the sled...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Haven't been to the narrow yet this year but heard there's a large ice heav right when you head on the lake. I'd take the sled just in case and see if there's tracks.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Theres plenty of ice on Lesser Slave, I was out to Cutbank yesterday, and there was a good 18 inches.

Can't say for the Narrows, but there sure is a lot of ice heaves and uneven places all over the west end.

My advice would be to follow tracks that are already there - go where others have gone.

I wouldn't try to make my own way on that lake right now.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM

I need to get a "shack" hauled out to Canyon Creek. Wonder if any one has been driving on at Canyon yet?

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube View Post
I need to get a "shack" hauled out to Canyon Creek. Wonder if any one has been driving on at Canyon yet?
I don't think you would have any trouble getting on Canyon, trucks have been driving pretty easy out at nine mile point which isnt too far off.

As far as the narrows, i seen first hand the variations of ice thickness on normal yrs....there is no way i'm going out there this yr
Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
I don't think you would have any trouble getting on Canyon, trucks have been driving pretty easy out at nine mile point which isnt too far off.

As far as the narrows, i seen first hand the variations of ice thickness on normal yrs....there is no way i'm going out there this yr
Yup. I've seen variations of up to a foot out at the narrows. I am amazed at how much the water moves over there and is quite noticeable on the underwater camera. The only way I would ever go there is with a quad or sled.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. Lots of moving water out there. Play it safe guys.

Dace
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM

I had a buddy moving shacks out there last yr with his hagglund, he was going to bring another shack out, when a snowcat was skidding one out, took a different line and the snowcat broke through.

Another time i was there, we needed an extention to get through the ice, i moved about a mile to the east and drilled, i was about 150 yrds away from a heave and there was only about a foot of ice there. From that day forward i was always cautious about the ice there....strong currents

Last edited by Shmag; 01-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM

So true, I had my shack out there for two years but with the extreme amounts of snow and the crazy ice conditions I moved it closer to town and now have it at assiano. Fishing at the narrows was probably the best but not worth it in my books, the last year I had my shack out there we had to use a tracked argo to get it off because there was no way to ever get a truck close to the lake.

Quote:
I had a buddy moving shacks out there last yr with his hagglund, he was going to bring another shack out, when a snowcat was skidding one out, took a different line and the snowcat broke through.

Another time i was there, we needed an extention to get through the ice, i moved about a mile to the east and drilled, i was about 150 yrds away from a heave and there was only about a foot of ice there. From that day forward i was always cautious about the ice there....strong currents