View Poll Results: Quality Fisheriesin your area
Want multiple 39 79.59%
Want one 3 6.12%
Dont want any 3 6.12%
Dont care 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Quality Fisheries part 2

Time to revisit, yes there have been threads before. However, what do you fisherpeople want to see in regards to quality fisheries?

Would you like to see lots of quality fisheries, one, dont want, don't care?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't object to multiple quality fisheries in an area.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

define "quality"
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
define "quality"
Carp someones gotta put me on the spot right off the start

How bout a "fishery managed for size over quantity. And where harvest is not the prime focus, but does not mean no keeping of fish". I do not want to use the word trophy cause that gets the hackles up on some people.

Hows that?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Carp someones gotta put me on the spot right off the start

How bout a "fishery managed for size over quantity. And where harvest is not the prime focus, but does not mean no keeping of fish". I do not want to use the word trophy cause that gets the hackles up on some people.

Hows that?
I would say, lakes like Wabamun all around.

The fish Wabamun has in it, everytime you go the chances of catching a solid 20lb pike are in you're favor.

I'm not a fan of going to these so called, quality walleye fisheries, where you only catch 2lb walleye, that are all the same. I want quality, and size. Wabamun and Pigeon during the summer have no time in producing 40+ landed fish per person days, but Wabamuns quality of fish is so much better.

Why? 0 keep limit in my opinion. Shut Pigeon down for a few years completely, let mother nature run its course, and see what happens.

If I want to keep walleye, I will make the drive to Slave instead, or any other lake 3-4 hours away. I want quality an hour from the city, not quantity.

Hence why I spend majority of my time in the summer along the banks of the North Sask.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

quality fishery = 10% of trout > 50cm.

I figure once a fishery is designated the pressure will increase significantly.

How many people were bobber fishing ice cream cones before bullshead was what it is now?

My guess would be not too many.

The whole idea that a fishery with no natural reproduction can be a quality fishery baffles me.

Might as well catch a brood imo.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

How many people were bobber fishing ice cream cones before bullshead was what it is now?

The whole idea that a fishery with no natural reproduction can be a quality fishery baffles me.

Not sure if the 10% is fish in the lake or caught fish, if it's caught fish then BH is a miserable failure. Not because those fish aren't there but because they are difficult to catch. Early spring and fall they appear, but summer, tough go.

Yes the pressure increases significantly, because people enjoy catching larger fish. Down here it's all we have, and no they are nothing like brood.

In my mind the plus of a quality fishery is not the fish over 50cm but the fact that fish average over 15".

I would love to see a couple more down here in the south. I was amazed at the amount of people traveling long distances to fish BH, a lot of people from Cal. and a surprising amount from Ed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM

We have what they classify as Trophy fisheries around . I think its more important to maintain those locations rather then try to make every lake a Trophy class lake . Now I know I'm going to get quoted and asked how do I figure . A Trophy class lake is classified that more then just from the size of the fish that come out of it . Its about average .
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

x2

despite the fact that Alberta might be much more limited in fishing options compared to other provinces.

There is still plenty of decent fish and enjoyable fishing opportunities.

Just look at the pics that get posted.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM

I'd rather see SRD try to maintain sustainable harvest levels in many lakes rather than designate them as quality fisheries.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that a 25 inch rainbow that is stocked at 25 inches is the same fish as one stocked at 4 inches and grows to 25 inches?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

This is all a matter of opinion.

My opinion is a triploid is a triploid is a triploid.

While it is almost always fun to haul in a good size fish, I would rather go catch a 25" trout that is the progeny of a wild fish and whose progeny will be likewise. Happily, those opportunities seem to abound.

It's the circle of life as opposed to a caged hunt.

That's just my $0.05.

Do you see any significant differences between the big bows you stock in sundance and the smaller ones?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
This is all a matter of opinion.

My opinion is a triploid is a triploid is a triploid.

While it is almost always fun to haul in a good size fish, I would rather go catch a 25" trout that is the progeny of a wild fish and whose progeny will be likewise. Happily, those opportunities seem to abound.

It's the circle of life as opposed to a caged hunt.

That's just my $0.05.

Do you see any significant differences between the big bows you stock in sundance and the smaller ones?
That's the nice thing about Canada, you are free to do that. While others would be free to catch stocked fish. That has been the case all along. However, some would just like to catch some of those with a higher average size. That's where the quality issues come in.