Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Fishing in Playa Del Carmen?

Hey gang

Okay the trip is booked. I'm thinking I really should endulge and book a day on the water and try to catch something big. I've never been to Mexico, or anywhere like it for that matter, and I've never been deep sea fishing so I have no idea what to expect or how to go about it. Anyone have any experience in that area?

Thanks
Deano
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM

no answer but I may be headed that way later this year, or Hawaii, if I can find enough change in the couch

so I have the same question....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

I've read allot of good reviews about Captain Rick's in Puerto Aventuras just a bit south of Playa Del Carmen. You can find some info about the charter if you do a search of this forum and they also have a website if you do a google search. I think that they have a chart by month of what fish you are most likely to catch.

I just got back from Cancun and I spoke with a few American fellas that went out with Captain Rick's. Their boat was the Obsession and the Captain was an American named Captain Jeff. They were really happy with the charter. They went out for the day (8hrs?) and hammered about 20 to 30 sailfish while trolling and then a whole lot of other fish while bottom fishing.

http://www.captricksfishing.com/index.php

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Nothing bad to say about Captain Ricks....used him last year and caught my first and only sailfish.
We just got back from Mexico,we were staying up north of Cancun this time so went with a boat that could pick us up right at our beach and fished sorta north and east of Isle Mujures.
Fishing wasn't great,caught some cuda and big papanu but no sail fish.
Sea conditions were the worst I have ever seen....or care to see.
15ft rollers for a flatlander are a bit much,I couldn't even drink a beer for fear of losing it!
My better half was worse off and had to lean over the side a few times....the fishing trip was sorta wasted for her!
We were in a 34fter and couldn't believe seeing smaller boats out there in that crap but it's what they are used to...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

I booked a trip with "Fishing with Ivan" just this past November and I couldnt say anything bad about it. 5 of us went out and caught a pile of Barracuda and a really nice 5' sailfish. When we went it wasnt a very ideal time of year for carribean fishing but we managed to do alright.

The price was very reasonable and the service we received from Ivan was awesome.

His website
http://www.sportfishingplayadelcarmen.com/Home.html
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

X 3 on cptn rick's
been out with them 3 times and have yet to disappoint; other than one slow day (that was in no way the captain being lazy, just a bunch of small fish that day and no marlin)
cheers
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys; all good info!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
We just got back from Mexico,we were staying up north of Cancun this time.......
Sea conditions were the worst I have ever seen....or care to see.
15ft rollers for a flatlander are a bit much,I couldn't even drink a beer for fear of losing it!
I just got back as well but we cancelled our charter. We did the rolling around in the swells thingy last year so we skipped it this year. There was no fear of losing any beer where we were.

For $450 the charter operator wanted to take us fishing in the lagoon. I'm not sure for what.......alligators.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM

you'd be suprised what swims around in there
shark to name one... (not to mention flyfishing for bones and tarpon)
cheers