Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
What about military gore tex rain suits?

Has anyone had experience with them? I would think that they would be top of the line but I could be totally wrong.
I have a TAD hard shell, not cheap but very nice!!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM

You'll be disappointed in the Viking stuff. I know that from experience. Its OK in a light rain, but if it's really raining, you'll be dry for an hour or so, and then you'll be soaked to the bone.

I'd avoid a rubber lined suit too, you can't be comfortable in all the weather conditions fishing requires wearing essentially a garbage bag. It needs to breathe in my opinion.

Do yourself a favour and go with good quality Goretex jacket and bib, even if you have to go one piece at a time, it's worth it and it'll last you a long time. Cabelas, BPS, Frabil, etc... are all good, but any good quality brand name suit will get the job done.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
You'll be disappointed in the Viking stuff. I know that from experience. Its OK in a light rain, but if it's really raining, you'll be dry for an hour or so, and then you'll be soaked to the bone.

I'd avoid a rubber lined suit too, you can't be comfortable in all the weather conditions fishing requires wearing essentially a garbage bag. It needs to breathe in my opinion.

Do yourself a favour and go with good quality Goretex jacket and bib, even if you have to go one piece at a time, it's worth it and it'll last you a long time. Cabelas, BPS, Frabil, etc... are all good, but any good quality brand name suit will get the job done.
Agree.

Have tried Frogg Toggs didn't work for me. An upper end Goretex is the way to go.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

I actually found a really good deal on a Cabelas insulated guidewear suit that is within my budget and will be sending the money to the guy early this week.

Glad to know the Viking stuff isn't worth getting because I almost bought the thor suit but decided to do some research on a bunch of different suits before spending my money.

I did find a really good deal on German military gore tex type rain gear that I may still get for warm weather gear and some hunting.