Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Default is cross lake as busy as they say

cross was once my go to places I mite go out sometime soon but is it really as busy as they say... is it even worth while I know some of y'all have been there this winter please retort thx
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Yes.

My last weekend trip there I seen probably 500 people on the lake.

I've been going there for years as well. Used to be quiet place in the summer until the GOVERNMENT added the campground to the reserve a site program. Now for some idd reason it's a popular place to fish and camp. Funny how that is.

Don't let that stop you. It's still a good place to fish.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
cross was once my go to places I mite go out sometime soon but is it really as busy as they say... is it even worth while I know some of y'all have been there this winter please retort thx
The lake is really busy. Full of morons who like to go 50 kmh in there truck by your holes.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM

rite on man thx is the lake completely covered in holes or do ya think I mite find a quieter spot I mite not even bother but I'm goin somewhere good on Sunday maybe utikama but I wanna stay closer any ideas where the hello I should go I'm not keeping fish maybe shoot me a pm if ya got a place in mind
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM

A catch and release perch fisherman???? That's a new one
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
I only keep my perch maybe 50 percent of the time. Last 2 times i was out i gave them away to people who wern't catching. I rarely keep any fish... Except a walleye once in a while
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Are any of the lakes in the back country out there getting hit hard i would like to skidoo or quad into some different terrain for fun, and not see 100s of people. I'm thinking francis or september.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 PM

On the way to Francis you drive right past Banana which feeds Francis, then to Cross. It is deep. Try there, the move on.

Drewski
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Francis and Banana both winterkilled over the past 2 years...I stopped at Cross on the way home from Francis 2 weeks ago, talked to FW Officer about it, explained why I never got a bite at Francis in two hours, it's a shame, Francis had some humpies and nice size pike...
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
There are few of us around. Just there for the memories, not to fill the freezer and rape the lake.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Sorry, but I catch perch to eat. I very seldom come home with a limit but this year its been limits all the time. I have been to cross two times, limit both , but will not go again this year as the lake has been good to me, and now its time to explore other lakes. I will go to a lake two or three times in a year at most, then move on. I feel that if it's good to me then I will let it replenish. I fish because I like it but also to put some fresh food in the tummy. Got to pay for the gas some how. $60.00 for gas and $30.00 of fish, seems fair to me. Not including all the other fishing expenses. Not everyone has money falling out of their pockets. As I said in other posts, ( I would support the closing of all lakes for a year or two ) . Would not hurt my feelings, if it helped giving us a better fishery. Would also put money in my pocket. Probly save more than $500/year.

Last edited by Kim473; 01-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM

Ya that would nice.Even if they do the same thing as wabamun can't keep any,do that for a year or 2.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Sorry, but I catch perch to eat. I very seldom come home with a limit but this year its been limits all the time. I have been to cross two times, limit both , but will not go again this year as the lake has been good to me, and now its time to explore other lakes. I will go to a lake two or three times in a year at most, then move on. I feel that if it's good to me then I will let it replenish. I fish because I like it but also to put some fresh food in the tummy. Got to pay for the gas some how. $60.00 for gas and $30.00 of fish, seems fair to me. Not including all the other fishing expenses. Not everyone has money falling out of their pockets. As I said in other posts, ( I would support the closing of all lakes for a year or two ) . Would not hurt my feelings, if it helped giving us a better fishery. Would also put money in my pocket. Probly save more than $500/year.
I wish more folks shared your morals, one of the reasons I stopped killing fish was to try and buffer what the lake rapers were doing.

Lake raper - A term that was developed on Gull Lake in the 90's for the local folks who would catch a limit of whitefish in the morning, drive home, drop off their catch in a snow bank close to the house, and return to the lake for another limit or two. On the same day of course. It is probably a universal term happening on many fisheries.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the info, might still go try for the heck of it. Hopefully the odd fish survived, for me its usually the trip that makes it all worth it.