Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Default Live Shrimp = Big Perch

Checked regs again! Live shrimp are ok, considered same as Dew Worms.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I have ice fished all over AB and into sask. Never seen more then the occasional shrimp. The other day, I have never seen shrimp like that before, and it was in a small shallow lake that I would call prone to winter kill.

So my experiences tell me that it is a sign of winterkill. It seems the shrimp have no predators and have been multiplying freely.

Interesting to hear your guys thoughts...

We quaded into some lakes out west in the crown, same thing, tons of shrimp and no fish. I know historically the jack/perch fishing was deadly in this lake, but didn't see anything. There was no weeds and we drilled holes all over. I suspect a winter on this lake.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM

I was fly fishing at a local lake this spring and I had liteally thousands of shrimp attach themselves to my waders everytime I went out....so many actually that when Geezle and some of his friends were out we saved some for one of the girls to feed her fish.

That lake did not winterkill.....I would say IMHO there is no correlation to shrimp# vs winterkill.

LC
Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM

One of the best lakes I fish for big humpies has scuds or fresh water shrimp like that. Not sure why but you would drill a hole and every now and again you turn the ice black with them. This lake hasn't winter killed and produces every year.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM

I used to go to a place all the time... Soo many fish, couldn't keep them off the hook.. literally. One year, the water turned a rusty color.. Shrimp everywhere, so many you couldn't count when you punched a hole. I've never caught a fish there since.. trapped 1 sucker.. nothing else. Wouldn't think it would always be the case, especially considering scuds are a major food diet.. but they are obviously extremely tolerant of poor conditions.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Scoop the shrimp!perhaps a large version of scuds??....save them for bait-perch and trout go crazy for em!!!
I tried burbot fishing at an X location given by a dubious source....probably a false info thing....but tons of these grey shrimp came up the hole. I kept them for bait-couldnt keep the perch off the hook when I used them.

I froze them as dead bait as per regs. but they are better than any bought bait!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM

It has no correlation the shrimp i my opinion means the other zooilogical part is working good.. you can have lots of shrimp and the lake has never winter killed or the other way. same with boatman.. i saw lots of boatman this year in and out of my hole and then wham there was a lake whitefish swallowing my wire worm no bait.. set the hook .. ahhh gheee i missed , got one missed 6 ,the next time we went out i got 7 out of 7 hitsLake Whitefish Cache Lake 2011 Dec 7 hits 7 fish.jpg

Long Lake by Edson is one lake that has a great Shimp beds area has nice jumbo perch

Lots this year at Obed in Dec and lots of Perch

Food for Thought
David
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM

I remember fishing Cache Lake in the early 80's and used to be great perch and pike fishing but around Feb early Mar the shrimp population increased and it was very difficult to catch anything . That lake winterkilled and to my knowledge has never recovered unless some one knows differently .
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Winterkilled.